speedo / clock repair

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey guys,

the ODO on my speedo is cooked - the gear freely spins on the shaft ... i haven't been able to get the needle off and don't want to break it so i figured i would send it out ... and send my mechanical clock along as well.

i sent an email to No. Hollywood Speedo. i got a high variable estimate from NHS - 285 to 500 on the speedo and 325 ro 450 for the clock. seems a bit high and not sure why the big variable.

so question is, who else have people used to do the repairs on the instruments so that i can get a second estimate.

thanks in advance
scott

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a guy in Seattle that supposedly does a good job. There is a video about him online. I’ll dig it up.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Andrew ... have dropped him a note. will report back on the pricing + response from NOHO

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am sure there are plenty of good ones out there but Palo Alto speedometer knows the VDO gauges very well! He did a complete set for my 1970 280 SL . They literally look brand new and they are rebuilt and calibrated . The extra money you may spend with them stays in the value of the car I would say!
Mercedes Heritage Center in irvine CA also uses them for all their Guage restoration!
Best wishes

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Scott,
I realise it’s a long way away, Howard’s Instruments in Melbourne fixed my speedo a few moths ago, both odometer and speedometer needed fixing. They did a good job and from memory it was around A$230 turned around in about three weeks.

John

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those who had their odo repaired, can you list duration/mileage since repair. There is a design flaw in these odo's, does the repair fix that slipping gear for good?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For those who had their odo repaired, can you list duration/mileage since repair. There is a design flaw in these odo's, does the repair fix that slipping gear for good?
I had mine fixed about 7 years ago and it has stayed fixed. I admit that if I go 2000 miles a year it is a pretty good year. Probably should check with Andrew "leather butt" Wilson who drives about 30,000 a year :eek:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the difference is in how they are fixed. if the gear is just squeezed onto the shaft it is likely to loosen and slip again. if the gear is replaced with a new gear and perhaps with adhesive it should stay for a long time.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so here's the breakdown from NoHo and Palo Alto

NoHo -
- These usually need complete rebuilds to function correctly without further damage, bushings, springs, gears, star wheels etc. The grease is old and needs to be removed completely. Once they have been worked on, we often find additional, inadvertent damage and the rare parts get very expensive
- speedo - need to see the speedometer to give you an estimate. You are most likely between$285 and $500 on the repair.
- clock ranges from $325 to $450.
- Turn around is 1-5 days,
- 1 year warranty.

PAS -
- In order to get the clock working reliably, and accurately, we will install a new VDO Germany quartz clock movement. The look and connections will stay the same. The cost is $395.00 + shipping, and takes about 3 weeks to complete.
- The speedometer odometer rebuild will cost approximately $265.00 + shipping. We will overhaul the complete mechanism. The turn around time is about 2 weeks.
- All of our work comes with a 2 year warranty.

i haven't priced Seattle Speedo yet ... but i like the video (thanks Mark), i like the personal face the guy puts on his business.

lloyd

Reaction score
hey guys,

the ODO on my speedo is cooked - the gear freely spins on the shaft ... i haven't been able to get the needle off and don't want to break it so i figured i would send it out ... and send my mechanical clock along as well.

i sent an email to No. Hollywood Speedo. i got a high variable estimate from NHS - 285 to 500 on the speedo and 325 ro 450 for the clock. seems a bit high and not sure why the big variable.

so question is, who else have people used to do the repairs on the instruments so that i can get a second estimate.

thanks in advance
scott

Another alternative?
Give these guys a shout and I suspect they can walk you through the process. If it matters, they are based in Virginia. http://www.odometergears.com/faq.php
Should things not work out, there are always the west coast folks you mentioned.;)

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/repair-of-the-odometer-diy.17319/
https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/odometer.14333/

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i have paid 350 € for a rebuild ODO meter in Germany. No core needed.
My clock is still at happy face 1 hour 50 min .. i like it that way :D ( 10 before 2 as we say )

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another alternative?
Give these guys a shout and I suspect they can walk you through the process. If it matters, they are based in Virginia. http://www.odometergears.com/faq.php
Should things not work out, there are always the west coast folks you mentioned.;)

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/repair-of-the-odometer-diy.17319/
https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/odometer.14333/
odometer gears makes the gears that noho or pas use ... but last i knew they didn't actually do the repairs.

Honolulu

Reaction score
As usual, out here in the middle of the pond, I have a different approach.

DO. IT. YOURSELF.

F'rinstance, after decades with a non-working odometer, the guy I go to yearly for a safety check (a necessity for continuing registration) noticed that my mileage didn't change year-for-year. His comment provided the impulse to take out the speedo and clock and carefully go into the odometer bits. I've done a few 2002 units, and the coupe odo is the same-same, all over again. Take out the axle on which the number wheels are mounted, slip in a bit of wire as you withdraw so they don't go all over the place, peen the shaft gently, and as they say, assembly is the reverse. It works.

I gently took off the speedo needle using two spoons. When the time came, I popped the needle back into place like it was meant to be ... which it was.

I went into the speedo of my '85 K100RS several times with moderate results. Used the gears from odometergears.com, good stuff. It seems that 80s-vintage BMW speedos and odos had gears that turned to cheese, but we knew that.

I'm no wizard, no effing-A mechanic, but if it's busted, there's little to lose by having a go at it. Knowing when to stop helps, but odometer repair is nothing that anyone possessed of a little couldn't do. If I did it, so can just about anyone. Checkbook-restoration types probably checked out by now.

2250457 had a clock that hadn't worked since I got the car some 20-plus year ago. I also came across an older, and different, coupe clock (one mechanical-electrical, one fully electrical). I got one working by reading about their inner workings, then messing with it. You don't have to pay big-azz money for someone else to do it. The resources of this list are revealed using the Search function and some reading online will bring you to a state of knowledge that the above-mentioned mechanical sympathy, patience, good light with simple hand tools, enable you to own the repair. And here's the important part: when you own the repair, you own the car. Read "Shop Class as Soulcraft" by Matthew Crawford and be the master of your possessions, rather than letting your possessions master you. A good deal of "like what you have" rather than "have what you like" enter consideration. Beware of Maya...

I will say that there have been things that have busted around the place whose bits end up in the trashcan. In those events I am no better off, nor worse, than when I started.

Fixed my 1985 dishwasher the other night, just a cleaning of the door microswitch seems to be all that was required. It's a Whirlpool, supposedly a Hobart design, badged as Kenmore, I read online that the basic design is excellent and worthy of keeping going. So I did and it works. Guess all the Black Friday sales will have to do without me! New dishwashers sell from $300 to $2200. On craigslist you can get one free.

Fixed the microwave oven. Beware that one, older models have a capacitor that can kill you stone dead if you aren't careful. Again, one of two simple door microswitches was bad. $3.25 part, not $350 oven. This was a Sanyo, they don't even make microwave ovens any more. It too dated from 1985, but it was part of a built-in, and replacement would have required replacing the oven too, so in I go, out I came. Not as good as sex but still rewarding.

Now if only I could do Zenith 35-40 INAT carbies...

Y'know, over the years I've been on this list, there seems to be (and this might be just me) a creeping elitism whereby coupe owners rely less and less on their own abilities. There are still some masters online, they are readily identified. But with rising values of surviving cars, owners seem less inclined to do their own work. The cars certainly aren't any different, so it's not a different skill set. Maybe different owners than I started with. Was a BMWCCA member for 20 years or so, but their direction, and my dedication to 2002's and 3.0CS left me in a shrinking group. I hope that doesn't happen here as well.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As usual, out here in the middle of the pond, I have a different approach.

DO. IT. YOURSELF...

Y'know, over the years I've been on this list, there seems to be (and this might be just me) a creeping elitism whereby coupe owners rely less and less on their own abilities. There are still some masters online, they are readily identified. But with rising values of surviving cars, owners seem less inclined to do their own work. The cars certainly aren't any different, so it's not a different skill set. Maybe different owners than I started with. Was a BMWCCA member for 20 years or so, but their direction, and my dedication to 2002's and 3.0CS left me in a shrinking group. I hope that doesn't happen here as well.

Yeah I've done all of those appliance repairs also. I fail to make the connection between paying for specialty automotive service and elitism. One of the things that has always irritated me about the automotive community is the perceived right of passage that an enthusiast *must experience by doing their own work. I'll gladly recommend that someone give a repair a try but it is arguably more elitist to judge someone for choosing not to plunge head first into a project that they may not have the time or ability to complete. Your sentiment isn't lost on me. I want to see folks give it a go as well and I will undoubtedly seek guidance from those who have.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Charlie, i have the speedo apart and i couldn't get the needle off ... it looked like it was about to break ... so i stopped. i will leave it to a professional.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I too have an 'unresponsive' odometer in my '74. I've been told it is almost impossible to remove the '74 speedometers without removing the windshield and dash (OH NO). Can anyone give me guidance on how I might be able to accomplish this easier (I remember that access to my '73 speedo was fairly easy, 50 years ago when I was much more limber and flexible than I am now!!). Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary, that is not the case. you can remove the steering wheel and the grab rail, loosen the cowl nuts (2 on each side) ... and then the wood panel holding the instruments is somewhat loose. if you disconnect the wiring harness for the gauges, disconnect the speedo cable and slide the wood panel forward and remove the speedo. loosening the cowl nuts might also require the removal of the console and loosening the heater control panel. there may be a little more too it as its been a few years since i took mine out the first time.

it might be possible to remove the speedo without doing that but i think it would be quite difficult if you hadn't had the speedo out before.