T-Green 1970 2800cs on BAT

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Me likey! I used to not like the 2800's as much until I got more edu-macHa-ted...So to speak. High compression pistons, usually leather interior, cool colors, early coupe enthusiast owned.....I almost seek these out now. I will be watching.....OH YES.....I WILL BE WATCHING....BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! YOU CANNOT HIDE!!!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your kind words. Still have the injected CSL, which I will keep indefinitely.

I am fascinated by the Alfa 4C Spider (a few 2020s still available new here in FL) as well as the Cayman GTS 4.0 (which I would have to order and wait a long time), so those are next on the radar screen. Cool future classics that will depreciate very slowly as they are enjoyed.

I think my reserve is quite reasonable, so we shall see.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your kind words. Still have the injected CSL, which I will keep indefinitely.
Scott
About that hood gap. From the pictures, it appears that if you could split the diff between the left/right side and then it would be visually 100% good to all but the most observant person (HBChris). If this is so, is it not a straightforward exercise to enlarge the hinge slots a tad to make this happen?

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott
About that hood gap. From the pictures, it appears that if you could split the diff between the left/right side and then it would be visually 100% good to all but the most observant person (HBChris). If this is so, is it not a straightforward exercise to enlarge the hinge slots a tad to make this happen?
That's a really good idea. I am sure Mario could make it better by modifying the hinges a bit. My local body shop here is good, but probably not inclined to think outside the box. If the car does not meet reserve, I will work on this idea.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
will work on this idea.
Doing this will eliminate the one major caveat you made in your BAT auction. To my eye the body is otherwise very nice and worthy of a very strong price. The work itself seems

Almost trivial to me
(1) apply padding to protect fenders/hood paint
(2) remove headlight grills so you have access to the lower part of the hinges
(3) shim/move hood to where you want it, and mark the hinges for needed mods to the existing slots
(4) remove hinges from car, modify, protect bare metal with zinc etch and rattle can
(5) install hinges and adjust to achieve the ideal alignment.

should take all of 3 hours if done by a picky meticulous guy like HBChris.

if you were up here it would be a fun weekend AM project for us.

john

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought for sure this would go higher, what held it back?
I was hoping for more, but you never know who shows up to bid on any given day. I set the reserve at 70 and was hoping for 90. Also, if I lived in a big city in California, that would have helped—more people could come see the car. Very few coupes, and interest in old imported car generally in my area is limited.
I considered shipping the car to Oregon to 911r to see if they would bring a big price.
The buyer got a solid car, which is not often the case on BaT.

@teahead, maybe an Alfa 4C, or bank the money to pay tuition. I have to pay a lot of that these days! My brother calls this phase of life “tuition purgatory”.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was hoping for more, but you never know who shows up to bid on any given day. I set the reserve at 70 and was hoping for 90. Also, if I lived in a big city in California, that would have helped—more people could come see the car. Very few coupes, and interest in old imported car generally in my area is limited.
I considered shipping the car to Oregon to 911r to see if they would bring a big price.

@teahead, maybe an Alfa 4C, or bank the money to pay tuition. I have to pay a lot of that these days! My brother calls this phase of life “tuition purgatory”.
I was watching and I think your estimation on $$$ and reasons why are bang on.

Somebody got a great car for the money.

Love those 4Cs BTW

Pete

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Wondering if the fact that it’s a 2800 and not a 3.0 held it back some? When an e9 is as solid and as well cared for as this one, 2.8 or 3.0(rear discs) should not have mattered in the current market IMHO. But I think there is something to the
”California market” bump.
An Alfa 4C would make tuition purgatory much more bearable. I‘m Italian so I’m biased. ;)