Spring Rates for Coilovers

Rek

Reaction score
By trial and error, I am establishing the spring raters I need for my front coilovers. As the springs once fitted, are sold, then I an trying to limit the error element of this by getting some feedback.

For anyone with adjustable coilovers on their E9, then I would presume that the length and width of these are different from stock. Can you give me some feedback on diameter, length and rating and whether you are happy with the set up.

Mine are Gaz Gold coilovers which utilise a 2.5" internal diameter. They are 9 inches long, but are currently too weak and coilbound over more extreme bumps in the road. As I live in a city known for its more extreme bumps in the road this is not acceptable in the long run.

Any help is very gratefully received.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Rek
Coil overs, what to do with them is a individual choice.
My front spring are 440 lbs Rears 600 lbs. Length is a non factor being most housing are different. Shock absorbers a big parts of your ride quality I’m using Koni double adjustables.

I have had a few members ride in my car and they say “ hey I thought it was going to be more ruff ride”.

Very happy with my setup.

What spring rate are you using?

Good luck , Barry

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Intrax in Holland designed and mounted my coilovers ( all 4 corners) …. but i should look if i have still the data.... ???

shanon

Reaction score
Been running this set up for a long time.
Ireland Engineering coilovers up front with 550lbs springs and rear Bilstiens, 500lbs springs.

hth

Rek

Reaction score
Thanks - thats useful info'.

I have a selection of springs from 400 to 250ibs.

Next week I am off to Demon Tweaks in North wales for them to play around with the car. They have helped me in the past and waived their fees. Good people I think.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, I would start with the the stock spring rate and add 15%.
Or perhaps you could start with the spring rate of the Carl Nelson spring set (shorter, slightly stiffer).

As a data point, I have a car that weights just about 1000lbs with about 55/45% weight distribution. The front spring rate is about 350lbs/inch. But you have to consider that there is very little suspension travel in this car (a bit less than 3"). Given that an E9 is nearly 3x heavier, but has more suspension travel, I would be surprised if anything under 500lbs/in would be sufficient for sporty driving at a lower than original ride height.

Rek

Reaction score
550 lbs would make my car rock solid. My springs are 7 or 8" long and 2.5" internal diameter. Perhaps the size of your springs differ.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the diameter and length of the spring was only relevant in regards to suspension travel. Spring rate already takes into account the stiffness of the steel and the diameter of the coil