Tool fabrication...camshaft turning tool for valve adjustment

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It has been discussed several times as how to turn the camshaft to be able to put the valves sequentially in position in order to perform valve gap adjustment

You can try to turn the crankshaft, but if the radiator is in place it will not be easy

Bmw developed an spezialwerkzeuge but it is difficult to find and it can be improved IMHO

I plan to design and build a tool for the purpose

Is there any interest, so I would make several instead of only one?

Last edited:

Jon B

Reaction score
It has been discussed several times as how to turn the camshaft to be able to put the valves sequentially in position in order to perform valve gap adjustment...

Bmw developed an spezialwerkzeuge but it is difficult to find and it can be improved IMHO...

These are the tools I've been using.

DSCN4206.JPG

DSCN4207.JPG

When BMW changed their tool numbers, 7008-1 became 11 3 100. This was for two-row timing chains.
For single row timing chains, the tool number is 11 3 110.
The adjustment tool with the knurled center is 11 3 070.

The lever tools have been reproduced for some time. Here are the BAUM versions...

Jon B

Reaction score
When BMW changed their tool numbers, 7008-1 became 11 3 100. This was for two-row timing chains.
For single row timing chains, the tool number is 11 3 110.
The adjustment tool with the knurled center is 11 3 070.

Here are the tools, with updated numbers, in an E24 manual.
The turning lever here is for single row timing chains, and the adjustment tool has the knurled center grip...

DSCN4208.JPG

Jon B

Reaction score
deQuincey, here are illustrations of the genuine BMW tools, on Spezialwerkzeuge-Mikrofilm. The two tools are quite different.
Unfortunately I'm taking these photos through a hand-held viewer, so the text is not clear, but better images are out there.

For tool 11 3 110, items 4 and 5 are for 6-cyl engines, items 2 and 3 are for 4-cyl engines.
This illustration does not show a small knob on the claw, as seen on the E24 and BAUM tools, so I suspect the design evolved over time.

I think you can see from the BAUM image and illustration that this tool, for single row chains, will not be simple to duplicate...

DSCN4246.JPG

Tool 11 3 100 (7008-1) for two-row timing chains...
DSCN4247.JPG

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't want to thwart deQuincey's efforts on this project, but we (2002s Only) have been working on a slightly different approach to providing this tool for some time now. Our goal was to develop a manufacturing process that would result in a top quality "tool steel" product at an affordable price for all M10/M30 owners. We are very close to lining up all the parts vendors/processors to make this available this summer. Supply chain issues and some questions about the exact dimensions have slowed us down a little bit but I think I will have those resolved shortly. Once we are certain we can create a quality double row tool at a reasonable price, we move ahead with our plans to create the single row tool.
I applaud deQuincey's work on making a few of these for the community and, in fact, everyone's efforts in the community to help keep these wúnderbar machines on the road! At 2002s Only we have to assume a more universal perspective because of our international audience, our reputation, and, of course, liability issues. So we always have to take our time in producing and announcing products.
Speaking of announcing products, we have already created designs to make the Getrag 265 shift tower. We are in the testing stage but hope to have them available soon. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Combined.png
    Combined.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 109

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
deQuincey, here are illustrations of the genuine BMW tools, on Spezialwerkzeuge-Mikrofilm. The two tools are quite different.
Unfortunately I'm taking these photos through a hand-held viewer, so the text is not clear, but better images are out there.

For tool 11 3 110, items 4 and 5 are for 6-cyl engines, items 2 and 3 are for 4-cyl engines.
This illustration does not show a small knob on the claw, as seen on the E24 and BAUM tools, so I suspect the design evolved over time.

I think you can see from the BAUM image and illustration that this tool, for single row chains, will not be simple to duplicate...

View attachment 143881

View attachment 143882

thank you

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

View attachment 143881

View attachment 143882

thank you

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just a quick update on the tools. We have a finalized design and should begin cutting in a few weeks. (The handle on the timing chain tool will actually be knurled not twisted as in the 3D printed part) I have also found a vendor who will do hardening of small batches of parts so that the tools will be the same steel quality as the German originals. My designer thinks we can also produce the eccentric rotating tool with a little ingenuity. Here are some 3D prototype photos.

Attachments

• 20220729_140408.jpg
    20220729_140408.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220729_140443.jpg
    20220729_140443.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 94

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hal that looks great.

Is it designed to be able to overcome compression without brute force and effort? Looks like the plugs are out on your video.