Spin on oil filter adapter

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have 1 left. This will convert a canister oil filter to a spin on filter. It will use a Fram PH8a filter or any other filter for a Ford 460" big block. I can provide the adapter to work with either a top or bottom bolted canister. $150 shipped in the US. filter parts (2).jpg Complete filter unit.jpg SOLD

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew I sold it yesterday and don't plan on making any more until at least 3 people are interested. It doesn't pay my machinist to do just 1 or 2 at a time. So if anyone one else is chimes in I will put something together.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert-- My canister is 3 1/2 " in diameter. No bolt on the bottom. The side says "Purolator Micron oil filter" PM2433 The top is bolted to the block with 4 bolts and says "Purolator PLC-4" and there is a BMW roundel cast into the housing top. It looks like the bottom spins off. The previous owner could not remember the cat# of the filter inside the canister. The whole thing looks like cast metal, grey in color. What is it? I can send you a photo later when my iphone downloads the pic to my desktop.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew you have 1/2 of the equation. If there isn't a bolt on the bottom, there then should be one on the very top of the filter head, the part you call the top. Take a picture from the top. Your description of the canister doesn't help as they are all the same within the size. I am sure yours bolts on through the top. What I am trying to explain is when you look down on your present set up, right in the middle of the filter head( the part that bolts to the block) from what you are telling me when you say there isn't a bolt on the bottom of the canister, is there is a bolt right in the middle of the filter head that goes down to the canister and is what holds the canister to the filter head. I am sure this is what you have but would really like to be sure. It only makes a difference in a minor part from me, but will save some back and forth parts exchanging

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bottom of the canister is smooth with no bolt. 'BMW" is in the metal in raised letters along with "1266373" This is a Purolator canister made for BMW. Has anyone seen this before? Korman autoworks built the engine back in 2005 and they have no idea about this filter canister when I asked them about it. The 3 page invoice from them didn't have a filter on it. The PO installed the engine in the Coupe at the BMW dealer in Maui while he worked there 13 years ago. The top housing has 4 bolts into the block. It says "PLC-4" Purolator PM2433.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Someone converted to a top bolt, one single bolt in middle of housing and held to block with four bolts. Unless you have one of those later sideways mounted filters that angles upwards.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
A copy of a pm sent to me by Drew. I am still scratching my head!!

"Bert, I got under the car and confirmed that my canister must be a spin-on type made by BMW. There is a smooth bottom and no bolt. I've seen the parts drawing and this canister is not like anything I've seen. I won't know what type of filter is in it until I drain the oil and try to remove it. Korman Autoworks had no idea what was on the engine they built for the PO back in 2005. The bottom has a BMW roundel and # 1266373."

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone converted to a top bolt, one single bolt in middle of housing and held to block with four bolts. Unless you have one of those later sideways mounted filters that angles upwards.
There's no bolt in the middle of the top.just 4 bolts into the engine block. The canister is vertical. I can't post pics due to my slow DSL server.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
A copy of a pm sent to me by Drew. I am still scratching my head!!

"Bert, I got under the car and confirmed that my canister must be a spin-on type made by BMW. There is a smooth bottom and no bolt. I've seen the parts drawing and this canister is not like anything I've seen. I won't know what type of filter is in it until I drain the oil and try to remove it. Korman Autoworks had no idea what was on the engine they built for the PO back in 2005. The bottom has a BMW roundel and # 1266373."
The cylinder and top both have BMW and Purolator in raised letters. Also, there are no marks on the cylinder from any kind of tool used to remove it,so it must spin off by hand.