Strut experts advice

Bearmw

Reaction score
After powder coating my what appear to be original 72 Bavaria strut housings I reassembled them with what I think are the original springs and these Bilstein inserts which were already installed at some point. Unfortunately, I didn't think to measure the locking ring dimensions or the struts themselves. They seemed to be in decent shape despite their age ( they say 76 on them) so I reinstalled them but now I am wondering if I do need to replace them what the better options would be? I see some Koni adjustables can still be found on ebay although they say they are for E12 and also some Boge as well. Then of course there are the more readily available Bilstein HD. I plan on 14" tires and stock springs or maybe cut one coil. Any and all info on what I have would be appreciated.
IMG_20190103_142346210_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190103_142414294.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not a strut expert, but I've lowered the front of several cars by cutting coils (never an E3). I found out with the first few that you can easily cut too much. I suggest you start by cutting maybe a half a coil, then drive the car and let it settle for several days before deciding that you need to cut more. It's tough to put it back once you've cut it. :(

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm confused as to the question and the desired end point. Thinking things are old and should they be replaced? Wanting to lower the car?
I would avoid NOS stuff, sitting around for 30 plus years does nothing any good. Sure anecdotal but I bought NOS Boges for my E3 since they are original to the car, they were tossed pronto.

Let me also add that you are here in Ma, our tons of tax dollars and 28% tax on pot products has translated into ZERO road improvement . Why spend money on a new turn table when your speakers are crap (old analogy but works well) ! I put in new Bilsteins and love them. Note that there are no Bilstein Sports for the E3, basically they were so close to the HD's that Bilstein dumped them. The valving is identical.

Bearmw

Reaction score
Yes my question was somewhat convoluted but bavbob you in large part answered it. I hope I didn't make a mistake reinstalling those old cartridges but I will have to wait and see when the car is operational. I was considering various replacement options in case the old Bilsteins are worn out and because I was concerned that the new Bilsteins might be overly stiff but we don't have many options and they may in fact work well with stock or minimally cut stock springs. Also, Dick thanks for the info on the locking ring availability.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bilstein still reconditions their shocks. Pricing is almost as much as new, but its an option to consider.