Spare wheel

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
this is really just navel gazing, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

Currently I have Rial mesh alloys fitted to my CSL, they're 15" and staggered, and I've a fifth one in the boot as a spare
Now I've managed to track a set of correct 7Jx14 Alpinas, which have been refurbed and will be fitted very soon, but I only have a set of 4

So what do I carry as a spare? Options.....
Leave the current Rial mesh in situ
Find a 5th 5 hole 14" alpina alloy (may take a while)
Compromise and track down either a 10 hole alpina alloy, or even a 6J alpina
Go entirely off piste and fit something else

Was thinking a 6Jx14 steel rim might actually be lighter than a 7J alloy?
Or even a space saver wheel from a more recent BMW??

Answers on a postcard please
:)

i have one of these wheels as a spare to go with my coupeking alpina 16's. works great for a spare

I'd keep the mesh spare wheel for now, and start searching for a single Alpina wheel. As Markos said, they do pop up for sale once in a while.

Another thought might be a steel space saving (skinny) spare. It might provide a tiny bit of storage space for those extra red handled screwdrivers, not to mention it might weigh slightly less than the other mentioned alternatives.

thanks, I'll do a bit of research on spacesavers, but hopefully I can pick up a 5th 5 hole wheel. No hurry on that front

a spacesaver wheel has got to be worth a second or two on the 0-60 dash!?

thanks, I'll do a bit of research on spacesavers, but hopefully I can pick up a 5th 5 hole wheel. No hurry on that front

a spacesaver wheel has got to be worth a second or two on the 0-60 dash!?
Out of curiosity, have you or anyone else tested a space saver as a spare on an e9?

I'd consider a cheap turbine/similar that the size fits; keep looking for the lone Alpina....that way you can keep your mesh set together to sell if that is your ultimate plan for them.
The older that I get the less anal I am (no snickering...) , such that I am considering a cleaned/restored FPS set and selling my Alpinas....aside from shows, etc, who knows the difference...nobody in my family...and they do look PDG. Sorry for such blastphemy.

The older that I get the less anal I am (no snickering...) , such that I am considering a cleaned/restored FPS set and selling my Alpinas....aside from shows, etc, who knows the difference...nobody in my family...and they do look PDG. Sorry for such blastphemy.
No snickers here, Dave. They are beautiful, classic wheels.

The various turbine wheels (they all look about the same to me from 10') seem to have become the default wheel for E9s. A little variety every now and then s a good thing and the stock, FPS wheels are a great alternative to what everyone else is doing.

Back