Thanks for the help deQuincey-Hood Support

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love this board!

This last spring and early summer, I've spent quite a bit of time under the hood of my coupe getting ready for local shows and the long trip to Oktoberfest. Maybe too much time! Last week, as I was closing the hood, I heard huge pop! It didn't sound good. As l looked in fear, I noticed the shut hood was completely out of alignment. I open it up to find the weld on the drivers side of the hood support had broke. My immediate fear was that these were no longer available and that it would take me forever to find one. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they are still available from BMW.

I called Carl and, of course, he had one of the shelf.

While waiting for it to show up, I did some digging on the board about how to replace it.

I found this incredible write up that deQuincey put together.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12775

It was a great help. Lining up the spring tensioned tube with the hinges was very challenging. I felt like I was mounting a loaded gun when I installed it.

Thanks again deQuincey!

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
+1 drivers side on mine as well. I did the welding repair myself so I can appreciate the "loaded gun" feeling pre-loading the spring.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hey, vince
sorry i missed this one
thank you for your kind words

regards

I love this board!

This last spring and early summer, I've spent quite a bit of time under the hood of my coupe getting ready for local shows and the long trip to Oktoberfest. Maybe too much time! Last week, as I was closing the hood, I heard huge pop! It didn't sound good. As l looked in fear, I noticed the shut hood was completely out of alignment. I open it up to find the weld on the drivers side of the hood support had broke. My immediate fear was that these were no longer available and that it would take me forever to find one. I was pleasantly surprised to find out they are still available from BMW.

I called Carl and, of course, he had one of the shelf.

While waiting for it to show up, I did some digging on the board about how to replace it.

I found this incredible write up that deQuincey put together.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12775

It was a great help. Lining up the spring tensioned tube with the hinges was very challenging. I felt like I was mounting a loaded gun when I installed it.

Thanks again deQuincey!