Tips, Tricks, inexpensive upgrades

chope97

Reaction score
Since it is Springtime and time to get out cars back on the road after not much driving this winter, how about we share some tips, tricks or inexpensive upgrades we have done to our cars that could help someone else. I will start with three
1. Rear lights, to increase output take light housing apart clean if needed and go to Home Depot and buy some duct aluminum tape it is like mirror on a roll apply over you dull reflective parts of housing and re-assemble and now you have brighter lights.
2. If you car needs a new starter you can use one from an 88 735i it is smaller, lighter and has more cranking torque.
3. If your accelerator pedal is broken at the top where it attaches to the lever replace it and your car will become instantly faster and have a greater top end speed. before I replaced mine the non attached pedal would slide against the lever before it would cause movement of the lever, going up hills was slow at beat

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Honda bulbs for rear brake lights - much brighter
Relay for starter - sends volts directly to solenoid bypassing ignition switch
AC idle bump solenoid
Low beam relay
Window relays
123 Ignition distributor (not inexpensive but well worth it)

I've documented each of these.

jefftepper

Reaction score
This thread reminded me of a similar effort in the early 1970's where a local 2002 club (BMW Owners Club with a Stanford mailing address?) published a loose leaf compilation of similarly helpful tips. Ones that come to mind are the use of a GM Gulp Valve from a Chevelle that is an exact replacement for the "official" BMW part; How to display the 10ths wheel on the trip odometer face; an auxiliary ground strap for the instrument cluster to restore the temp gauge accuracy; and many others that escape me today. Anyone here remember seeing that publication back in the day?

Bavman

Reaction score
The starter, yes the e32 735 or e34 535 small body is much easier to bolt on and much better, great tip...

Al

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Relay for starter - sends volts directly to solenoid bypassing ignition switch

I've used a Ford starter relay in the past to address heat soak issues. I don't know if I could put one on my BMW though. :D

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine's just a Hella can relay.

w1dPQaadsx4ublT8pZbNKIZmUrbCnrTaDw3fED6R8pLM8N_xXUqfRkD3n9yzfF2i6EHtoOAhHeaVKWN1sTfbl03D5VXznlYoJ3tYM2RPKi4u7zqVM5ug4mS2LGaN6cXooP848pbGSjiJvpxiXysJNib48HfyIU-prSTZdkfwUMZVwTq8UEQUSDW0Nas47Ly1WiWCJXouxl-R6Q-H_ny0eOgf_CY68XrAlNXknZBTKiWf64JqhHIw1UGL4hTvbRIgID7Hy_WcUTtU6aS96GO59NvPcoq5nfFF-wdWgUpIvx79OSI2vZkI1CQ0QxPXlIHrfDHZ5VLRUG3iqgZZD__GjjjmZEhnmZLgMkhm8j449FUOywxWFxA1fGxFxxu1eeiTKXGi5IqVdWlfARrJMhR8NoVE2deM-XxV3jNK9ZkA9F4iD45v820V_3qwwns7YqAzImuYe1HuyAjThiVtfl9PivxE3wPt6lmWQQ_H_A342Douq3Ltlkx2QEugdN2ANSQbeWWjDSnn_ODuwcA0ev715p2GK7t8YAVbAEC_hxMVOXM_SWo3Wum03Vp_W3MftK4UbPmyFtkY-gUS64TBLLnD9W73WTLS59bKflaxqnY=w1036-h777-no

I've used a Ford starter relay in the past to address heat soak issues. I don't know if I could put one on my BMW though. :D

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The starter, yes the e32 735 or e34 535 small body is much easier to bolt on and much better, great tip...

Al

In the shop we use the sr444x
Great price and planetary gears
Maybe even smaller than the m30b35 starter.
Meant for the v-12 5 liter engine...
Unforgettable sound when you crank.
$158.00 no core free shipping on last one I bought.
Or rockauto rebuilt $104.00 plus core but I don’t like shipping cores back...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/bosch,SR444X,starter+motor,4152

chope97

Reaction score
Lash caps if your cam has some worn lobes you can add some lash caps to the top of the valve stem. My 73 I purchased a year a go is a California car. It is an automatic it is slow or should I say was slow. My friend who is a retired BMW tech told me to get some lash caps for a M30. they cost about $60 he installed them just on the valve stems with the worn cam lobes. took about an hour including adjusting the valves, pretty easy to do. What a difference now my car is enjoyable to drive no more slow going up hills, the engine is less noisy too. https://www.ebay.com/p/BMW-M30-Valve-Stem-Lash-Caps-12x/1677759553?iid=302006911035&chn=ps

chope97

Reaction score

Antar

Site Donor $
Reaction score
D.C. (originally from Northern California)
Since it is Springtime and time to get out cars back on the road after not much driving this winter, how about we share some tips, tricks or inexpensive upgrades we have done to our cars that could help someone else. I will start with three
1. Rear lights, to increase output take light housing apart clean if needed and go to Home Depot and buy some duct aluminum tape it is like mirror on a roll apply over you dull reflective parts of housing and re-assemble and now you have brighter lights.
2. If you car needs a new starter you can use one from an 88 735i it is smaller, lighter and has more cranking torque.
3. If your accelerator pedal is broken at the top where it attaches to the lever replace it and your car will become instantly faster and have a greater top end speed. before I replaced mine the non attached pedal would slide against the lever before it would cause movement of the lever, going up hills was slow at beat
This one ☝️ is an good one to get started again

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve installed the Hayden 3921 14” electric pusher fan and Hayden 3647 adjustable fan controller to help with my radiator cooling issues. Works wonders Especially on hot summer days sitting in traffic. Easily fits in front of the OEM radiator.