Terry Sayther's Golf CSL on BaT

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great looking car. Should bring a nice number even though it’s not a completely stock version.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the number to beat. Both cars have their pros and cons. If the goal is to go back to OEM, black car has a lot of paintwork to undo. Terry’s car looks more original but doesn’t have the block.

$131K

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
that is surprisingly low for a carb csl ... hard to believe that the black car met reserve. perhaps not enough buyers in the room.

Agree - do you think the lack of originality really hurts these early cars more than the later CSLs?

Regardless, I love the Golf and think it'll likely bring a premium. What I'm scratching my head on is the mention of replacement of the lower doors due to rust... Does the car have aluminum doors as it should? Not to mention the lack of an Alum hood which is no small thing. In these wierd times, it'll be interesting to say the least...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the early CSLs take a big hit with lack of originality. This one deserves a good home but so many mods have been made to this CSL that it is not the same car. It needs a ton of bodywork, suspension work, interior, just a lot of everything. And the original motor is long gone, black engine bay, etc. And I wish owners would refrain from turning every CSL into a Bat when it never started that way. It will be interesting to see where this ends up but I predict RNM.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice driver, but a CSL deserves a bit more care. Like smoothing out the welds on the floor patch, and yes, that black (ugggh) engine compartment.

I prefer a proper D-Jet intake setup if you have to EFI it, but I probably would put back the carbs. My $0.02.

1972_bmw_3-0csl_1580220946faedfa8b20200127_161837.jpg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’ve only been to his shop a couple of times, but this car is exactly what’d I’d expect. That’s not criticism—where else would you see a CSL & an M1 on lifts in an indoor-outdoor repair shop? There’s probably a rusted out E12 and late-model M3 getting worked on in other bays-and the lot/street is lined w a menagerie of other BMWs. It’s kind of sensory overload trying to figure out if you’re at a South Austin chop shop or the lair of a some throw-back mad genius.

I would note I sent my 74 y.o. mom & aunt to pick up a transmission once, and she still raves about how nice they were & she’d never seen anywhere like it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unusual mismatched rear jacking points also o_O

Nice driver, but a CSL deserves a bit more care. Like smoothing out the welds on the floor patch, and yes, that black (ugggh) engine compartment.

I prefer a proper D-Jet intake setup if you have to EFI it, but I probably would put back the carbs. My $0.02.

1972_bmw_3-0csl_1580220946faedfa8b20200127_161837.jpg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unusual mismatched rear jacking points also o_O

Good grief... his guys should know better than to lift a car from there.

Terry and I have known each other for many years now. This car makes most of our big BMW drives. Peter C has worked some magic on the car and hopefully, he will chime in with what he has seen. It is a driver and not necessarily one for the lawn at Pebble Beach. I had a chance to buy it 6-7 years ago at a price that I now kick myself about...

It is a real CSL, and it has a lot of very cool pieces on it. Is it an all-original, white glove car? Nope... will it put a ridiculous grin on your face when you stomp on it? Absolutely... dog leg 5 speed, Scheels, crazy looks... I love it every time I see it.

03F79284-6E93-4B0B-BA7C-82906397BD2C.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two golf CSL in Austin ... i love @Dan Mooney's golf. i agree with this one as a driver. shame it could never be returned to original, would cost a lot to do everything except the engine. curious that this early CSL has the shorter (outside) slots on the apron below the grilles. guess that was changed out at some point. i think Chris has it right - RNM

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Members,

I've been watching the posts on Bring A Trailer for the Golf CSL and I think the arguing and back and forth is a distraction and a disservice to the seller. Bring A Trailer is an auction site that, so far, has been a great place to sell (not necessarily) buy unique cars. As you all know several of our Coupes have sold for good money and many here have pitched in to give info, clarify what is important and act as a resource to the population that doesn't know much about E9s. This auction, which has 1 day left, seems to be getting out of hand and hijacking the conversation with some personal vitriol.

For the good of both the Bring A Trailer site, our Forum and the general car community please stop, take a breath and don't detract from the auction by posting unnecessary comments.

Wouldn't hurt if those that are having a heated back and forth apologize to one another too.

Regards, Jon

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @Ives,

I moved this post to the BaT FS thread. This isn’t Terry’s thread so continued commentary here is not a detraction. Thank you for expressing your opinion. I recommend that you take a second glance at the comments. You will see three things - let’s get specific:

• A technical discussion about steering wheels and colors for the carb CSL. Noisy? Perhaps. Allpicable? Yes. Forum members? Some
  • A discussion of VIN’s - CSL’s and Alpina cars. Noisy? Yes! Applicable? No. Forum Members? Not at the time.
  • Commenter arrives guns blazing. Calling BaT commenters “Hacks”. Applicable? Not that preface. Forum member? Only to sell and argue.
There was no vitriol spewed by *active members. I can only imagine that you are referring to the “back and forth” with Chris. Again, revisit the comments. I put that in quotes because there is no “back and forth”.

I’m sure that it is mostly my fault, because I made implicit reference to this. My question to the commenter about defining “hack” is warranted, but I agree that it wasn’t necessary or helpful for the sale.

49008561-4D96-4682-B07C-F83CF53A7146.jpeg

Members,

I've been watching the posts on Bring A Trailer for the Golf CSL and I think the arguing and back and forth is a distraction and a disservice to the seller. Bring A Trailer is an auction site that, so far, has been a great place to sell (not necessarily) buy unique cars. As you all know several of our Coupes have sold for good money and many here have pitched in to give info, clarify what is important and act as a resource to the population that doesn't know much about E9s. This auction, which has 1 day left, seems to be getting out of hand and hijacking the conversation with some personal vitriol.

For the good of both the Bring A Trailer site, our Forum and the general car community please stop, take a breath and don't detract from the auction by posting unnecessary comments.

Wouldn't hurt if those that are having a heated back and forth apologize to one another too.

Regards, Jon

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My take is that a certain person who is rarely on this forum would never apologize publicly.

The above Tiaga Bat Csl pic hurts the eye! That’s Csl sacrilege...
don't you love the shadow caused by the misalignment of the door creating a shadow on the rear quarter? not to mention how the rear quarter looks in general. goes to show that good photography with attention to detail really matters ... but not as much as knowing how to get the bodywork right to begin with. who did that car anyway?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the record I know @Ives well. He’s a great guy! I totally agree on the sentiment, particularly about not producing nonsense in someone’s auction.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
don't think anybody was attacking Ives ... i surely wasn't, and if it comes across that way, he has my sincere apology. i for one would like to see Terry sell his golf and somebody make it an even greater car than it already is, so i agree with his sentiment as well

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, just following advice learned long ago - never ask a rhetorical question in an open forum that you don't know the answer to in advance.