Source for dash mounting clip

jmackro

Reaction score
I have the dash out of my coupe for restoration. When I removed it, I found that during my coupe's life, someone had pulled the dash before (Or, the factory did a sloppy job of installing it). Either way, of the four clips that hold the top dashpad to the metal, only three were present.

When I asked my BMW parts supplier to order a fourth clip for me, he tried to find it on the Mobile Tradition site (see illustration below) - no dice - the clip isn't pictured. The parts guy said that BMW uses about 10,000 different clips - he didn't know if another clip for some other BMW model could be substituted.

Does anyone have a BMW part number for the clip pictured, or know of a workable substitute?

jmackro

Reaction score
I have the dash out of my coupe for restoration. When I removed it, I found that during my coupe's life, someone had pulled the dash before (Or, the factory did a sloppy job of installing it). Either way, of the four clips that hold the top dashpad to the metal, only three were present.

When I asked my BMW parts supplier to order a fourth clip for me, he tried to find it on the Mobile Tradition site (see illustration below) - no dice - the clip isn't pictured. The parts guy said that BMW uses about 10,000 different clips - he didn't know if another clip for some other BMW model could be substituted.

Does anyone have a BMW part number for the clip pictured, or know of a workable substitute?

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Got one,send me your address and I'll send it out.Fair warning tho,once these babies have broken loose from their factory mounting they are reluctant to stay in place when you try to press the dash back into the car.I made the mistake of spraying them with silicone so they would slip into the sheet metal slots easier but then when I needed to glue them to the dash the glue wouldn't hold because of the silicone residue.Much frustration.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Got one,send me your address and I'll send it out.Fair warning tho,once these babies have broken loose from their factory mounting they are reluctant to stay in place when you try to press the dash back into the car.I made the mistake of spraying them with silicone so they would slip into the sheet metal slots easier but then when I needed to glue them to the dash the glue wouldn't hold because of the silicone residue.Much frustration.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
My dash had a set to it and the clips wouldn't hold it in place.

I used thin threaded rod with a hook end tucked into each clip hole in the dash trim, so using a nut and washer from below, the dash was pulled down firmly.

If I was doing it again, I'd use longer rod and a spacer, perhaps PVC tubing, so that getting the nut and washer on took fewer hours.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
My dash had a set to it and the clips wouldn't hold it in place.

I used thin threaded rod with a hook end tucked into each clip hole in the dash trim, so using a nut and washer from below, the dash was pulled down firmly.

If I was doing it again, I'd use longer rod and a spacer, perhaps PVC tubing, so that getting the nut and washer on took fewer hours.

jmackro

Reaction score
Oldcoupe:

Hmm, that's a creative idea. One thing I have done in the past for situations like this is to use wingnuts, rather than hex nuts. It is pretty easy to reach up and turn a wingnut - much easier than using a tiny wrench or socket, and trying to tighten a nut that you can't see. If the clips don't grab, I may try your idea of threaded fasteners.

jmackro

Reaction score
Oldcoupe:

Hmm, that's a creative idea. One thing I have done in the past for situations like this is to use wingnuts, rather than hex nuts. It is pretty easy to reach up and turn a wingnut - much easier than using a tiny wrench or socket, and trying to tighten a nut that you can't see. If the clips don't grab, I may try your idea of threaded fasteners.