Updated, Thinking of installing a engine Start Button, (Tumbler?)

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I’ve replace the ignition switch on my Bavaria twice. A new one when I bought the car 3 years ago then another when it started having no start issues again a couple of months ago. Always started with a button between battery and starter. I installed a new one that is staring to have issues. I have to turn the key several times to engage the starter. Install a starter button between the starter and the battery and it engages so it’s not a starter problem. Is there something I’m missing?
I ready to run a start button into the car.

John

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you happen to take one of the "bad" ignition switches apart to see if there was anything obvious? Burn marks, melted plastic... It might give you a clue to the problem if it's not the switch itself.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you happen to take one of the "bad" ignition switches apart to see if there was anything obvious? Burn marks, melted plastic... It might give you a clue to the problem if it's not the switch itself.

Switch I removed looks fine on the outside. No melting or looseness. I haven’t taken it apart.
The first one I removed three years ago literally fell apart when removed.

jmackro

Reaction score
A relay would be an alternative that would be a less visible. A simple SPST relay, mounted near the starter, could be powered by the heavy-gauge wire going to the starter. Even a compromised ignition switch would probably supply the few milliamps necessary to trip a relay.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you need the short one, I have a new ignition switch from BMW

Not sure what you mean by a “short one”
I used part number 61-32-1-357-380

This is one I removed:
image.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
I have to turn the key several times to engage the starter. Install a starter button between the starter and the battery and it engages so it’s not a starter problem. Is there something I’m missing?

Two ideas:

Might the female connector at the starter solenoid be flakey? Unplugging that to clip on an remote starter switch gets around this problem, leading you to believe that the ignition switch is the issue.

Might your starter solenoid be drawing excessive current (due to an internal short, or ???) causing the "start" contacts in your ignition switches to fail prematurely?

...or maybe you just have bad luck with ignition switches and the third time will be the charm.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Understand, that is the "back" side with wiring loom, I have the front new keys/switch

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
When I have situations like this I plug the switch into the harness with out the tumbler, like in your photo, then use the key or a screwdriver to turn it. You have a much better feel for whether it's contacts that way. After that, I jump the wires on the back to see if that works. If it does it's the contacts in the switch.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I have situations like this I plug the switch into the harness with out the tumbler, like in your photo, then use the key or a screwdriver to turn it. You have a much better feel for whether it's contacts that way. After that, I jump the wires on the back to see if that works. If it does it's the contacts in the switch.

Well I pulled the ignition switch from the key/tumbler of the steering column. I actuated the switch with a screw driver and it works fine. Actuated the starter as it should. So it seems to be the key/tumbler is not turning the switch far enough to engage the starter. Key rotates fine and i can feel the little spring at the end that should actuate the starter but no go. The tumbler needs to rotate another fraction of an inch. I made sure that the switch is in the tumbler securely and not moving when the key is turned.

I suspect I need a new tumbler and key?

Seems like it could be a bear to replace.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
The slot that the tumbler fits into to turn the switch, your may just have a little slop in it from wear. you may want to try a shim, like this?
1563659755445.png

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the long version as previously stated, and a complete steering with ignition still installed with keys, also trunk and door locks

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The slot that the tumbler fits into to turn the switch, your may just have a little slop in it from wear. you may want to try a shim, like this?
View attachment 68816
Problem Solved! (I hope)
Since I had an extra ignition switch I decided to try the “shim” approach. First I tried thin gauge aluminum on one side that proved too thick. Switch would not slide all the way in to the tumbler.
Then I used an adhesive backed 3m micro-finishing film that I use for work. Installed it on both sides pretty much like your picture shows.
Switch went back in all the way and when I wired it up the car stated as it should. Took the car out for a drive. Started it several times and it fired on the first twist of the key. So for now problem seems to be solved.
Fingers crossed.

bluecs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not clear, do you have the "back part" of the ignition switch--the part that has the tumbler with wires soldered to it? Part # is 61-32-1-357-380
I have the long version as previously stated, and a complete steering with ignition still installed with keys, also trunk and door locks