Trunk/boot new seal

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
I’m redoing my trunk and it’s time for the rubber seal.
It’s been in the plastic bag it came in a few years ago.
In the pic you can see it’s a bit to small.
Anyone know the trick to getting it set ?

EC7EA18E-1597-413C-B7BB-9A46B2978FB9.jpeg
688A822D-5D52-4706-8949-7BB8B518FBE6.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try holding it in place with some light spring clamps (don't let the clamps distort the profile too much. After a few days it should 'relax' a bit. Or, glue it in place with trim adhesive, using some tape or marks so you know how much to stretch it as you put it into place.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's normal. But you must try to stretch the entire length evenly, don't just start pulling at the last 2 feet that miss an inch.

Mark the center of the boot, front and back(long sides), and the center of the sides (short side) , basically dividing them up in quarts. Then mark the rubber accordingly, find a suitable way to do it : wooden plate with 4 nails to make a perfect square, measure with tape, or any other way you prefer. Make 4 marks on the rubber, with equal distance.

Then go and install. Line up one mark with the center mark on the long back side. Clamp it, then stretch to one side to get the second mark (clamp) on the short side and go to the other short side with the third mark; clamp. half of the rubber is now in place, and it's stretched evenly. lining up the forth will finish it off.

as the lip on the body is ot very pronounced, it may slip off occasionally. Clamps and glue are you're friend.

BTW; what are the 2 rubber grommets on the right rear wheel arch? US environmental equipment attachment ?
I haven't noticed them ever before...

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
@eriknetherlands thanks for your thoughts, I have a sheet of plywood that I can use.

The two big holes were for a retro fit AC unit compressor hoses ran from the engine under the rail frame into the trunk. Crazy
The car is Italian delivery and I was told they put it in. There was a sheet metal box in the trunk that had a fan over a small cooler radiator. First thing I pulled out of the car.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Careful if you use heat. I tried that with a rubber gasket for a mirror, it shrunk about 20%. Ended up buying a new one.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What about soaking in wintergreen oil and alcohol mixture? That works with rubber - not sure what this seal is made of.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wintergreen oil trick is for softening hardened rubber bits. That seal looks find and just needs some gasket yoga.
Follow Erik's instructions and be happy.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wintergreen oil trick is for softening hardened rubber bits.
True. But I've seen it expand some rubber bits as well. Was thinking that it might help to "grow" the seal. Perhaps it only expands rubber parts that have previously shrunk. And that would be a lot of part to try to soak, anyway.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, use it for a tug-o-war at the family picnic. Bam! Problem solved.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would leave it and see if it stays. You can always glue it later but it's hard to un-glue it.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I installed mine I only applied a small bit of adhesive at the 4 corners. It has stayed in place fine and allows me to lift up sections of the seal to make sure the metal gutter is dry after washings.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't glue it. Glue is only needed to keep it in place if it wouldn't by itself. But if it is staying in place then what purpose has it?
Doing it without glue makes for perfect cleaning possibilities: simply pull the rubber to clean.

Polish the h*ell out of that gutter, and shine your boot..

Tim Schoon

Reaction score
We glued the 4 comers as well. we used this glue called "worth profil-gummikleber" see photo attached. This is probably one of the best glues for seals.

Attachments

• glue.jpg
    glue.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 163