The Vintage May 21, 2016 - E9 Pictures

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was my first time attending The Vintage, glad I decided to take the 2800CS down there even given the sometimes wet weather.
Was a great event with so many cars to see. Best part though was hearing the stories about how the cars were acquired
and/or restored/modified.

Was happy to get the change to meet Amy and see her beautiful coupe. Also meeting Luis and seeing his 3.0SI in the flesh,
looks even more striking than the photos posted in the forum.

Tried to get photos of all the coupes, unfortunately wasn't able to meet all the owners. Looking at all the 2002's kept me busy too.

I've gathered all the coupe photos into a slide show:

http://s579.photobucket.com/user/cot3098/slideshow/The Vintage May 2016

pedro

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope you were able to meet Don Bower and Doug Dolan too. I was wondering who's beautiful Schwarz CS. Only problem with The Vintage is not being able to meet everyone and put a name and face with the car. Considering few of us know real names what each other look like. :confused: :(

Everyone kept asking me about Athena.

I looked exactly like this on show day. Tried to see all my coupe, 2002 & E28 M5 friends Photo by Rodney Middendorf.

Guess we need a what do you look like thread.

Attachments

• 13244036_10156868563805184_3944297667198101095_o.jpg
    13244036_10156868563805184_3944297667198101095_o.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 186

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great pictures! Thanks for posting. So many great looking cars.

Love the Tiaga Si, I wish I could see that car in person (along with all of the others). I can see why Coupe Lady's car has won so many times.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couple questions:

1. What is that coating on Coupe Lady's radiator fluid reservoir that looks like copper? Is that a paint? I like it, looks good.

2. On her tool box there is some nice aluminum trim/coated plastic maybe looks like above the tools. I've never seen that. Are those custom pieces and what is the material?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Couple questions:

1. What is that coating on Coupe Lady's radiator fluid reservoir that looks like copper? Is that a paint? I like it, looks good.

2. On her tool box there is some nice aluminum trim/coated plastic maybe looks like above the tools. I've never seen that. Are those custom pieces and what is the material?

1. It is polished brass. Yes she keeps it polished.

2. That looks like foil hood insulation. Picture attached from The Vintage 2012.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3541.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 206

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew thanks.....

So did she have the plastic piece molded and cast in Brass? I'm a little confused on that. Those were never made in brass were they?

Second question was referring more to the two separate metal or coated plastic pieces in tool kit lid on the top rim of toolbox. I don't recall ever seeing those.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is made of gold. I was going to have it encrusted in diamonds; but my Rabbi told me it was too over the top. Oh well.

I did however look through the photos, those are some very beautiful cars! Thank you for sharing with us.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew thanks.....

So did she have the plastic piece molded and cast in Brass? I'm a little confused on that. Those were never made in brass were they?

Second question was referring more to the two separate metal or coated plastic pieces in tool kit lid on the top rim of toolbox. I don't recall ever seeing those.

The black metal tanks on CSs are brass under the paint, plastic tanks aren't painted from what I've seen.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh interesting, I never knew that...cool. I wonder why they were painted over black? So they wouldn't have to be polished I guess? That looks really nice polished, nice touch! Thanks! Never owned a coupe just always assumed they were plastic under the black paint.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I broke from tradition and do the polished brass tank look, when I had it blasted and resoldered it was too nice to paint back over. It requires a few minutes of polishing every couple of weeks or so but it's a labor of love and can be done around the c0cktail hour.

Oh interesting, I never knew that...cool. I wonder why they were painted over black? So they wouldn't have to be polished I guess? That looks really nice polished, nice touch! Thanks! Never owned a coupe just always assumed they were plastic under the black paint.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I broke from tradition and do the polished brass tank look, when I had it blasted and resoldered it was too nice to paint back over. It requires a few minutes of polishing every couple of weeks or so but it's a labor of love and can be done around the c0cktail hour.

I am curious to know if you had it clear/ceramic coated at Speedway if it would still tarnish or maintain its luster.

Your Bavaria should have a brass tank as well.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Steve I would do the same thing...as much as we are around the cars, whats a little extra polish? The painted black on those always looked out of place. Now I'm thinking of replacing the plastic one on my Bav with a brass one.....ah oh.:?:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am curious to know if you had it clear/ceramic coated at Speedway if it would still tarnish or maintain its luster.

I don't think clear coat would hold up to too many heat cycles. Mine is not mirror polished, but more of a natural patina look.

NsnXVYpbB99bfiozFCtcAwV-eWbIxsqbuZSa_ywlLcaHvhzOwNA7cQWhJJi7tdk2PQSQzbFmt-lmyxJ8oArmxEHoxXJncQGhuH7eJJ4bSRzLEDka0Dx1g36YSKbxYPtFEPfUarhOzU5aQNtrosQf3NTaOrdoyytVP1_qL-B8osTATysGO_V3mHka6kbhYLtfGrCFmZx0oft3Bw4b3l6DuMcpElViOmo-Yn4K9i03UZyqOE-WqeEhSWrH_4prC3CBPy6efMxrEYl3LKMF8zi3m0jZRtuWyNNNrj7GixXY6PEEIjKwwZvqEamyA4jo47nLtU7CZTgLX3SziW2uBgA_T9EuCo9baFEpPro1WYE3yJAv7n1t9CTiqqoj3vV4nsWSStTRkE0zTWH795FDTlZbsu8CJQlm_vK4ivU-gYHDsonfV6lacfAuzVIuNGKOamajmpj27Q9CXlO1CN_GaF-qqpHFwx-PD6rYVSGxH684D9MenKMI2nP-7Q7PND0ytBtYAPZLLA8v8qZCLdLBnHlGCcXKeFruiDzNM3j4wQVUe6eJ9vthYO05aJxNLh233DXca0Ffx8fp8ILzfWOyLS06ymfPPFDJTho=w879-h659-no

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The clear ceramic will last, it's on my valve cover, manifolds, thermo housing, all sorts of bits. And I can wipe them clean with a Kleenex!

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hope you were able to meet Don Bower and Doug Dolan too. I was wondering who's beautiful Schwarz CS. Only problem with The Vintage is not being able to meet everyone and put a name and face with the car. Considering few of us know real names what each other look like. :confused: :(

Everyone kept asking me about Athena.

I looked exactly like this on show day. Tried to see all my coupe, 2002 & E28 M5 friends Photo by Rodney Middendorf.

Guess we need a what do you look like thread.

Andrew,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, I would have liked that. I saw your beautiful tii, hard to miss with the Maine plate with VERN on it.
Unfortunately no one was there when I was around it.

I did talk to both Don and Doug, nice guys with very nice cars.

Normally I'm never in pictures since I handle the camera, my wife did catch me though drying off the car for the 3rd time.
DSC_0216aaa_zpsnojtwf3r.jpg

dbower

Reaction score
I enjoyed chatting with Pedro and seeing his beautiful black coupe. Two particularly interesting features: front wheelwell inserts (not Volvo) and the legendary but rarely-seen front undertray (fiberglass reproduction). Very interesting.

Pedro, hope you'll make it to more E9 events with your great car.

BTW, the chrome metal supports on Amy's toolkit were custom-made by her to provide extra support. And to be something else to polish.

Don

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I enjoyed chatting with Pedro and seeing his beautiful black coupe. Two particularly interesting features: front wheelwell inserts (not Volvo) and the legendary but rarely-seen front undertray (fiberglass reproduction). Very interesting.

BTW, the chrome metal supports on Amy's toolkit were custom-made by her to provide extra support. And to be something else to polish.

Don

Don thanks, great idea I love Amy's idea and makes practical and aesthetic sense....!!!!

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score

Don

Don, it was a privilege to be parked with such an outstanding group of coupes like yours and Doug.

Those two additions made the decision to brave the rain forecasted easier (but only a little bit). On the drive home
I was glad that the rain stopped after I crossed back into Ohio so the car was dry by the time I got home.
And yes I hope to be able to attend other events.

Pedro

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pedro, are your fender liners Lokari?
A majority of the Nor'E9ers who go to VSR for service are running them. I've had them on Athena for 2 years.