Stainless wheel arch trim---CSL

rdryman

Reaction score
I have the stainless wheel arch trim for the CSL.
The 2 fronts are basically perfect with buffing needed but the 2 rears are bent some in the middle from a former rearender. Maybe you might know of someone needing these. Not sure whether to have someone straighten the rears before I sell or not !!--probably not. Not putting on my CS before I sell it.
These should go back on a CSL rather than a CS--I never had them on my car. Got them many years ago from Tom Carr in some swap outs.
Part numbers on the parts are 1-819-605, -606, -607, -608 (last 2 numbers are the fronts)--
I do have part manuals but they are in zip bags and haven't checked the numbers--but they are correct. I checked: they are listed and shown on section 51.13 in Band 1 of coupe books. [Total number would be (ie): 51.13.1.819.605] CSL only !!! I do not have the rubber strips.
Not many CSL's out there but Advise if any interest ; note that this trim also fits any CS/CSI also.

Last edited:

rdryman

Reaction score
stainless wheel arch trim for CSL: SOLD

Confirmation, item is sold !!!!

RDryman

sorry--had to leave the computer this morning

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question for the illuminati: were there ever stainless arches actually mounted on CSLs between 1972 and 1975? I was under the impression that the original pieces "back in the day" were chrome-plated brass, and that the stainless steel ones available through BMW were replacement parts...maybe they had the BMW-assigned part numbers, but were NOT "as originally used"

Can anyone confirm/deny/trash talk the hell outta me for asking?

phelpsie

rdryman

Reaction score
the ones I have and ones you obviously have seen on the Picasas are stainless steel.
Brass--NO--the ones generally for sale now are chrome/brass and you can almost buy these for any car out there--maybe even Yugos!!! But don't peck them with your fingernail--they will dent ! :-D

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The ORIGINAL CSL fender trims were chromed brass, period! FYI, chromed brass is very hard and not very malleable, so if they are deformed in some ways, they are very hard to hammer back into it's original shape.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert, I am pretty sure that they were stainless - how do you know different?

Regards,

Rohan

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert, I am pretty sure that they were stainless - how do you know different?

Regards,

Rohan

Three things! The insides were not chromed, just unfinished brass, just liked the rear license plate trim piece that came with the 2800CS. They are also relatively heavy compared to either cheaper plated alloys or stainless steel units. Stainless steel can be polished to a high luster, but they do not emit the brilliant shine as can be achieved with polished chromed parts, such as the original CSL arch trims. BTW, I have a set of the originals on my coupe.

Did BMW started reproducing these arch trims recently? There have been drastic price drops with these parts. At one time, not too long ago, each corner went for about US $600, now they are about $350 each. Maybe the newer reproductions are the stainless steel versions.

Last edited:

rdryman

Reaction score
Trim with BMW #'s just sold was Stainless Steel !!!! I have had them for about 25 years. Now I haven't the slightest idea what all that means since I have only had a coupe for 30 years !!! Maybe the old timers can illuminate for others--not me, I am thread finished.
As far as repairing, brass would be much better since it could be annealed to be reworked easily.

Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/rdryman/BMWCSLREARSTAINLESSWHEELARCHTRIM#