Southern WI, 2800CS Barn Find

CMWalker

Reaction score
Hello all! New-ish member from Janesville, Wisconsin. I bought a nearly pristine "barn find" about a year ago. PO had purchased many gaskets and trim items in the 90's with plans for paint work and restoration.

Sadly (for him anyway) he passed before even getting started. Happily (for me!) my wife made the deal with his estate and bought a lovely 1970 2800CS with only 73K actual miles.

As near as I can tell it is completely rust free!!! But the Polaris silver is in need of work. Dusty, chalky on the hood, trunk, and roof. I've redone the fuel system (Triple Webers!), flushed the brakes, and replaced the water pump. Feels like it's ready to drive anywhere! Except...

Hard braking at speed pulls car to the left. Again, to the left, then... to the right??? Hard to figure what's going on there? Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 340

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, nice. Your brake calipers are sticking and or frozen from sitting around so long, suggest having them rebuilt, do a search here on the site for the members' suggestions. Feel free to post more pics of your car including the webers....

tmason

Reaction score
Nice find!I love the words "my wife made the deal":) So is it her car?

shanon

Reaction score
Triples and sporting a set of 2pc WEDs (15x7?) rims....good find.

Enjoy and welcome to 'coupedom'.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
CM (name?): Welcome to coupe ownership. I'm in Milwaukee and Mario (you out there?) is also nearby with a one-owner, well-preserved coupe he acquired last year. We ought to get the 3 coupes together sometime now that the snow is decidedly gone and nice weather has finally arrived.

mario1017

Reaction score
Luis, I thought 2 coupes in MKE was good, but 3 is a crowd!
CK look forward to meeting you.....
Welcome!

CMWalker

Reaction score
Thanks!

Where to start? Thanks for the welcomes.

Currently replacing the water pump. Looks like a non standard plumbing setup may have been used under the Webers as the stock t'stat to manifold hose doesn't fit.

Brakes are next. Will pull the calipers and see what I can determine. Replaced the lines at the wheel already.

Yes, we call it my wife's car. There's a very interesting, but long, back story I'll share sometime. I also own a 1989 325is, an M Coupe, and an E39 530. So the CS is the oldest and "classic-est" in the group.

Look forward to a WI meet up sometime! Luis and Mario, maybe you guys can share some repair tips in due time. Will find all the pix and post up soon!

Name's Craig Walker, located in Janesville.

CMWalker

Reaction score
VIN Info

VIN is 2270162. Will see if I can add some info on my profile. Had to downsize the engine shot. Here's the Webers w/o the Alpina intake box.

Attachments

• Webers.jpg
    Webers.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 235

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting. It looks like one of the POs had a fuel injection setup. Why leave the D-jet air filter box in place then?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. I had always assumed the Alpina box had the filter inside (wrong). Thanks.

CMWalker

Reaction score
Mine looks just like that, but I' missing the large hose between intake and airbox. I found one that I think will fit, and have it on order.

DaYouper

Reaction score
brakeing issue

generally if it pulls to the right for example then the left side brake caliper is not working properly, pucks stuck and not expanding thus no braking on that side and will "pull" to the side the brakes are working,,,suggest a caliper kit job on BOTH sides,, although with some of my friends in the auto parts business, I can get new or rebuilt calipers for a fair price and a lot less hassle then disassembly, honeing, reassmbly, etc,,,
if you take that thing for a "Sunday drive" come UP and see me in "Da UP", always in my garage working on something, mostly BMW's including a '73 3.0CS in progress, maybe even have used calipers if you might need parts,, (906) 286-1387

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cameraderie

generally if it pulls to the right for example then the left side brake caliper is not working properly, pucks stuck and not expanding thus no braking on that side and will "pull" to the side the brakes are working,,,suggest a caliper kit job on BOTH sides,, although with some of my friends in the auto parts business, I can get new or rebuilt calipers for a fair price and a lot less hassle then disassembly, honeing, reassmbly, etc,,,
if you take that thing for a "Sunday drive" come UP and see me in "Da UP", always in my garage working on something, mostly BMW's including a '73 3.0CS in progress, maybe even have used calipers if you might need parts,, (906) 286-1387

Every time I see a post like this it makes me glad to be a part of this group. I have ben the recipient of a lot of help from guys like HBCris, and bfeng and I have to tell you, it make the whole E9 ownership experience special!

jamesw

Reaction score
When I re-did my brakes on my 3.0CS last year I bought a full set of 2800 calipers by mistake. I would LOVE to get rid of them so if you're looking for some please drop me a line.

And GREAT barn find.

Cheers
James

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
James,

by a full set, you mean 2? as 2800cs had rear drums. if you have a set of calipers for vented rears, i am in the market.