Swedish 3.5 CSL with M5 engine (pics)

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Swedish 3.5 CSL Batmobile with M5 engine (pics)

OK, let's hope this works.

Will try to add the pics first and then translate a bit.

Found in a Swedish car mag for american cars, volvos and japanese cars with plastic kits. No idea why it was there but still.... Actually got the front cover which is why I saw it.

This work for you guys? http://img192.imageshack.us/g/page1s.jpg/

Last edited:

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Some quick translations of the main points.

Apparently a real CSL Batmobile?
340HP 24-valve M5 engine.
Stronger clutch and dogleg 5 spd gearbox from M3 E30 or E12 M535i. 25%diff.
Built 27 Sep 1973 and sold 13 Sep 1974 in Malmoe Sweden.
Owner is a mechanic and ex Rallyedriver.
17" BBS Wheels
No powersteering.
All the work was done in Germany 1989-90 before he bought it off a friend.
Electric Recaro chairs, rear seats redone in same material.
It is of course the battery in the box in the trunk

That's it in short except for some backstory on the CSLs.

Feel free to ask any questions but that is most of the info there was.

Apologies for the crappy scans did them on the office printer / copier.

/Johan

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Works for me...nice example!

It's the John Holmes M88 Coupe on steroids with a hoop and spoilers but will it command CSL Bat prices?
Hardly iMHO...(somewhere I heard prices were down?)

*and for those of you from Malmo IMHO signifies IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...which is not affiliated or important for that matter...

Great posting btw, as what does matter is that the language barriers here have seldom been so easily negotiated....
Thanks for doing the legwork, Johan ...!

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Johan!

I can confirm that is a real Bat (VIN 2275518). A well-known and very nice Swedish bat with 4x power windows and without power steering. A lot has been modified on this bat and as for all bats this one has always been an expensive car when it has been up for sale.

http://www.bilsport.se/news.php?id=75349 (click on the picture for a close-up)

But surely a good enjoyment and a sound investment as the CSLs and specially the bats are always increasing in value.

Cheers

DJSimca

Reaction score
I may be alone with this opinion but I think it's a sacrilege to use a real Bat for such an exercise.

Yes it seems to be well executed but why didn't he use a 2800 or a 3.0 CS ????

For crying out loud: they only made 110 cars in this series and he has ruined it!

Rant over ;-)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Just for your info: the modifications on 2275518 are very professional done and also the bodywork etc is ecellent. The sound from the stainless sport exhaust system is really nice.

If one should do this kind of modifications to a real bat is another question. However it is clear that 2275518 runs much faster and better on the road compared to a standard CSL.

The car in question was registered in Sweden in September 1974 and have had, so far, 12 owners. Before the current owner Lef Nilsson, it was owned by a company called Aproba AB. But it was Per Frank who made this CSL famous in Sweden.

Cheers

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Very good point Yannick. With about only 600 traced (survived?) CSLs, it could be as few as 300 CSLs still with all the Alu details.

If I remember correctly from when I did the familiar "magnet-trick" on my CSL, there are Alu/thin gauge doors panels, roof, front wings, bonnet, hood, door-hinges and the fuel filler cap. But were the "front light covers" also in Alu?

A quick look in my CSL registry, it its interesting to note the following:

Among the traced 64 CSL bats from VIN range 2275430-2275539 (110 cars built):

3 broken
1 empty shell
3 with 3.5 liters engine
1 with 3.7 liters engine
1 Gösser Alpina race replica

Among the traced 35 CSL bats from VIN range 4355001-4355057 (57 cars built):

1 Alpina B2S
2 with 3.5 liters engine
1 with Race wings etc (ex Hoeness car)

In addition, many CSL has normal steel parts nowadays, so I fully agree that a CSL with still all the Alu parts etc is very rare to find.

Cheers

johanaxelson

Reaction score
"DJSimca - agreed, but it wasn't him. Some German guy did it. "

+2275 518+ was owned by Per Frank prior being owned by current owner Leif Nilsson. It is not correct to say the mods have been done by a German guy as Per Frank wanted to have his car heavily modified (24v engine etc...) and he decided to have those kind of mods done,
not a German guy.

OK, fair enough. Article says the mods were done *in* Germany. So probably by a German guy :)

Article also states someone named Per Lindstedt owned it for a bunch of years before him.