Steering column key light

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
i seem to be missing the lamp and holder that should sit behind the prism in the steering column to give me the small key light.

i've got an insulated female spade terminal that looks like it should have a bulb holder connected to it.

Any ideas where I can source one from ?

P1000019_zpsdc84008f.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i seem to be missing the lamp and holder that should sit behind the prism in the steering column to give me the small key light.

i've got an insulated female spade terminal that looks like it should have a bulb holder connected to it.

Any ideas where I can source one from ?]

yes, I know, post number 22 in this thread :
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13327

as far as i know i was unable to find it, my case was exactly the same as yours, female connector was there but nothing else, so i started a search for alternatives, nothing was available except of an adaptation

i can fabricate one for you

(if local pickup you pay the beers and its yours for free !)

Last edited:

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer DeQuincey - that's very kind of you

It must have been down to the luck of the draw at the factory if your car got one of these lights or not.

Your's is an excellent solution - I'll pm you

Christopher

Simufly

Reaction score
key prism lights.

In my experience these were only fitted to LHD cars, (although RHD had the fittings) both on the e3 and e9 series to illuminate the centre console area. On a RHD car it just lights up nothing.

loloe13

Reaction score
the lights are there for 2 RHD e9's that I have owned (and now with Stan's new prism), lighting up brightly on the knob for the triangle mirror..... or useful for those emergency escape scenario where you have to find the door quickly.....:-o

In my experience these were only fitted to LHD cars, (although RHD had the fittings) both on the e3 and e9 series to illuminate the centre console area. On a RHD car it just lights up nothing.

p.smitty

Reaction score
Key prism

I am also missing my key prism. I would be happy to buy it if anyone has one for sale.

Pat

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the RHD has the prism on the right I may have been right in thinking that it is there to illuminate the ignition switch. Turning on the lights to find the ignition beats pushing the key into solid surfaces while muttering ancient curses in the dark.

Simufly

Reaction score
RHD prism light.

I fixed one of these in an E3 that I had. I found the reflections that it produced most annoying and took the bulb out!