Sweet steering wheel on ebay

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
either way the roundel is (looks to me anyways) an add-on

anyone want to buy a motorsport wheel for ....oh, based on today's market dreams, a million dollars?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Yes, the Roundel looks like the current plastic covered ones and the BMW typeface is also not the 50s style.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
What's another $900 plus shipping between friends to hang this wheel on one's wall...and thereby attain bragging rights for this very nice looking memento?

:mrgreen:

MMercury

Reaction score
agreed

either way the roundel is (looks to me anyways) an add-on

Or not original.

Maybe the seller wanted to enhance the marketability by emphasizing to all long distance viewers that the wheel fits a BMW. Or avoid answering the all too common question: "Will this fit my Maybach or my Pacer?" Is it possible the medallion hides something (another logo) or is glued to the otherwise pretty horn cover?

The wheel is advertised as "sport" and "stainless" but absent is the word "wood." I am pretty sure I have seen the same wheel with a pecan wood tone - with the same bright work. Not to be confused with a more common wheel with flat black spokes and chrome accents.

A picture of the 35 yo packaging/box might offer some clues as to the manufacturer and whether this wheel was a dealer/aftermarket offering or an option.

It is a pretty wheel. Is the matching stool part of the package?

D8.JPG
D6.JPG

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
It looks like Honduras Mahogany (wietenia macrophylla) and it would certainly be a significant improvement on the 507 design
that is if the diameter is correctly matching...and dash instruments can be properly viewed from the drivers seat angle/height.

BMW-507-interior.jpg

Metal spoke accents would seem to go well with the 'Modern' style 30's andnot really does not appeal to the art decco side of my taste buds although I enjoy decco just as much if not more...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, the Roundel looks like the current plastic covered ones and the BMW typeface is also not the 50s style.

True Bill although the 3 part (each) spoke design and how the roundstock and square meets the wood is fabulous if you look the photos they in total seem to not do this wheel adequate justice ... Authentic or not, as I noted previously my opinion this belongs in a trophy case or behind the wet bar on the wall next to the family crest ... would be a very intriguing conversation piece. It's my feelng the wheel was off another brand of car entirely (likely a US brand long retired) and only takes on it's BMW mystique via that same roundel centerpiece and spline shaft that as you say is likely half the age of the wheel itself, at best. This is a rare example of when form overtakes function and someone that conceived this item and carried out the work was certainly a woodworker who IMHO knows/knew his hand tools inside and out...

The clues are evident in the workmanship on the stool itself...and the two useless steering wheels as mere junk to most eyes became one pretty darned good looking integrated result, wouldn't you say? Craftsmen like these are what we sorely lack in almost every aspect of product design (or restoration efforts) that naturally come up to that higher level of competence that for some intrinsic reason shine a bit above the rest of the more docile, period correct flock seemingly operating without a clue as to how to master such integrative effors of both beauty and form into seemingly perfect harmony...not unlike the end result of our e9 body shape and form we strive to duplicate on this forum and in our garages!

lol!

Cheers!

Last edited:

pereztroika

Reaction score
Those steering wheels were stock on BMWs 1800 TISA and 2000 Ti. Optional available on BMWs 2000 C/CS. The roundel definitely doesn't belong there...

Cheers, Jose