The future...............

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Local Austin shop, Moment Motors can build you an electric conversion of most any classic.

https://www.momentmotors.com/

90C638E6-FBA7-4243-86A9-AF7D5CBB1C40.jpeg

AF715ACB-1EFF-4515-B5C3-AFE331E55F5F.jpeg

F55FC7C1-6482-4984-9980-3CD0C072241C.jpeg

D466EDC1-0319-4A8C-8576-BBB9C43D6DFB.jpeg

Here’s a beautiful 912 they brought to our monthly BMW C&C...

They have a 2002 conversion in the works right now.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will be 100 years before oil/petrol runs out.

Classic cars gets driven so infrequently, not sure if it's worth switching?

Quite a novelty, but I prefer old school engines.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
it is not a matter of what you prefer, they ar building quite a bunch of regulations

On new cars. 2040 is still quite a way's out as far as buying a new car.

I'm sure gas engines on used cars that people already own will be phased out long after I'm dead.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
On new cars. 2040 is still quite a way's out as far as buying a new car.

I'm sure gas engines on used cars that people already own will be phased out long after I'm dead.

2040 is one thing, but traffic restrictions are scheduled here for 2019 !
...you will not be allowed to enter city centres (paris, munich, barcelona, madrid,...+others that i do not know), ...and petrol will be more and more expensive, ...and you willl have yearly smoke inspections, and so on, never ending new regulations will hunt you closer and closer
and it is going to be a matter of 2/5 years...

Rek

Reaction score
Legally, the UK seems to increasingly support classic cars. This includes, inter alia, nil car tax, exemption from annual inspections, exemptions from emissions requirements and reduced duty on importing important classic cars. Legislation is coming, and I would agree that it is going to be faster than anyone thinks. Electric power is too compelling but for classics it is an abomination equivalent to replacing the arms on the Venus de Milo. I am reminded of a quote from Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Legally, the UK seems to increasingly support classic cars. This includes, inter alia, nil car tax, exemption from annual inspections, exemptions from emissions requirements and reduced duty on importing important classic cars. Legislation is coming, and I would agree that it is going to be faster than anyone thinks. Electric power is too compelling but for classics it is an abomination equivalent to replacing the arms on the Venus de Milo. I am reminded of a quote from Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

i agree, i am sorry to say there is no culture of classic cars in spain, nothing, not only cars, not to mention old machinery (BTW all the water pump system in Bilbao was carried from the uk and settled here around 1890 it was that renovation, hidraulic marvels from nineteenth century pathetically abandoned and lost forever), tools, ....anything brand new is always better than old stuff (that is their motto)

here the ultimate consideration of normal people in the street is that you are sort of a rich idiot showing off your expensive and contaminant piece of junk, so if the government screw you up is well done, there will be no sympathies

noone will consider that you are saving, at your lonely expense, a piece of automotive history...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i agree, i am sorry to say there is no culture of classic cars in spain, nothing, not only cars, not to mention old machinery (BTW all the water pump system in Bilbao was carried from the uk and settled here around 1890 it was that renovation, hidraulic marvels from nineteenth century pathetically abandoned and lost forever), tools, ....anything brand new is always better than old stuff (that is their motto)

here the ultimate consideration of normal people in the street is that you are sort of a rich idiot showing off your expensive and contaminant piece of junk, so if the government screw you up is well done, there will be no sympathies

noone will consider that you are saving, at your lonely expense, a piece of automotive history...
It seems sooner rather than later, 2019??, most of the classic car people who reside on the Continent are going to wish they lived in the UK. In spite of a hard or soft Brexit. What de'Q has outlined above is nothing short of regulatory authority run amok in the hands/minds of pinhead Zealots.

And by tomorrow my name will be added to a list in Brussels.

Steve

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Not to get too philosophical, but people will be much different when these changes are implemented. When we acquire and maintain old machines, we not only keep the machines alive, we keep alive the skills necessary to maintain, operate and repair mechanical devices. This allows us the freedom to use machines without becoming slaves to them.

When mechanical devices are all replaced with computer based devices, we will no longer have this freedom. We will become totally dependent on whoever controls the computers.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
When mechanical devices are all replaced with computer based devices, we will no longer have this freedom. We will become totally dependent on whoever controls the computers.

the previous sentence is not the future, is now

average people can not see that, or they can see it but they are fascinated, just like bugs to aproaching highlights,
we all are bugs, just too stupid and insignificant to understand what is happening with our lives

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2040 is one thing, but traffic restrictions are scheduled here for 2019 !
...you will not be allowed to enter city centres (paris, munich, barcelona, madrid,...+others that i do not know), ...and petrol will be more and more expensive, ...and you willl have yearly smoke inspections, and so on, never ending new regulations will hunt you closer and closer
and it is going to be a matter of 2/5 years...
I'm glad I live in Texas where you can drive gas-guzzling cars, shoot unregistered weapons in your back yard, mix up a savory batch of crystal meth and date your first cousin without anyone looking at you in the least bit strange.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm glad I live in Texas where you can drive gas-guzzling cars, shoot unregistered weapons in your back yard, mix up a savory batch of crystal meth and date your first cousin without anyone looking at you in the least bit strange.

When did you start dating again?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I disagree with this sentiment. Computers have advanced motorsport immensely, love it or hate it. I would assert that there are more auto enthusiasts now than ever. A modified EMS allows one do wacky thinks with a car. Flat shifting, launch control, boost control, etc. Enthusiasts, particularly in the turbo 4cyl world are eating it up. It is short sighted to think that tuners won’t build interfaces that allow enthusiasts to “over clock” their electric cars, eek out more torque, remove traction control, etc.. Electric motor swaps, battery pack upgrades, the list goes on.

Complaining about this stuff makes one no different than the carb mechanic complaining about fuel injection ruining the hobby.

With all that said - I’m running carbs! :D

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have y’all read the book, “The last Open Road,” by Burt Levy? There is a romance about all those old, quirky, imperfect, highly individualized race cars.

These old cars required drivers to have more broad skills that were more easily visible to spectators. Crowds could hear mis-shifts, seesmoking overheated brakes, and reveled in drivers who could over come their highly imperfect cars.

The lower degree of automation and information on old race cars means more ways to screw up the driving task, which ends up creating more passing opportunities. The more imperfect nature of old technologies means cars that drive very differently on a track, leading to more passing and re-passing... and more exciting racing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The interesting thing about this is that it can be, and is in fact recreated today. The question is, regardless of how exciting it may be, is it what a broad audience really wants to watch? I’ll put my money on Formula One and Nascar. I’m happy that historic races are still going, and hope to visit one someday.

I think it would be really interesting to watch fully automated driverless racing with no restrictions except for a standard CPU.

Have y’all read the book, “The last Open Road,” by Burt Levy? There is a romance about all those old, quirky, imperfect, highly individualized race cars.

These old cars required drivers to have more broad skills that were more easily visible to spectators. Crowds could hear mis-shifts, seesmoking overheated brakes, and reveled in drivers who could over come their highly imperfect cars.

The lower degree of automation and information on old race cars means more ways to screw up the driving task, which ends up creating more passing opportunities. The more imperfect nature of old technologies means cars that drive very differently on a track, leading to more passing and re-passing... and more exciting racing.