To retrofit steering column to adjustable or stay with non-adjustable???

If you was me or if theoretically you had to buy the car - which option would you prefer?

• Total voters

Wladek

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
i am curious about your opinion - to retrofit steering column to geniune adjustable one from 74'< cars in my 72' CSI???;)
I have complete genuine e9 set to make this upgrade, but not sure if this will be value added upgrade or not necessarily if someone is looking for originality.:confused: Of course i am also keeping in mind - which option will be better for value, if one day i will be in need / have to sell the car.
Let just say - i can't keep both of the set's for myself, as i have tight budget.
Both sets are in the same condition - almost perfect / or i can make them perfect:)

PLEASE VOTE!!!

20190310_165032.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And if the change takes the blinker stock to the left side, then all the more reason to do so.

jmackro

Reaction score
I'd say that the decision should be made on the basis of what matters to YOU. If you are unusually short/tall, and won't be comfortable driving your e9 with a non-adjustable column, then make the modification. On the other hand, I have found that there is no such thing as a bolt-in modification; for example, if this mod puts the turn signal on the LH side, then you'll have to mess with the wiring. So if you are average-sized, just stick with the stock column.

I wouldn't expect a steering column swap to reduce resale price, as e9 buyers aren't that hung up on originality, particularly when modifications use BMW, period-correct (or almost so) parts (e.g., 3.5L engines, 5-speed transmissions). It would be a different issue if you were considering a GM steering column.

As an aside, I like having my turn signal on the right; it's one of the charms of early e9's.

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
To be true i am more for adjustable column - i think it's better to have an option, than none.
I am 193cm tall & my seats will be Scheel's 200
Wiring is not a problem as i have both versions.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fore and aft adjustments only with no up/down tilt. The directional stalk is still on the right on my 74 steering column. This 74 setup on my coupe was fitted by the previous owner.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
swapping the column is a major PITA. the PO changed my 71 to an adjustable column and i am happy with that, but honestly i would be just as happy with stock. the one piece you will need if you decide to make this switch ... that is not in your photo is the underdash panel. its very different. in honesty there is one more different piece but i'm not sure that it makes a difference. the '74 has a one piece trim on the grab rail. my coupe has the 2 piece. my turn signal switch is still on the right side of the column.

originality? its kind of like a 5 speed in an e9. that makes a huge difference in driving - but it isn't really noticeable. the adjustable column MIGHT make a difference but it is noticeable if you are familiar with the cars.

you should make the decision based on what is best for you. have you driven a '74? and did it really feel better?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've had both adjustable and fixed steering columns. I like the adjustable on my '74, but as stated above, retrofit would be a lot of work (and I didn't miss what I didn't have or know about on my '73!). To me, the biggest advantage of the later setups is the directional signal on the left side, and windshield wiper stalk on the right.

I'll be interested in knowing your final decision!

Gary

Wladek

Reaction score
Thank you Guys for your input!:)
is your current set up uncomfortable?
I don't know - my whole car is in boxes:D
the one piece you will need if you decide to make this switch ... that is not in your photo is the underdash panel. its very different. in honesty there is one more different piece but i'm not sure that it makes a difference. the '74 has a one piece trim on the grab rail. my coupe has the 2 piece. my turn signal switch is still on the right side of the column.

originality? its kind of like a 5 speed in an e9. that makes a huge difference in driving - but it isn't really noticeable. the adjustable column MIGHT make a difference but it is noticeable if you are familiar with the cars.
I have it, just didn't put it on previous photo, i also have one/single piece aluminium/chrome trim.
I've had both adjustable and fixed steering columns. I like the adjustable on my '74, but as stated above, retrofit would be a lot of work (and I didn't miss what I didn't have or know about on my '73!). To me, the biggest advantage of the later setups is the directional signal on the left side, and windshield wiper stalk on the right.
I'll be interested in knowing your final decision!
Gary
It's not a problem for me, because car now is fully stripped & waiting for complete body work. After that, it will be no difference which set to mount;)
For about 70% i am for adjustable.
20190311_122145.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Once I get my wheel into position it stays there and I don't adjust it so it seems allot of work for nothing- or almost nothing...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if the car is already apart ... its not such a PITA. putting a steering column in isn't fun no matter what you are doing. i agree with Peter, once you have it set, you never change it. that's why i asked if you were uncomfortable in a stock coupe.

To me, the biggest advantage of the later setups is the directional signal on the left side, and windshield wiper stalk on the right.

Gary
the good news is if you don't mind rewiring the connections on your car (or adding separate connectors) you can swap the turn signal on any coupe. i have both sets of switches and am thinking of making the change.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Non-adjustable. Make driver adjust to conditions.

The turn signal should be on the right, if you move it to the left some day an E9 mechanic or friend you let drive your car will try to use it on the right and break whatever stalk you have on the right.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
or be like every other driver ... don't use the turn signal as you don't want to tip your hand about what you are getting ready to do ...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the "charm" of the turn signal on the right.
I agree, although my wife seems to think this is some sort of distortion of automotive reality that would prohibit anyone from driving a coupe with the original right stalk orientation. For me, it seems pretty easy and quick to adapt - just one more thing that is special about the car. Add to that the dogleg gear pattern, and it becomes an out of body experience. ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, although my wife seems to think this is some sort of distortion of automotive reality that would prohibit anyone from driving a coupe with the original right stalk orientation. For me, it seems pretty easy and quick to adapt - just one more thing that is special about the car. Add to that the dogleg gear pattern, and it becomes an out of body experience. ;)
its kind of like driving a porsche ... you have to get used to putting the key in on the left side. a little unconventional, but you get used to it. i drove a 73 bavaria everyday for 6 years and it never bothered me.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's so ingrained in me now that I don't consciously think about it - in coupe, right side. Other cars, left.