Survivors on the road in the UK

Malc

Reaction score
Hello,
Due to the "privatisation" of everything in the UK these days :evil: the DVLA have farmed everything out, but contacting the SMMT they have kindly forwarded the following basic information. Locations, by using the first three digits of the UK postcodes, can be obtained, but it costs a fortune :shock:
Scotland, England, and Wales only.
Data for Northern Ireland is held in a seperate place

The search revealed the following totals:

2800CS 13 units
2500CS 54 units (caution: DVLA data on this model includes 4dr saloon)
3.0CS 40 units
3.0CSi 94 units
3.0CSL 94 units

Kind regards,

Carmelo Aquilina
Manager - Automotive Data Services
The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders Ltd

Plus 1/2 a bucket!

Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
E9's in the UK

Interesting fiogures there Malc,notice there are 94 each for CSL and CSi, wonder how much cross-pollination there is from People's typing errors ?

CookeD

Reaction score
I would think that the CSi and CSL count are coming out of the same data bucket. Whatever they're using to hold data probably wasn't put together to tell the difference, especially on vehicles of this age.

Paul T

Reaction score
I remember reading an advert a few years ago run by a classic car dealer that said that there were thought to be less than 50 CSLs left in the UK.

I can't recall the exact wording. There maybe some creative accounting as they were selling a CSL at the time.

Paul

Malc

Reaction score
"NumbersJ"
I would think that the CSi and CSL count are coming out of the same data bucket. Whatever they're using to hold data probably wasn't put together to tell the difference, especially on vehicles of this age.

Suspect your right on that one....
Could it be there is only a TOTAL of 94 CSi's and CSL's left :shock:

I could give the SMMT a ring to see if it is possible to distiguish between the two

Might have to wait till tomorrow, I'm a bit busy at work today :wink:
Malc

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's very specific, and interesting data. Here in the states, the DMV doesn't even add CS to the 3.0 designation on my registration.

Dave B

Reaction score
E9 numbers

I wonder just how many are actually taxed, insured and MOT'd and on the roads in the UK?

Might just be me and you Malc for Scotland! What about a Scottish E9 owners club? We could hold the meetings in a phone box!

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
E9's in Ireland

Absolutely, Dave, we could hold one here too, corner phone booth, dont worry about coming early,lots of room.
I am still trying to find out how many there are in Ireland.
After 18 months I know of 3 in Dublin,1 CSi being rebuilt in Co Tipperary,
One in Cork (2800 CS I think) and my CS in Galway
I've excluded Ronan's collection as I'm not sure if they are reg here or the UK.
When I was involved with the South African Club ( Stan Solarsh would know far better than I) I think we had about 25 registered and a lot more hiding in the woodwork.

Regards
Dax

jamesr

Reaction score
stats

hi all,

does anyone know how accurate these stats are?

http://www.bmwclubs.asn.au/coupes/coupe_cs.html

considering how many CSI's were produced in comparison to the CSL it's starnge that there are, what may appear to be, equal numbers left in the UK. Also according to these stats the CSI had 200bhp the same as the 72 CSL?

also i saw a red CS this morning in paddington with a front skirt? anyone here?

i finally get my CSL back tomorrow after 3 months at the garage. it hasn't really been driving weather anyway, i'm just glad to have it back for the summer. New sports exhaust system and all.

james

Sportster

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hang my head in shame :cry: In the last 6 years or so I have broken 4 CSA coupes :oops: My friends brother has also broken at least 2. I have an early rhd CSL # 032 (maybe the earliest survivor?) with matching engine # but with part of the front and the back cut off but am determined that it WILL survive :D . The CSA is pretty solid but will be built to my own specs, when I decide what they will be. I consider the E9 CS, whatever the variant, to be the best looking car that BMW have produced at least since the late 50's, and doubt that it will ever be surpassed. Come to think of it, I don't recall another manufacturer coming close!

Peter.