Starter motor advice needed

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I notice when my CSL has sat unused for a few weeks, then cold started (especially with winter here), the starter motor seems to be under load and struggle. Also makes a horrible noice when the engine doesn't kick over. Previously I would get instant start on the first key turn, now it takes about 3 turns to start the car from cold. When car is warm it always starts first key turn though.

- So would my diagnosis be correct that the starter motor is on the way out?
- Or could it be my battery needs replacing and the cranking amperage is now not enough? (I do keep the battery fully charged but it's about 5 years old now)

Also I have a chance to buy a second-hand starter for good price, but supplier only has starter motors from an E3, E12 or E24 ...doesn't have one from an E9. I heard they are all the same unit and fit perfectly into an E9? True?

Cheers,
Mal

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since you have an injected model- go with the best...
850cs starter with Planetary Gear Reduction
Dirt cheap shipped from the States.

Shipping is - wait for it...wait......

US $16.99 (approx. AU $24.54) Express mail

Price: AU $ 173.33

100% NEW STARTER FOR BMW 750,750IL,E32,E38,850I,850CI,850CSI,E31*ONE YR WARRANTY

Condition:
New

Compatibility:
See compatible vehicles

Quantity:
7 available / 29 sold

Price:
US $119.99
Approximately AU $173.33

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are right- Australia shipping is extra 71.00 US

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does "the best" starter work on all M30 engines? Is this the default replacement for our cars? I see re-manufactured Bosch units (part number 12411272150) for mid $90s. This isn't that much more.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SR-71X with the small case, SR-440 or 441 are all similar and all fit just fine. The SR-444 may be the best but they all have permanent magnets and spin much faster with less drain.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I notice when my CSL has sat unused for a few weeks, then cold started (especially with winter here), the starter motor seems to be under load and struggle. Also makes a horrible noice when the engine doesn't kick over. Previously I would get instant start on the first key turn, now it takes about 3 turns to start the car from cold. When car is warm it always starts first key turn though.

- So would my diagnosis be correct that the starter motor is on the way out?
- Or could it be my battery needs replacing and the cranking amperage is now not enough? (I do keep the battery fully charged but it's about 5 years old now)

Also I have a chance to buy a second-hand starter for good price, but supplier only has starter motors from an E3, E12 or E24 ...doesn't have one from an E9. I heard they are all the same unit and fit perfectly into an E9? True?

Cheers,
Mal

might just need an overhaul. My mechanic did mine (cleaned up the brushes etc.) and all working fine now.

personally i like to keep the original part if it’s working just fine.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The new ones are much easier to get on and off. I’d replace both to reduce the risk of being stranded.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you decide to overhaul, make sure the bushings are replaced (front and rear.) They wear over time, then the armature contacts the magnets and boy that drains the battery real fast...Also, with the original motors the magnets begin to crumble apart, so check for that.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn... I think I might be up for one of these as well...

Let me know Frankie, maybe we can order two and save on the shipping, since you are also in Sydney. Is your car FI?

(Hopefully these starter motors that SF Don recommends can just bolt directly on to the M30 engine block?)