Sunroof Seals

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sunroof has a gray seal along the back of the sunroof itself, another gray seal along the front that is attached to the sunroof opening and not the roof itself and a third seal along the back of the roof that runs its width. There is supposedly another seal ( see image that I borrowed from 2002 forum) that runs along the sunroof opening but I am confused since the headliner has to wrap around the opening so does this seal go over that?

Untitled.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's from Kieth Kreeger's Stella Tii build website. He did it wrong.

Long seal attaches to the car and runs long into the recess at the rear. The shorter seal attaches to the back of the sunroof panel. This way they overlap where they meet at the rear radius.

IMG_2873.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The part I am talking about is a rubber U channel, it is the same "synthetic strip" that is used along the exterior window trim. Input part 54129734126 into Real OEM and see its application. This is in addition to the two gray felt "P" shaped strips for the sunroof. I don't know where it goes, it is circled in the image of my original post.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To my knowledge there is no trim or seal that runs along the sides under the suroof. The headliner is glued to the roof under the the rails.

Deflector 05.JPG
DSCN7983.JPG
IMG_5314.jpg
IMG_5306.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I totally agree and the image in RealOEM is not helpful. My car came in parts and the sunroof was on the front seat and this U channel taped to it. I guess this is just another riddle the Goldie sunroofs have to offer us. I redid my Bavaria sunroof and this rubber U channel was not used in any way.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
I totally agree and the image in RealOEM is not helpful. My car came in parts and the sunroof was on the front seat and this U channel taped to it. I guess this is just another riddle the Goldie sunroofs have to offer us. I redid my Bavaria sunroof and this rubber U channel was not used in any way.

Bob, my recollection is that the "piping" you refer to runs around the perimeter of the sunroof opening so that it provides a rounded edge ( the headliner folds over the top of it ) .... purpose being ( I think ) to prevent metal edge cutting into the headliner

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, that's it! This is not in any diagram I could fine. Even the Porsche link above states 3 seals only, the two on the sunroof and the one one the body. Thank You.