UPDATES:The old CSL is home...

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Haha- all good ;-) I will need some help with those Petri wheels though. They sound like they are in rough shape. I hope the Alpina is the 380mm but not the end of the world if not. Did they make flat spoke 370mm Alpinas? I've seen the 370mm Prototipos in 911's but they weren't Alpinas.

On another note, I also found out the car was originally delivered to Horst Meier in Germany. He's supposed to have been tied to German motorsport somehow? I'm trying to find out more details on that.

Well, it will likely be a while before I get into it (outside of making sure it's in general good health), and still looking at planning and direction. Thanks for your support!

Not at all @tferrer! Just ribbing you and providing social commentary on the BaT CSL comments. ~1,000 CSL’s manufactured and everyone seemed to own one “back in the day”. I hope you know that I had zero doubt. :)

I also have zero doubt that you will make it amazing. When you get the wheels, post the 38. We can tell you if it is a CSL wheel. Lots of options for restoring. The Petri stitch isn’t as uncommon or difficult as the momo stitch so you can reproduce the CSL leather fairly easily (if you pay attention to the details).

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
nounou... a 2004 M3 CSL not running away from him... think it was the driver ? My son had one , this is another performance then a 70's M30.... :)
Unless of course you have a 350HP M30.... ?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
nounou... a 2004 M3 CSL not running away from him... think it was the driver ? My son had one , this is another performance then a 70's M30.... :)
Unless of course you have a 350HP M30.... ?

Yes, I agree Barry. Likely a big discrepancy in talent. The seller of the CSL has been vintage racing 911s forever so I'm assuming he can pedal.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: I overnighted the check for my old CSL yesterday and was waiting for the pickup for tomorrow (Saturday). The seller received a call from the shipper and said the schedule had changed and could the car be ready today?! So the car should be getting loaded as I type. I'm nervous...

The seller had to pack up all the spares (see pic) which included lots of interesting stuff including 2 Petris in addition to the Alpina Momo (Pre-CSL Alpina) and allegedly a close ratio G265/5. An original set of progressive CSL springs and some suspension parts. Two NOS aluminum door skins, two CSL airdams and the roof hoop (missing the hardware) amongst other stuff.

There are several large ticket items I didn't get as I really didn't need them but they are for sale. An NOS factory CSL door (not the skin - the whole door! ), an NOS, CSL windshield and some special mystery race cam from Korman that we are trying to figure out.

Stay tuned for updates! Hopefully things go smoothly.

IMG_20200918_112855_276.jpg
IMG_20200916_004438_279.jpg

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating this thread lately. Been busy with swapping garages and getting the car to @sfdon for a preliminary once over (soon to be twice over!).

The car got here safely and the driver was fantastic to work with with unsolicited updates all along the way. If you are moving a car to the west coast from FL, he's definitely worth a look. DM for info if you are interested.

The car of course looks rougher than the pictures but it's perfectly fine with me as I intend to try and:

-slow the few areas of rust down with converter and encapsulator
-reduce the chance of explosion due to old and cracked fuel lines
-improve the overall motor health - couple items that need further investigation
-start hunting down parts for the restoration in a year or two. Those parts are
*lower interior panel (or 2), non a/c console sides - especially the console sides. If anyone has a pair in excellent condition, please let me know.
*correct late 72 date code 7x14 Alpinas
*locate (if possible) the correct CSL Petri hub

While all that is happening, drive it like I stole it.

It's quite low and stiffly sprung and has what look to be CN camber plates maxed out. The wheels on the car are 15" ATS running 225/50 r15's. Surprisingly enough, they don't look half bad. The car came with a set of 14" 1975 BMW Mahle Motorsport basket weaves that were on the car when I bought it back in the later 80s but the XWX's (which look amazing BTW) are over 30 yrs old so only for show purposes.

As previously mentioned, the car has the motor from the Batmobile #2275447. Not really knowing much about CSLs when I bought the car, I never really checked! The previous owner who did know and did check was quite surprised. So if anyone knows who owns #447, tell them I have their engine!

The interior is the roughest part of the car and it's mainly the lower dash panels as well as the center console panels. They are rough. The steering wheel in the car measures 360mm and is a very early (66-67) Alpina, which looks to have original leather with beautiful patina. The hub is strange but drilled for a momo pattern and has what appears to be an original crinkle paint finish.

The headlights (brights) are lights the PO purchased while in Germany and have a beautiful clear upper with fluted lower and a large "C" in the center. Perhaps Cibie or Carello? I'll take pictures. There are also some very cool clear plastic bubble lense covers that protect the lights that the PO also got in Germany. Neat little details.

The dash wood isn't bad with the exception of the drivers side door and small dash corner piece.

The correct 5 slat kidney grill has a dent in the center but I'm hopeful it can be restored to close to original later on.

It's heading back to Don's this Friday for the vacuum and fuel line work and to get it up on the lift to find more items to address, I'm sure!

Stay tuned

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_135043_546.jpg
    IMG_20200926_135043_546.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200926_113853.jpg
    20200926_113853.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 20200926_113837.jpg
    20200926_113837.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 20200926_130949.jpg
    20200926_130949.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 1601959640218_Alpina Momo 006 (2).jpg
    1601959640218_Alpina Momo 006 (2).jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Alpina Momo 002 (2)~2.jpg
    Alpina Momo 002 (2)~2.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Alpina Momo 005.jpg
    Alpina Momo 005.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
lower interior panel (or 2), non a/c console sides - especially the console sides. If anyone has a pair in excellent condition, please let me know.
I think these are available through CS-Werke, Christoph Bier in Germany. I think he also has a English website version, but his English is excellent.
His reproductions are very accurate.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think these are available through CS-Werke, Christoph Bier in Germany. I think he also has a English website version, but his English is excellent.
His reproductions are very accurate.

Thanks, Erik - Yes, I've been in touch with him. I've yet to see one that looks factory though. I'll have to get some close ups.

Update: Dropped it off with @sfdon today. After it was up in the air, we poked around the underside of the car where Don and Martin's eagle eyes found some needs but nothing major, which was a relief. More to come on this front I'm sure.
IMG_20201009_133212_748.jpg

Last edited: