The professor is officially for sale 1970 2800CS

Robert A

Reaction score
Every time I think I want to pass on ' The Professor' it's a false start. I love the car and just find it hard to let it go, but I think its time.

So many things have been completed on the car, so I will try to list them all here from memory and receipts.

Purchased the car from Portland, Oregon in 2014. The car was shipped in an enclosed trailer. The car was in excellent shape but had the ugly DOT marker lights and some break fluid had dripped on the hood from a car placed on the transporter over the professor. So the car was first taken to Korman's in NC to do the mechanicals, then The Paint Shoppe where Korman's sends out their restorations.

• Paint- Windows, bumpers, trim, door handles and rubber removed. $10,209.00
Trunk, engine compartment, under hood and deck lid painted
Firewall/engine pad removed and replaced with new
Hood insulation
Emblems/roundels (all)​
  • All windows removed and moving parts cleaned and lubed
  • All interior/exterior, hood, trunk, doors, and glass/window rubber trip replaced with new
  • Total heating, cooling/AC system, hoses, mounts, supports, dryer, fan clutch, expansion tank, refurbished/replaced as needed
  • Stainless exhaust
  • Ceramic coated down tubes and exhaust flange
  • Speedometer and clock refurbished by VDO
  • New Weber Carbs (not side draft) with OE air cleaner in place
  • New Blistering shocks, struts, bump stops and replaced anti sway bar ends
  • New Hood latch lever
  • All breaks, rotors, lines, drums, emergency brakes front to back
  • Battery ground strap
  • All door trim wood trim replaced (only the drivers side door was starting to delaminate)
  • Complete tool kit with red Heyco screwdrivers
  • OE rims refurbished by Paul Erlich and Michelin WXW mounted ($500.00/each) with 4 miles
  • Genuine staggered Alpina rims with modern high performance tires
  • More...
One dash crack was repaired while the car was being painted. An perfect Nardi steering wheel and original rims with XWX tires are installed. The OE steering wheel, Alpina rims with tires, Zenith carbs are included.

I have more stuff that I had repaired and replaced that I can remember. Every nob, lever, light, dial works on this car except the windshield washer and under hood light (I have not tried to fix these). This is a beautiful better than driver quality rust free car with no excuses. Please know this is not a concourse car. I have over 85k in the car including the 29k purchase price. Just think what it would cost to get a car with needs... Fly in and drive cross country. I would!!!

So the important thing is, how much do I want. The price is a firm 58k, but I can entertain partial trades for another vintage BMW that needs nothing, e28 or e30 (I have a 74tii).

Please email me at [email protected] or phone at 503-970-2276. I live in Wilmington, NC not Portland, OR but still have the old number.

I have added the shutterfly account to see more pictures.
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/100101666503
The account is [email protected] and the password for the pictures is Phototime!@34 (cap sensitive)

Please read the whole add before you post questions. I can send the scan of the receipts, so email on my Hotmail.

Regards,

Robert

P.S. Andrew-Our vintage guest may have to ride with you in your M3 if the professor sells soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.JPG
    IMG_3098.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 449
  • IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 418
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 494
  • IMG_3092.JPG
    IMG_3092.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 391

Robert A

Reaction score
Well folks, what are your thoughts on this car? Asking too much? Not a 3.0! Wrong color. Let me know.
Anyone know a person that wants an e9, but has second thought about a 2800CS... Thoughts??? Where should I list this? Auction maybe?

Thanks Robert

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i don't think 2800cs vs 3.0cs is a huge deterrent. differences - 200cc (still basically same stock power) keith martin actually rated the 2800cs as a more desirable car. the other differences are brakes - the fronts are easily changed to vented ... the rear drums to disks ... not so much. other than that, not a whole lot of other difference. i dislike the 2800cs front seatbelts and no roof hoop to mount the 3.0cs front belts.

i don't think too many people are going to gripe about polaris silver. you used some good people to do work - Korman, Paul Ehrlich, etc. i think your price is more than reasonable.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice car. The only question is why. The work done since 2014 seemed like you would keep the car forever. And 2014 was like yesterday...

Maybe James Dean has the answer, upgrade your car as if you will own it forever, drive it as if you will sell it tomorrow...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2800 vs 3.0 would make no difference to me if i was in the market. It looks like a great car, i think patience might be the strategy.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very good ad. I've seen The Professor several times and it is definitely an excellent price for a turnkey E9.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Robert A

Reaction score

Robert A

Reaction score
2800 vs 3.0 would make no difference to me if i was in the market. It looks like a great car, i think patience might be the strategy.

I'm not in a hurry to sell, I think word of mouth is my strategy for now. And a sign in the window at the vintage.

dbower

Reaction score
I do want me some of those Blistering shocks. Too hot to handle. ;-)

See ya at the Vintage. Looks like I'll be in our black 2002 targa. GLSW.

Don

Robert A

Reaction score
Andrew-And a very nice looking new to you M5. Maybe I should sell the tii too and just get a M5 or 535is.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like a great car for a fair price. Assuming you really want to part with it, I think putting it on the market this time of year and showing it around at the various meets is a good way to market the car. I was at the PVGP last year with a fellow e9 guy and somebody walked up to him and asked him what he wanted for it. His car is in great shape - he asked $90k. The buyer thought about it overnight, but then said no. Nonetheless, I watched the interaction and I thought I was going to have to give him a ride home.