These e28s are really starting to grow on me

duane_sword

Reaction score
if you like the E28, check this out!

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/09/20/bat-exclusive-nut-bolt-restored-hartge-h5s/

1985_Hartge_BMW_H5S_E28_For_Sale_Front_1.JPG

acat2002

Reaction score
I just got my daily serving of Bring-A-Trailer and noticed the Hartge 5.
Assuming both cars are comparable in condition, what do you think is more desireable?
The Hartge is aparently more rare and has some cool race bits.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep. It was that Hartage from BAT that lead me to mye28.com where someone posted the Dinan. The Dinan is asking $28k, I think that Hartage is +$40k. For me, I think Id take the Dinan. Although having said that, the builder of the Hartage is over in OC, California and seems to be very well respected based on the thread in mye28.com. Does anyone know who he is ? Clearly a very talented builder.

duane_sword

Reaction score
The difference in asking price matters... but in terms of rarity, originality and collectability I would go for the Hartge personally... but a $40k garage queen is a lot if you only plan to put 2k miles or so per year.... for a regular driving car where you wouldn't feel 'bad' about putting 5k+ miles/year then I would pursue the Dinan... I recall there was an E28 M5 on the Roundel classifieds a few weeks back, original BMW M5 E28 with around 60k miles on the clock asking for around $12k

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The difference in asking price matters... but in terms of rarity, originality and collectability I would go for the Hartge personally... but a $40k garage queen is a lot if you only plan to put 2k miles or so per year.... for a regular driving car where you wouldn't feel 'bad' about putting 5k+ miles/year then I would pursue the Dinan... I recall there was an E28 M5 on the Roundel classifieds a few weeks back, original BMW M5 E28 with around 60k miles on the clock asking for around $12k

The Dinan would be a ton faster, but I would have significant reservations driving it hard. If something breaks (and you know it will) finding replacements for all that specialty hardware will not be easy. I'd probably spend a bit of time and money updating most of the aftermarket systems to more modern components, like a MegaSquirt DME/knock system, among other things.

Plus, finding a mechanic to take care of a car that tweaked is hard, other than the original mechanic that built the thing. A later mechanic would spend most of the time just figuring out the last guy's work, rather than fixing the car.

TodB

Reaction score
E28s

Great cars, the E28s. I'm on my third. There are a fair number of E28 owners on this board.

If you're hooked :), I'd get a good iS that someone else has tastefully modded (suspension and brakes) and maintained well, i.e. paperwork, but also expect to apply the "$2K rule" to bring it up to par. If you want more power, throw a E36 M3 motor at it or turbo the existing M30. You'd be into it for ~$10-12K and have a great car.

The Dinan Turbo, if we are talking the same car, was posted by BimmerBros whose rep has been discussed on this board previously (I bought my latest 5er from them). If you really want a Turbo, go with a TCD or Miller Turbo package and add it on to a stock M30. The E28 Dinan turbo approach is a bit dated and, as mentioned, parts would be challenging. Check out the Forced Induction section of the Mye28 forum for more M30 Turbo info.

Either way, you'd be into it for 1/2 of the Dinan or 1/3 of the Hartge, which is beautiful BTW but I'd be almost scared to drive it for that price.

And I admit it - I don't get the collector car value thing. Depends what you are into I guess. I like to drive, not clean.

Good luck!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hartge

Ron P did an incredible job on the Hartge as everyone who attended the BMW CCA Summer Concours in Carmel this August can attest. It is an exquisite example of Ron's inspiration and hard work that brought this e28 to this level. As mentioned it won the open Concours category and was also selected as people's choice from over 50 competitors. When Ron competes everyone else is scambling for second!

RonP

Reaction score
Ron P did an incredible job on the Hartge as everyone who attended the BMW CCA Summer Concours in Carmel this August can attest. It is an exquisite example of Ron's inspiration and hard work that brought this e28 to this level. As mentioned it won the open Concours category and was also selected as people's choice from over 50 competitors. When Ron competes everyone else is scambling for second!

Thanks, Chris! That is really a tough crowd up there, and you never know what to expect in terms of excellence. This years event was no exception, although having a seperate '02 and Coupe events made it a little easier.

We spared no expense on the restoration of this car and there shouldn't be any suprise that I have no less than four people that are very interested in the car at my price. Today's market is unpredictable to say the least, so we will see if one of them actually pulls the trigger.

Although I love my coupe, the e28 is really a great every day car and one of the best BMWs ever built. This tuner car is no exception...it will really put your wallet in the back seat!

shanon

Reaction score
Can attest to the build of RonP's Hartge as I was parked a few rows back in the 'Coupe Modified' section that fine day in Carmel, his Hartge is amazing! Nice work Ron.

Can also attest to Hartge as a tuner, my brothers and I "found" and put a Hartge H5S head mated to a 3.5L into a E28 and put some Hartge rims like RonP's, makes for a great E28 package. (Now if we can only find the Hartge valve cover!) That motor almost went in my coupe until a nice E28 project showed up...just made more sense.

If I had the scratch, I'd go for an Alpina B9 or a Hartge H5S, granted if I could find one, and crush the fairways with it. For a realistic, daily urban assault vehicle, be more likely to tweak a clean, well maintained IS.

I'll have an E3, E12 or E28 someday...;-)
-shanon

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I think the E28 is one of those cars that goes from an ugly duckling to a really cool looking ride with a few choice mods. Just changing the suspension and wheels makes it look like a different car. My 19 year old daughter is on a "boxy car" thing and has to have something older and boxy. I bought her a '91 318is with a bad motor that I'm planning on rebuilding, but she said she really likes the E28's. I'd have to say that the '88 528e we had was one of the best cars ever. Sold it with 275k miles on it and it ran great.

My friend (yes, I actually have friends) bought an E28 M5 last year. Nice.

Dan

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
E28 m5

In the uk, I've owned 5 of these machines throughout the 90's and used them as everyday transport - a great driving machine.

I've kept the last one I bought and happens to be the very last UK chassis no with only 11,000 miles since new.

The Dinan one would be some machine and not overpriced with that mileage...

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Chassis WBS....187

jonathan49bat, I thought the legendary, Paul Layzell, Chassis 187 belonged to Richard Baxter!?

Congratulations on a wonderful E28 M5. As far a colours go, it is nice to see another car in Schwarzblau-Met.

If you ever get a chance, please post a pic of the built sheet attached to the rear seat.

Thanks

Kevin

pls see: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e28-m5-discussion/73668-e28-m5-individual-4.html

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
Some of the BAT commenters have no idea what they are talking about on this one. Rust aside, this one might have potential.