Someone stole my motor!

AndyM

Reaction score
Not really! But I had a few glasses of wine last night and here's what happened:

BMWMotor023.jpg

Then I had a few more -- and things really got interesting:

BMWMotor024.jpg

Now, I'm just not sure where all these parts go. Do you think it would help if I had an owner's manual?

BMWMotor016.jpg

The strange part is that the 3.0 knocked and smoked like a chimney -- but the cylinder walls look absolutely perfect! It looks like the valves have become a little too friendly with the pistons on occasion -- but I can't tell why. I don't know the history of this motor at all -- its a later '86ish head on the stock CSi block. I don't care much either -- with the 3.5, shrick cammed motor ready to drop in!

corsachili

Reaction score
That all looks very familiar.....................I even have the same engine stand. Nothing like combining alcohol consumption with the use of heavy equipment, or tools that are capable of removing limbs.

AndyM

Reaction score
corsachili said:
Nothing like combining alcohol consumption with the use of heavy equipment, or tools that are capable of removing limbs.

Its all about moderation. :D But I do recommend staying away from any alcohol when using angle grinders, air tools, cutting torches, welders, etc. -- they're dangerous enough as is.

This should be an interesting swap. The current plan is to remove all of the D-Jet components and replace them with modern sensors, injectors and a fully-programmable GM speed-density ECU. I'll be building a custom wiring harness with all factory connectors (splices aren't allowed!) all the way back to the stock location. I'm going to run "fuel-only" at first and let the distributor control the timing (like the stock D-Jet set-up), then will see about running the timing off the ECU once I get it set up and broken in. I chose the GM stuff over the standard motronic conversion since it allows much greater tunability and it will be very difficult to tell its not stock (no AFM!). Plus, I can get new sensors anywhere and any half-competent mechanic can plug their scan tool in and troubleshoot it without getting too confused. I finished rounding up all the parts -- now I just need to find the time to get 'er done.

Malc

Reaction score
Andy,
Injection / ignition control sounds interesting, are you using SDI (Simple Digital ignition), somebody else or designing and building your own?

I ask as that's what I am planning, after all the welding of course!
Thanks
Malc

AndyM

Reaction score
Malc -- I'm building my own system using a GM ECU. Its much cheaper than an SDI or anything like that. Plus, I can get a replacement ECU from any junkyard pretty much anywhere and just swap the chip once I have it all set up. The support for the GM ECU is incredible. For about $300, I bought everything I need to reprogram any parameter in the ECU (ignition advance, fuel and timing maps, etc.) while "on the fly". I built a WB02 sensor a few months ago which will give me real time air/fuel ratio readings -- which really helps for tuning idle and WOT. Plus, the GM ECUs have a "Block Learn Multiplier" built in which "remembers" how far off the programming is from stoichiometric and adjusts accordingly. You can easily access the BLMs to figure out how far off your mixture is at any given MAP/RPM and manually adjust it. There's a learning curve, but its pretty easy to tune. I've done a few of these conversions before (but not on a BMW) with excellent results. I'll keep you posted as I go. Unfortunately, with a full-time job and two small kids, these projects always take me many, many months to complete. Maybe I'll have it done by the time you finish welding up that front clip. :lol:

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Andy, I have no idea what you just said although it sounds as though all the BMW motronic stuff can be replaced with GM stuff. If this is so, you'll have to write up a tech article to tell us ECU inhanced but electronically challenged folks how to make the swap.

Malc

Reaction score
Andy,
Definitely would like to know how to do injection / ignition with GM stuff.
I suspect GM components are the same world wide ...
Please let me know how and what is needed.

Understand the "other" comitments take up your time :wink:
Cheers
Malc

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Andy- are you doing a MegaSquirt-based GM coil system, or are you trying to actually modify a stock GM ECU?

AndyM

Reaction score
Philip Slate said:
Andy, I have no idea what you just said although it sounds as though all the BMW motronic stuff can be replaced with GM stuff. If this is so, you'll have to write up a tech article to tell us ECU inhanced but electronically challenged folks how to make the swap.

Phil -- I'll take pictures. The only really difficult part is the programming -- but its easier than burning a custom chip for a Motronic set up. I wouldn't say the rest is bolt-on, but its certainly no more difficult than the Motronic conversion using a D-Jet or L-Jet manifold.

x_atlas0 -- No Megasquirt -- I'm modifying a stock GM ECU. I have a Megasquirt I built last year which I may use on something at some point, but I want to try to use the GM ECU first. I like the idea of finding a replacement ECU at any wrecking yard or autoparts store. With the Megasquirt or any other "aftermarket" ECU, I'd never feel comfortable without carrying around a fully-programmed spare in the trunk (sorta how I feel about the D-Jet right now). It could easily be converted to Megasquirt at some point -- the sensors are all interchangeable.

Malc -- The GM stuff is pretty much interchangeable as far as sensors go. Here's a short list of what I'm using:

1227730 ECU from certain late 80s/early 90s GM cars. This is the ECU that is used on the "Tuned Port Injection" 305 and 350 Camaros as well as a number of V6 motors. It uses manifold pressure only and does not need a mass air flow sensor. There are a number of others you could use, but this is the one I picked. Check out www.tunercat.com for the various parameters that can be modified on supported ECUs.

Map sensor - standard GM for TBI or TPI

Coolant Temp sensor (CTS) - standard GM for just about anything with F.I.

Intake Air Temp sensor (IAT) - again, standard stuff.

Throttle Position sensor - this one can be tricky - I have one I am going to try to adapt to the stock thottle body, but I may need to dig further.

O2 sensor - standard bosch will work.

Injectors -- standard bosch-style will work. I'm using 24# Accel injectors. The ECU will need to be programmed accordingly.

I'm also using a GM idle air control valve to handle idle stabilization. It will go in place of the stock D-Jet slide valve on the driver's side (um, at least in the U.S.). I bought a harness consisting only of pre-marked wires, but no terminations on the ends. I have all of the stock connectors and the right professional crimp tools for "factory" installations on both ends. Its just a matter of threading it all to the right place, then crimping on the proper terminals.

The other tricky part is figuring out the ignition. I'm currently debating between a Bosch distributor with a VR sensor to trigger an MSD ignition box, which in turn will trigger the ECU, or running a crank trigger. If I want to run full ECU ignition control, I already had the front pulley modified so I can use a sensor on that to trigger a GM ignition module for full timing control. I already have all of the parts for either one, but the current plan is the MSD and let the distributor control the timing until I get the fuel stuff working right.

All of this will be somewhat "stealth" and won't be obviously different from stock (like having a big Air Flow Meter), easy to service and fully tunable. I'll take plenty of pictures as this progresses (slowly) and let you guys know the results. The cool part is that once I get the programming figured out, it would be quite easy to duplicate the motor/cam/injection set up for consistent results.

AndyM

Reaction score
Its mostly so I can do my own maps. The 3.0 was worn out and I didn't feel like spending money on it, so I built the 3.5. My car is a CSi and the stock D-Jet can't adjust to changes in the vacuum profile resulting from the larger camshaft and displacement. Plus, its an outdated system. Mine works, but requires constant attention. My goal here is to have a fully adjustable, modern fuel injection system that looks like stock D-Jet to the untrained eye.

Oh, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Malc

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Join the club! :wink:

THanks for the information I will have a look to see if the parts are available in the UK / Europe. Maybe an international effort is required...
Cheers
Malc