spark plugs

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is old, but I tried a search and couldn't find what I was looking for...I haven't changed my plugs for maybe 8 years (!), so I went to my local Autozone trying to find Bosch WR8DC plugs and was told NLA, and they no cross-match (!). I will check other stores, but was wondering what plugs the esteemed members of our group are using? NGK? Champion? I would prefer Bosch, but will consider others. My coupe is a 74 3.0CS, with webers, 78K on the odo (or 178K for all I know...) Thanks for the responses.

MMercury

Reaction score
Sorry if this is old, but I tried a search and couldn't find what I was looking for...I haven't changed my plugs for maybe 8 years (!), so I went to my local Autozone trying to find Bosch WR8DC plugs and was told NLA, and they no cross-match (!). I will check other stores, but was wondering what plugs the esteemed members of our group are using? NGK? Champion? I would prefer Bosch, but will consider others. My coupe is a 74 3.0CS, with webers, 78K on the odo (or 178K for all I know...) Thanks for the responses.

The owners manual among other authorities recommended only non-resistor plugs. "WR8DC" is a resistor plug that will function just fine in these cars - but it was not originally recommended. The resistance for radio suppression in these cars was usually found in the plug wire terminals. W8DC, which has now received a different designation from Bosch, was previously labeled W175T30.

From this forum:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4643
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3554

NGK BP6ES = Bosch W7DC
NGK BP5ES = Bosch W8DC
Champion N9y
per manual below/

at_a_glance.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have run NGK in my 2002 for 25+ years and had tremendous luck with them.

Earlier this year I installed BP5ES plugs in my coupe and the good fortune continues.

Actually - I use NGK in all my cars and trucks and uhhh.... mowers, pressure washers, boats, chain saws, blowers....:-D

jmackro

Reaction score
I second what lip277 wrote. NGK BPxES plugs are "head and shoulders" above competing brands in terms of longevity, trouble-free operation, and price/performance. The BP6ES seems like the all-purpose plug - it basicly works in anything, doesn't foul, lasts forever, yadda yadda.

I generally like using European parts in European cars, but in the case of plugs, the Asians have it figured out. And hey, the sparkplugs aren't visible on the big six - tell your Europhile buddies that you have Bosch in there, and they'll never know.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill,

I just bought a set of Bosch Super plugs from Carl Nelson. They require a .030 gap with electronic ignition...

K D

Reaction score
I have always used NGK and have not had problems. I now use NGK BPR6EIX. They are Iridium Electrode Plugs and if you believe the NGK hype they give stronger & more intense spark. They work just fine with my triple webers & 3.5 litres & supposedly good for 60,000k. Although the cost is not that great that they can't be changed more reguarly. Highly recomended.

K D

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
As usual, the coupe group comes through again! I decided to change over to NGK BP5ES and was able to find them in stock at a local National Auto parts store (!). Will see how these work. Thanks for all the useful responses.

shanon

Reaction score
What a timely post, LOL!

Had this very question on the brain this weekend and now know which plug to get.

Thanks Gruppe!

-shanon

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow! The NGKs are a big improvement. Nearly all the hesitation and misfiring in my coupe is gone. I should have taken out the Bosch WR8DCs a long time ago (8 years was too long, even with low mileage I put on the car.)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

I think much of your improvement was due to new (non-resistor) plugs. And maybe the old ones were a bit fouled too.

But - Yes... I've been very impressed with NGK for a long time.