The Life Story of my '71 Bavaria 2800

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
I have kept most of the info on other sites but It's time for you to meet her.

Posted from another site:
Long time listener, first time caller....

First off, some damn nice cars in here, keep up the good work guys!

And now to introduce my project.
History.... (you do not have to read, but it is entertaining)

Basically I picked up a Bavaria up in Oregon a couple months ago.I traded a 1994 Cherokee for the car.

DSC_6322.jpg

All I knew was that the car was in Portland, OR and I was in SF.

map-1.jpg

The car had been sitting for years and it ran fine when it was parked. Me and 3 buddies drove up and planned to drive it home.

CIMG9082.jpg

When we got there, we found a broken fan clutch and leaky fuel lines so the engine could not pump fuel. We fixed that after 3 hours in 112 degree weather. We are on the road!

CIMG9090.jpg

CIMG9092.jpg

CIMG9095.jpg

CIMG9098.jpg

CIMG9110.jpg

The trip: Took 3 days.
Gas was first.

CIMG9114.jpg

The very first thing that went wrong less then a mile away from your house was the throttle cable. There is a spline that was stripped so we fixed that at some gas station. It was so hot (i think 110) and a guy gave us some free waters and then another mechanic came by and asked if we needed anything. We did need a spring to hold the carbs shut. So we got that and the stripped spine fixed within 2 hours.

CIMG9118.jpg

CIMG9121.jpg

Code showing his appreciation of H2O

We started to head down the road to "horsepower freaks" to go and visit. We got there and hung out for a bit....

CIMG9127.jpg

but when we were walking back to the car, we noticed it was dripping from the transmission pretty bad. So we pulled into a shop real quick and tightened the tranny bolt. People were so nice there.

CIMG9130.jpg

As we started to head home, we pulled out of the driveway and the car shut down. So after a couple hours of trying to figure out what it was, we realized the fuel pump was clogged, so we had a spare in the trunk plugged that in and primed the system.Note everytime we had to fix something, we had to pull out about 100lbs of **** out of the trunk.

CIMG9141.jpg

It started up and again and we were off. Solid Driving that night! No problems, we were so happy.Minus the heat...
mad.gif

CIMG9147.jpg

CIMG9158.jpg

CIMG9145.jpg

Ryan
CIMG9159.jpg

Me

CIMG9176.jpg

11:00pm that night I was sitting in the back seat and noticed the center divide was very bright. What could that be? Police? ****! Nope! We were on fire.... We pull over, through everything out of the car as quick as we could and threw it onto the shoulder. Pablo Saved the bavaria and put out the fire. We were 20 miles south of Eugene, OR on I-5. We didn't know that and we tried to call for police but only my phone had battery out of the 4 we had. So after 1.5 hours, a tow truck found us and hauled us to Eugine and dropped us off in a neighborhood. We walked to a motel, and finally got some sleep since we were up from 8 the previous night when we left SF.

CIMG9199.jpg

CIMG9203.jpg

CIMG9208.jpg

CIMG9217.jpg

The next morning we looked at the damage. Note we have no money or phones. We found a little german shop we pushed the car to.

CIMG9237.jpg

Yes, Pablo had a chance to ghost ride ride it

photo.jpg

We checked out the damage real quick. They needed the lift and helped us so much by just letting us check it for a couple of minutes We must have drank their whole 5 gallons of cold crisp water. We were so dehydrated.

CIMG9232.jpg

To our surprise...

CIMG9234.jpg

CIMG9265.jpg

The drivers side rear brake must have been rubbing and caused so much heat it caught fire. It split the brake disc in half. So we pushed it again down the street and jacked up the car using the oem bmw tools, and removed the brake rotor. bolted the wheel back on. Thankfully the fire cause the whole caliper to seized so we didn't have to bleed the system. We also managed to get distracted by lighting a squished squirrel on fire.

CIMG9243.jpg

CIMG9249.jpg

CIMG9268.jpg

CIMG9240.jpg

We headed off and no problems occurred until we got to the State park by the CA border. We noticed the passenger side rear wheel was very hot. So we jacked it up, and pulled the brake disc on that side too. SO we had no rear brakes.

CIMG9271.jpg

CIMG9276.jpg

And back onto the road...Until....Problems!
We started to get to Eureka,CA. Around 11:00pm. Then realized we had NO BRAKES! We downshifted to a roll at an exit and found ourselves in an abandoned denny's. We had no idea what was going on. After 2 hours we found out that the rear caliper finally un siezed and was leaking causing no pressure in the system. So we found a fence and snapped the tip off to fit it in between the calipers where the rotor would be.

CIMG9306.jpg

CIMG9313.jpg

CIMG9307.jpg

CIMG9310.jpg

CIMG9310.jpg

That seemed to work. The next 6 hours we headed home with 1.5 brakes. The right front work way to good and the left front barely worked.
We did get home finally and I left it alone for about 2 weeks.

CIMG9327.jpg

CIMG9330.jpg

I Then drove it to my friends shop where I was going to overhaul everything mechanically.

Things I've done:
The old tranny was leaking to much for my liking so I decided I will somehow put a newer BMW 5-speed tranny in it.
-Put 5-speed Getrag 265/6
-New Shift linkage plate (e28)
-New clutch
-Machined Pressure plate
-New rear main seal
-New pilot bearing
-Had to fab up a cross member for the tranny
-Shortened and balanced the driveshaft
Brakes:
-New rotors
-New Calipers (2002 tii front calipers)
-New Pads
-New lines
Other things:
-17'' BBS style 5 wheels
-Tires
-New radiator
-Alternator from e28
-Sound system
-Fixed most the lights
-Another fuel of filter
-Wheel bearings
-Exhaust hangers
-Removed old cruise control unit
-Adjusted Carbs
-New fenders
-New bumper
-New bumper brackets
-valve cover gasket
-Fixed power steering leak
-Cap, Rotor, Plugs, etc

IMG00012-20090810-1857.jpg

DSC_6368.jpg

DSC_6369.jpg

DSC_6372.jpg

DSC_6373.jpg

DSC_6464.jpg

IMG00054-20090914-1830.jpg

IMG00055-20090914-1905.jpg

DSC_6462.jpg

DSC_6463.jpg

DSC_6457.jpg

So, I have been driving it every day (at least 60 miles a day) for the last several weeks and I couldn't be happier. I love the thing and have so more work to do.

Next is paint, some interior stuff, and coilovers.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
Well, The pics kinda suck. I was in a rush and did not have a tripod. But you get the idea.
DSC_6698.jpg

DSC_6701.jpg

DSC_6710.jpg

DSC_6720.jpg

DSC_6725.jpg

DSC_6727.jpg

DSC_6730.jpg

Rick

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
Well, I have been kinda making progress.
Unfortunately, somebody blew the rings in the engine 2 weekends ago. But, I already picked up a m30b35 out of an e34. So, that should be going in soon. I also managed to get my wood steering wheel refinished and am working on rear headrests. I also picked up small pieces that have been missing.

DSC_6855.jpg

DSC_6857.jpg

DSC_6858.jpg

DSC_6860.jpg

DSC_6861.jpg

DSC_6862.jpg

DSC_6864.jpg

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
Welding in a new front clip before I do the engine. This one is bent and destroyed.
some cell pics...

IMG00050-20100217-1537.jpg

IMG00051-20100217-1538.jpg
Cutting the front clip off getting ready for the new one....

DSC_6894.jpg

DSC_6896.jpg

and one more.......

Cell phone pics....

IMG00057-20100223-1641.jpg

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
DSC_6900.jpg

DSC_6901.jpg

DSC_6902.jpg

Below shows the new front clip! exciting! should be all welded up in the next few days.

DSC_6903.jpg

DSC_6904.jpg

DSC_6905.jpg

DSC_6906.jpg

Getting ready for paint!

DSC_6924.jpg

DSC_6926.jpg

DSC_6928.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys are great. More Balls and knowhow than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Enjoyed every word every photo.
Keep us posted.

Steve

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
oh, and just got this from the owner of the body shop.

jhj.jpg

jj.jpg

Huge update!
DSC_6935.jpg

DSC_6937.jpg

Removing the battery trey.

DSC_6938.jpg

outside the booth peeking through

DSC_6969.jpg

in the booth now
DSC_6970.jpg

DSC_6971.jpg

DSC_6973.jpg

DSC_6975.jpg

DSC_6977.jpg

looks so sad...

DSC_6996.jpg

new clip on....

DSC_6998.jpg

DSC_7001.jpg

DSC_7003.jpg

getting towed back home for the engine swap

DSC_7013.jpg

Isn't that just b-e-a-utiful!?

DSC_7016.jpg

DSC_7018.jpg

DSC_7018.jpg

DSC_7020.jpg

this is where they cut. Can't even tell!

DSC_7021.jpg

DSC_7022.jpg

DSC_7023.jpg

DSC_7025.jpg

DSC_7027.jpg

DSC_7028.jpg

DSC_7029.jpg

I want to thank Gabriel at UACC in Burlingame,CA
Him and his team specializes in alot of older vehicles and does an amazing job. If you look in your upcoming performance BMW magazine, you will see some of his work shown. Highly recommend Gab for any type of body work. As some of you know, this is the same place that jabber jaw was restored!

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
The Refinished MOMO steering wheel

DSC_7119.jpg

The Manifold I had cut and rewelded. Except they really messed up. You can see the lines I made for them to cut and they failed. Have to get that redone.

DSC_7123.jpg

DSC_7124.jpg

And the Bavaria keeps warm sitting next to my buddy's Turbo 02
smile.gif

DSC_7095.jpg

cheers!

rickysbmw320i

Reaction score
Alrighty folks, I have had alot on my plate lately so it's been hard to post up pics and update.

So, In order for this engine to fit properly, I had to use the oil pan from the old engine so it clears the subframe. That also means you need to change the the oil sump pickup. And of course there are small differences. So I ended up taking the old oil sump neck, bolted it to the new engine's oil pump and bolted on the old pan. Also replaced the rear main seal.

DSC_7278.jpg

DSC_7285.jpg

DSC_7275.jpg

DSC_7277.jpg

As for the clutch, I used the one I recently bought from the 5-speed swap. The new engine has a 30lb dual mass flywheel. Threw that out and used my 14 pounder. Can't wait to feel that!

After It was prepped, We started to put this beast in. Note it was 10pm on a Monday night.

DSC_7286.jpg

untitled1-1.jpg

untitled-16.jpg

So after 12:00 no luck....
frown.gif

We were so tired and it just didn't want to go in. I slept on it and started working on it by myself the next afternoon. later that day my roommate rolled through and lent me a hand. We had a bad angle on the tranny the whole time and thats why it wouldn't budge. So, We jacked it up a bit and the tranny clicked to the engine. Sounded like Lego's snapping together. Finally the engine was in and I could finally return that hoist that was costing me $40 a damn day.

IMG00129-20100429-1646.jpg

DSC_7302.jpg

DSC_7303.jpg

DSC_7300.jpg

And of coarse the booster would not fit with the manifold so I had to figure that out to. Either I could cut the booster more or find an epicly rare and expensive booster from a 2002tii. I ended up finding one at the shop and started to figure out what I had to do in order for that to fit. I had to shorted the shaft going to the brake pedal and use some random hardware but its finally all in. And look at that, it fits!

IMG00123-20100429-1606.jpg

Old booster
DSC_7297.jpg

New Booster
DSC_7340.jpg

Did some wiring and bolted on the headers. I also managed to get my hands on a barely used radiator from a 79 5 series. Fits perfect! And looks sex with the electric fan in front of it.

DSC_7341.jpg

lots of room!
DSC_7344.jpg

DSC_7338.jpg

DSC_7349.jpg

DSC_7337.jpg

Also Ripped out the A/C system and started mocking up a new custom center console.

DSC_7224.jpg

DSC_7345.jpg

DSC_7346.jpg

Last but not least, started working on the Fuel injection pumps. grabbed a low pressure sender from a 82 320i and a high pressure pump from a '86 5 series (like mike's 5er).

DSC_7347.jpg

DSC_7348.jpg

that's all for now. I eventually will take everything apart again and paint and clean BUT.... I have to try to get this running before the 22nd of this month. I am trying to drive it to L.A. for a huge BMW show. We will see
confused.gif

Thats all I have But will keep you guys updated as well!

-Rick

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are making amazing progress. I just remembered, my mechanic who worked for an independent shop for years and years has a Bavaria tool kit shell(no tools) still in the original parts bag. Never installed.
If you are interested let me know. I can send pics. This is cherry.
Prefer you contact my at [email protected]

Steve

pamp

Reaction score
Balls up

Man,
You guys have some Balls! Wood in the caliper? Just cannot figure how you got away with this one...I have a 3.5 manifold that is a bit dinged but probably better than what you have.
Yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you want it and / or photos

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
3.5 Conversion injection or no injection?

You should toss that injection, use the new MSD 6 programmable ignition that came out last month, and slap some 45mm Webers on that beast... Alvin Tan's shop does really nice body work, you just don't see that type of work these days anymore... Complete paint job's start at $10,000 last I was in there, did they use Acrylic Enamel or Euro-thane to match the cars paint? Agave Green...

careysd

Reaction score
Ricky, nice job. Getting ready to do this this weekend. Ready for the fun. I was going to go with the L-Jet manifold, but have chosen not to. A couple questions for you:

1. What booster was that you went with? I have heard that gently massaging the stock one with a hammer will work. Thoughts or opinions?

2. What about cutting down/shortening the booster bracket that pushes it so far out into the engine bay. Take about 3" out of it and reweld?

3. Throttle linkage? What did you come up with?

Thanks, watching and learning...

Scott