The things you see... mechanics gone bad.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A1886B04-06E9-4998-9F03-F746F5F6BD0A.jpeg

Re-installing a PS reservoir today and open up to put in a fresh filter only to find......

No filter
No filter plate
No clip
No wing nut
Gasket floating in bottom....

And !

The missing dashboard bracket!, a 1985 automatic transmission oil pan bracket! And the missing valve cover nut all artfully assembled.

Last edited by a moderator:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed the oil filter on this resto of mine. The lip on the canister is pushed in at one location (how do you do that?) and it was in place with blue "make a gasket". I have a top mount housing I bought years ago luckily. I await other surprises. Upside is that I found a deutsche mark from 1968 behind the back seats.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I removed the oil filter on this resto of mine. The lip on the canister is pushed in at one location (how do you do that?) and it was in place with blue "make a gasket". I have a top mount housing I bought years ago luckily. I await other surprises. Upside is that I found a deutsche mark from 1968 behind the back seats.
When I was running with drag racing juvenile deliquents in the 60s, guys who worked in dealerships would joke about doing a valve job on V8s. Well, it was actually half a valve job because they only did one side. What fun.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I was running with drag racing juvenile deliquents in the 60s, guys who worked in dealerships would joke about doing a valve job on V8s. Well, it was actually half a valve job because they only did one side. What fun.
And D'q nailed it. "Nothing surprises me."

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I changed mine, it was the dirtiest filter I had ever seen.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I got my car and did 1st oil change the filter cannister did not have the spring, plate etc inside. Also the thermostat was sealed with gobs of orange atv.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am trying to restore a 57' Norton
I was discussing how previous owners hacked everything and he said something like "I've seen it all"
He said I guy brought a bike in and said it smells like burning wood, he took it apart and it had a wooden piston

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted this before but it goes well in this thread. Here is the creative positioning of the exhaust gaskets I found on my car... How much brain power does it require to look at two gaskets side by side and notice that something is a little off?

578669b1-04dc-4599-8576-f8d86c9fe9eb-jpeg.34156

f7c1a6a0-e371-4f98-8a81-9401e53ca3f8-jpeg.34157

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted this before but it goes well in this thread. Here is the creative positioning of the exhaust gaskets I found on my car... How much brain power does it require to look at two gaskets side by side and notice that something is a little off?

That is an old hot rod trick called port unmatching. It increases back pressure to shift your torque curve to the lower rpm range. If you do it on a few cylinders you get the best of both worlds! o_O

m_thompson

Reaction score
It looks like my CS was driven over a bolder some time in it's early life. The back of the transmission case that supports the exhaust bracket was broken off and poorly welded. It leaked all of the fluid out, and the previous owners drove it like that long enough to destroy the bearings. This was done before 5-speeds were available so my only choice was to send the transmission to Metric Mechanic. They gave me a new case and upgraded the bearings and other internals. Been working fine for 36 years.