To take out the instrument panel do I just....

norm

Reaction score
have to unscrew the plastic retainers? How many of them are there? Is this an easy job? The reason I ask, is because my tach only goes up to 2500 rpms and I have a replacement. Or maybe a wire is just loose. Any info would be helpful.

Norm

shanon

Reaction score
hi norm,

if i understand your post (replacing tach), there' is a sequence to remove the gauges w/o removing the gauge pod.

if like the e9, there are 2 holding screws @ at 1 & 7 o'clock. remove the fuel gauge first to get better access to the speedo, then to the tach.

a major PITA and HTH!

-shanon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speedo removal is the pain. If you need to remove the tacho, I would just remove the clock (easy) and then the tacho.

andrey

Reaction score
on an E9 you remove the long metal strip that runs along the dash (it just pops out) and then you can remove the 'lip' part. Then you undo the nuts holding the instrument panel 'hood' in place (from below) and gently lift the 'hood' a little, then you undo the retaining nuts (I think there are only two) from the back of the instrument panel, and then you slide the panel out. On the 2000CS the 'lip' part is different, so I am not sure what you're supposed to do. I'd start by finding the nuts for the 'hood' and getting the panel to slide a little, then you can at least remove the instrument you're replacing more easily.