Sunroof in rear sits below roof line

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
subject suggests the issue. The back end of my sunroof is not sitting flush with the roof. It’s ever so slightly below it. Is their and adjustment that needs to be made to line everything up? Shims?

I have the sunroof out at the moment to replace the weatherstripping so I figured it was a good time to get it adjusted but nothing it jumping out at me to do so.

stphers

Reaction score
You should go to the 2002 faq site . I wrote a page on installing these weatherstripping pieces. especially where they come together. Basically , where the seals overlap, they should be installed overlapping each other but if you just do that, they are too thick and the sunroof will hang up. Once you have figured out how long they should be and have trimmed the ends there is one more step to do before gluing them in. If you notice, inside the ridge of the new seal, it is a small rubber tube that runs inside the seal, what you do where they overlapp, is to pull about one inch of the rubber seal out and cut it off so there is no rubber in the last inch on the seal for both pieces ( when you pull the rubber out, and have cut it, it will pull itself back into the seal.) Now for the last inch of each seal no longer has the rubber in it and you can glue first the back seal first and then the front seal They should cross each other slightly at an angle and now, with a bit of rubber gone, they can be both glued down and wont interfere with sunroof. I will look later for some pictures later Hope you can make out what I am trying to convey here.

Thanks, Rick

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of mystery around the sunroof. I snapped a quick video of the sunroof operation. The back e d first pops up via a plastic wedge that places the sunroof front flush with the roofline. As you continue to crank the lever the sunroof stops. The cable keeps moving toward the front of the car, and the metal rod that extends from the cable catches the sunroof spring. As the cable moves forward, the spring acts as a prybar against the sunroof track, forcing the back end up.

There isn’t much opportunity for mechanical error in my opinion. I would first make sure that the cable doesn’t stop before the extension reaches the narrow section of the “prybar”. Also make sure the prybar isn’t bent. You can test all of this before the seal is in place. The possibility of the deal interfering is noise if you are trying to diagnose the mechanicals.

stphers

Reaction score
There are 2 adjustments per side for the level of the sunroof. There is the one adjustment that is the larger adj done with the mechanism with the serated grooves in them
, loosen the bolt ( has a flat blade screwdriver slot in it ) and you can move the sunroof up and down. Then there is a fine adjustment with the 2 knurled nuts All this you would have to have taken them out when you pulled the sunroof.

The manual actually has a very good description on how to set up your sunroof. It is actually not that hard to do

Thanks, Rick

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I played around with it last night and found the few adjustment points. I need to play around a little more tonight but it seems the culprit for me was the rear adjustment serrated grove/bolt adjustment. That made a big difference but that move threw off everything else a bit. I should be able to fine tune it tonight.

Appreciate the assistance from everyone.

I will say, I was not looking forward to having to remove the sunroof based on other things I read but after having done it, it truly was pretty simple and quick.