Starting problem?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would appreciate your help on the following.

I knew my battery was a little weak and only today ordered a new one.

After driving for 50km today everything was fine and the battery apparently had enough remaining power to start the engine. This afternoon I stopped at a friend, had a few beers and as I wanted to drive home noticed that my lights were still one. So trying to start the dash lights came on but apart from that nothing happened.

Knowing about my weak battery I immediately tried to start her with starter cables but much to my surprise again nothing at all moved, not a sound. While turning the key I also noticed that there was no resistance in the key while turned in to the starting position. Normally it jumps back a little like on a spring.

So last resort was to push start the car and that worked just perfect. Once back home the same scenario as described above.

Based upon this description is their anybody able to pin point the problem, ignition key, starter motor, .........?

Many thanks in advance.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
logically check the switch first and make sure theres continuity
when you turn to start.
if ok then short the starter to make sure it doesnt drag
thats all you need to do
with a good battery

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks for the input but I'm afraid that is all far out of my league.

Fiddling around a little and checking all connections I now noticed that the dash warning lights don't light up anymore and that the ignition switch has a strange feeling to it. I'm beginning to think that it is the ignition switch itself that gave up.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1) You noticed the lights were still on because you left them on?
2) Or on in spite of the switch being off? In the second case either the switch or a relay are shorted.
3) Does a few beers in Belgium mean you were 30 minutes or six hours at your friend's :)?
4) Were the lights on the headlights or just parking lights? Parking lights just last quite a few beers... And they would not stay on if the ignition is OFF.
5) Not starting when jumped is strange, nor the lack of mechanical resistance at the ignition switch. The only explanation I have for that depends on the answer to #3.
6) If I had to name suspects I would say the new battery is defective (does not hold charge) or a longer shot would be the ignition switch (works in Run but not in Start). Could also be a poor connection between alternator and battery.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe you have to now push the key in and turn to start, that's the first sign the ignition switch is failing.

restart

Reaction score
In a pinch you may be able to turn the key on and then jumper two pins under the orange plastic cap cover on the drivers fender.
Can't remember right now which two pins but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
If that starts the car than at least you know relays, safety switch, starter work and everything downstream is good.
Wiser minds will chime in....

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I think the battery has some power left, parking lights go on and interior lights and clock work.

What doesn't work anymore is the radio and the warning lights. When I turn the ignition key everything remains dead. So for the time being my main suspect is ignition mechanisme itself. Not something I suppose BMW still has in stock.

I will first wait for my new battery to arrive just to see if that would make a difference and continue from there.

Last edited:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Little follow up.

It indeed was the ignition mechanisme itself that after 16745 days decided to call it a day.

This fell out of the lower part of the ignition switch mechanisme. Clear break in a 0,50ct piece of metal

Attachments

• IMG_6000.JPG
    IMG_6000.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    514.2 KB · Views: 98

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First of all big thanks to DQ in assisting me pin pointing my problem.

So what I need is a 1971 replacement ignition switch with cable tree in good used condition because apparently you can't by these new anymore.

So any help in getting my E9 back on the road would be very much appreciated. Below two more pictures of the switch.

Big thanks in advance and I'm really counting on you guys.;)

Attachments

• IMG_6002.JPG
    IMG_6002.JPG
    568 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    651.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6006.JPG
    IMG_6006.JPG
    594 KB · Views: 110

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was offered this replacement by a friend here in Belgium. He'll ship it tomorrow and hopefully it will get me back on the road. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_4705.JPG
    IMG_4705.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4706.JPG
    IMG_4706.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 107

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you Philippe! Now that the better weather is coming the last thing you want is a coupe that does not start.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you Philippe! Now that the better weather is coming the last thing you want is a coupe that does not start.

Thanks Bo. I'm indeed wondering if this will work. For sure not a new part but what are our options if new parts are no longer available?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My new "old" part arrived but now I'm really puzzled!!

Took the contact out and much to my surprise the center piece fell out and looks just as broken as the piece I posted before. (cf pics)

Since the key in the old piece worked perfectly with correct spring resistance I just pushed the "new" old piece in my ignition cylinder and my key also regained its spring resistance. So without connecting the cables it feels OK.

What am I missing here? Is that center piece supposed to fall out and if it isn't and this one is as broken as my original contact , why does it appears to work?

Many thanks in advance for any help in solving this riddle.

Attachments

• IMG_6012.JPG
    IMG_6012.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6013.JPG
    IMG_6013.JPG
    521 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6014.JPG
    IMG_6014.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well since I felt the spring reaction I just connected the replacement part and the engine started immediately. So however this switch works it must have been something else that broke in my old one and not the piece I posted. End good all good and for a guy who 2 years ago just managed to change his spare tyre I'm quite proud of myself.:)

Last edited: