Taking A Grilling Question

pecsok

Reaction score
Was there a model dependant Kidney Grill color scheme? I notice some have chrome vertical slats, others have black.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I have noticed that too. It seems to depend on the original color of the car, like the plastic "vents" on the side and on the hood.

CookeD

Reaction score
IIRC, the CSL grilles had black slats, and CS/CSi's had aluminum.

Also, maybe someone can clarify this, I think the only replacements that are available are black...?

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't the grill color (silver or black) have something to do with the body color? Black against lighter colors for more contrast?

Shawn

Reaction score
I just replaced my all aluminum grill and it really made a difference. My old one was dinged and faded. I was able to source a new one from the dealer for $200. Really made the nose sparkle.

BTW many coupe owners I know have moved to the black slat grilles and they look reat as well but I stayed with all aluminum

Shawn

Malc

Reaction score
Bucket has a chromed outer with black slats, Front wing (fender) fake vents were black plastic, same for bonnet (hood) vent slots
Car was originally white
Malc

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Baikal 2800 has silver kidneys, black fender slats, chrome cowl grills. And all-red tail lamps. The only part I'd swear to being original is the lamps...

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Background--kidney grills and hood/side vents

During the first two model years or three--all E-9's coming to the USA were originally fitted with anodized aluminum kidney grills--some of you call them chrome--this changed to the black slat type at about mid-year production in 1973 for US bound Coupes--don't know for Euro models. Since then some confusion has followed with the belief that only CSL's were authorized to sport the black slat grills--remember NO CSL's were ever officially imported to the US by Hoffman Motors and many of you admit to having the black slats--all CSL's have found their way to these shores by individual sponsorship--many by armed forces members returning--especially pilots--since their incomes were higher--ya know flight pay and all--so buying one was easier.

Early E-9's were all fitted with chromed plastic hood/bonnet and side grills--mixed chrome/black was not a stock thing--athough some owners have chosen this mix--perhaps durability entered in as chromed plastic did not have a long life.

Along the way someone decided that black grills were cheaper to produce, and the fact that chromed plastic did not fare well in many climates and were also more expensive as original equipment and to replace. Black looked good especially on silver/white and some other lighter colors--however--few of the darker cars wore black unless an owner passed on the chromed ones due to their being more pricey.

As a practical matter the black ones can be easily re-finished to as new, whereas not so with the chromed plastic.

CookeD

Reaction score
The mid-year '73 switch would have been after June, as I'm production 6/73 as per the door tag (chassis #2240859) and the kidneys are aluminum. As far as I can tell, the grill hasn't been out/replaced, but I guess anything is possible...

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
1) Today BMW takes turns in making the earlier-style kidneys, one run will be all silver, the next will have black slats.
2) The later style (bigger, clunkier-looking) kidneys I believe all had black slats, I do not know if they are still available from BMW or are now NLA.
3) Silvered wing and hood grills were pretty much early cars only, I've never seen an original 2800 with black ones, regardless of body color.