Tii owner with Coupé envy

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Recently purchased a nicely restored 1972 2002tii. Problem is I really wanted an E9 but was scared away by high prices on BAT. Car was exactly as advertised with no surprises in 1,000 miles of driving here in Tucson. I’d like to sell or trade for a nice Coupe driver. Don’t have the skills or money for one needing restored. An older restoration would work. I am attaching the Classic Car ad that lead me to my purchase.
THIS IS NOT MY AD TO SELL MY TII. Hope it attaches anyway. Contact me for more history if you’re interested.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1037951/1972-bmw-2002tii-for-sale-in-tucson-arizona-85704

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Ron - beautiful tii! I love the bumper over-riders. I was in a similar situation. I was perfectly fine with buying a project (and I got one - ha ha). But I was looking for 2002's for a few years because I didn't think I could afford an e9, which is what I really wanted. I never pulled the trigger on a 2002 because of this deep seeded yearning for a coupe. Well, I got lucky and found a 3.0 CS in need that fit my appetite and budget. Now I am secretly yearning for a 2002 project to so I'll have something to work on when I finally finish the e9. :)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Ron - beautiful tii! I love the bumper over-riders. I was in a similar situation. I was perfectly fine with buying a project (and I got one - ha ha). But I was looking for 2002's for a few years because I didn't think I could afford an e9, which is what I really wanted. I never pulled the trigger on a 2002 because of this deep seeded yearning for a coupe. Well, I got lucky and found a 3.0 CS in need that fit my appetite and budget. Now I am secretly yearning for a 2002 project to so I'll have something to work on when I finally finish the e9. :)
I would keep it, drive it, enjoy it(especially the up graded AC in AZ) and wait for coupe prices to fall, as they inevitably will. Correct me guys if I am wrong but $36k for this car is a really good price for the buyer.

jmackro

Reaction score
....and wait for coupe prices to fall, as they inevitably will.

I suppose it is possible that someday, coupe prices will be below current levels. But if and when that happens, it will be in a climate of general financial panic (think 2008 -09). Will you be comfortable investing in a 50+ year old toy in that environment?

Warren Buffet is quoted as saying: “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” Simple advice, but not so easy to follow.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ron,

Nice car. I've owned 6 BMW's, but never owned a 2002. Your tii certainly looks like a neat and fun car. I too would suggest 'enjoying' it for a while, as I think excellent 2002tii's will also increase in value. Meantime, just watch for the 'right' e9 (It should be possible to sell a nice 2002tii's in a short period of time whenever you find the right e9).

Just spent the first two weeks of Feb in Flowing Wells enjoying the 'below historic average' warmth of southern AZ. Although I'd spent 4 years in Tempe in the mid 60's, I'd never spent much time in Tucson. We THOROUGHLY enjoyed our time there and there was so much to do in the area that it made every day interesting.

Good luck with your 'new to you' car, and welcome to this very helpful Forum.

Gary Knox

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ron,

Nice car. I've owned 6 BMW's, but never owned a 2002. Your tii certainly looks like a neat and fun car. I too would suggest 'enjoying' it for a while, as I think excellent 2002tii's will also increase in value. Meantime, just watch for the 'right' e9 (It should be possible to sell a nice 2002tii's in a short period of time whenever you find the right e9).

Just spent the first two weeks of Feb in Flowing Wells enjoying the 'below historic average' warmth of southern AZ. Although I'd spent 4 years in Tempe in the mid 60's, I'd never spent much time in Tucson. We THOROUGHLY enjoyed our time there and there was so much to do in the area that it made every day interesting.

Good luck with your 'new to you' car, and welcome to this very helpful Forum.

Gary Knox
Coupe prices, along with Gullwings and Porsches will fall. There will be another Great Recession, a bursting real estate bubble, a pandemic, or something else. Coupe prices will fall. Maybe not in five or ten or even twenty years. But they are like everything else, subject to market forces and changing tastes.

I agree with Dang, tii's can be more fun to drive. There are even some heretics that believe that Bavaria's are better balanced than our coupes.

And Gary is right, your tii will be a quick sell when the right Coupe comes your way.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tii's are fun and will continue to see more value than the basic 2002. face it 135 hp compared to 100 +/- makes a difference and the improved brakes, etc make it worthwhile. the issue is the FI pump ... expensive to fix. 2002's are a hoot to drive, tossable. the upgrade path is easy ... you can build a hell of a M10 ... you can put an s14 in it (if you can find one that is affordable) ... or one of the newer twin cam 4 cyl ... the 5 speed and LSD and 320i vented brakes (with tii struts). i have owned 3 - 2002's ... the first 2 were stock, the last one was radical ... and not a civilized car, but god it was fun on mountain roads.

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed hearing from site members. I do enjoy driving my tii and will for a while I’m sure. I’m not in such a hurry as to be forced to take a loss or jump into the wrong Coupé. The comments about a 2002 being for some a more fun ride remind me of when in the 80’s my son claimed my 75 2002 as his reward for graduating from college and I moved to a 530i.

lloyd

Reaction score
Having owned and driven both models in various iterations, I would remind you of an oft used expression: "The grass is always greener on the other side [of the fence]."

I always found the 02 more utilitarian and easier to drive than the E9. But the E9 is clearly more aesthetically appealing. The same comparisons can be made between mid '60s Mustangs and Corvettes. Setting product loyalty aside, when you have one, it is easy to want the other - or vice versa. Sadly, the pleasure of driving any of these cars is increasingly hampered by finding a safe place to park and avoiding the most mundane of hazards, e.g., door dings from adjoining cars and looky loo finger prints.:oops:

1973 BMW 2002 Tii   (1).jpeg

BMW 3.0 CSi E9 Coupé.jpg

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
what's the torque of a 2002 ( Tii) compared to a coupe ( 2800...3000...3500 ) divided by weight ?
Because that 's what we feel/need driving those old cars…. not HP at 6000 revs

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
what's the torque of a 2002 ( Tii) compared to a coupe ( 2800...3000...3500 ) divided by weight ?
Because that 's what we feel/need driving those old cars…. not HP at 6000 revs
It's the combination of power and handling for me. I raced a 2002 back in the day and I'm a lot more confident tossing one of those around versus a coupe. Fun to drive and high on the "cool scale". Not much left. :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i have rally'd 5 years a 2002 in the '80's.... nice car , but i do like the torque now in my coupe (M30 3.5l )
We had 160 HP in a highly tuned B10 engine … now 210 and more torque in the M30 … both with schrick & webers.

don't know to compare the handling anymore…. but my coupe today performs very well ! ( i must admit it has a dedicated/tested rally suspension , for approx 8k ) , were my 2002 just had Bilstein shocks......so no real comparison.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ron, if you're going to find a coupe, Arizona has the right climate. When you're ready to part with the tii list it here first