suspension?

psychrunner

Reaction score
I am having a 1972 e9 csi restored. What is the most efficient, "best" (i.e., for handling,etc.) suspension to place on the car and what is cost? Where to locate?
Any info appreciated.
thanks
Randy

mandala

Reaction score
I have on my coupe Bilstein HD's, springs from Carl Nelson at LaJolla independent, and a camber kit from LI as well. I had to roll my fenders as i have the staggered 16" Alpina's on it. You will find many of us on the board with that combo and it handles great!
Jeff in PDX

shanon

Reaction score
I think you need to determine 'what you will be doing' with the car., Sporty or Plush? The set-up described works great for a street car to be driven enthusiactically. That's the setup my brother and I used before we ventured to HPDEs (track days). The set-up will present it's short comings on the track, a bit soft, rolls too much in the corners.

Suggest bigger sway bars to minimize the roll of our 'Das Boots'. If your doing a complete resto, change to Poly bushings while your in there.......

.....itsa Pandora's box though. But if you'd like see more mod ideas, check out Ireland Engineering for some bits......the coil-overs are awesome. :twisted:

HTH
-shanon

Dave B

Reaction score
suspension

Poly bushings sounds a good idea.

Can you advise if a bushing set is available / who sells them / an idea of price etc?

psychrunner

Reaction score
Thanks

I will definitely be driving the car more as an enthsusiastically driven street car than tracked. So may try the Bilsten setup.
Thanks

shanon said:
I think you need to determine 'what you will be doing' with the car., Sporty or Plush? The set-up described works great for a street car to be driven enthusiactically. That's the setup my brother and I used before we ventured to HPDEs (track days). The set-up will present it's short comings on the track, a bit soft, rolls too much in the corners.

Suggest bigger sway bars to minimize the roll of our 'Das Boots'. If your doing a complete resto, change to Poly bushings while your in there.......

.....itsa Pandora's box though. But if you'd like see more mod ideas, check out Ireland Engineering for some bits......the coil-overs are awesome. :twisted:

HTH
-shanon

mandala

Reaction score
I have Carl's on mine and just love the way it handles. Can't speak of Ireland's and i don't track mine at all.
Jeff in pdx

psychrunner

Reaction score
bilstein hd's

Just ran a check on Tire Rack which indicated Bilstein HD's not designed for 1972 csi. Will I have to modify to get them to fit? They recommend KYB gas shocks for the car. Any opinions on these? I am new to this.
Thanks

mandala said:
I have on my coupe Bilstein HD's, springs from Carl Nelson at LaJolla independent, and a camber kit from LI as well. I had to roll my fenders as i have the staggered 16" Alpina's on it. You will find many of us on the board with that combo and it handles great!
Jeff in PDX

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bilstein HDs

Tire Rack is not an authority on E9s! There is nothing special about 72 CSi struts. Bilstein part numbers are: P36-0024 front and B46-0813 rear.

KYBs in E9s ride very hard and don't last long.

Vroomer

Reaction score
I'll 2nd the KYB comment.

Had that suckers removed and fortunately a friend had a NOS set of Bilstien HDs. 8)

Now to get some strut tower braces.