Trunk (boot) rebuild

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-skinning my trunk and I am struggling with the little rhino-skin covered bar location. When I got the car most of the trunk pieces were haphazardly thrown in the trunk and it was a complete mess. My ETK parts database in useless, in fact it doesn't even seem to have this part listed at all.

Can anyone tell me the proper location for the bar shown in this photo? I sort of thought it was a levelling device for the spare tire cover panel but the photo seems to contradict this. If the photo is correct then what is the purpose of this part? Is it just a bar to block things from rolling off the edge of the cover and and falling into a pile of rust?

DSC_5331.jpg

On a somewhat related note, any recommendations for a suitable replacement for the multi-layer cardboard used to fabricate the stiffening underlay for the cover on the rear of the trunk? I am considering using Masonite or a few layers of photo matting board glued together.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-skinning my trunk and I am struggling with the little rhino-skin covered bar location. When I got the car most of the trunk pieces were haphazardly thrown in the trunk and it was a complete mess. My ETK parts database in useless, in fact it doesn't even seem to have this part listed at all.

Can anyone tell me the proper location for the bar shown in this photo? I sort of thought it was a levelling device for the spare tire cover panel but the photo seems to contradict this. If the photo is correct then what is the purpose of this part? Is it just a bar to block things from rolling off the edge of the cover and and falling into a pile of rust?

DSC_5331.jpg

On a somewhat related note, any recommendations for a suitable replacement for the multi-layer cardboard used to fabricate the stiffening underlay for the cover on the rear of the trunk? I am considering using Masonite or a few layers of photo matting board glued together.

84E24

Reaction score
Trunk

I have several pic's of other trunks and I see it 3 different ways.
1) no bar 2) bar all the way to the fender 3) and even with
the wheel well trim. Even my 73 sales lit does not show it.

So it would seem, any way you woul like or take a general poll
of how everyones look.

Nice pic John, lol

84E24

Reaction score
Trunk

I have several pic's of other trunks and I see it 3 different ways.
1) no bar 2) bar all the way to the fender 3) and even with
the wheel well trim. Even my 73 sales lit does not show it.

So it would seem, any way you woul like or take a general poll
of how everyones look.

Nice pic John, lol

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

This is the correct position.
I put myself all the tools for changing e wheel .
rgds.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
hello

This is the correct position.
I put myself all the tools for changing e wheel .
rgds.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks!

I still question the purpose but nonetheless I will install it. Maybe it is designed to keep pencils from rolling off the side and falling behind the jack?! Maybe it is part of the rust acceleration program and intended to help trap water and moisture behind the rear rocker panel. Or maybe it could also be used to create a little compartment for one of the European reflective hazard triangle.... :p

Does anyone know if it just sits there or if it is supposed to be afixed to the cover in some way? There don't seem to be any screws shown in the diagram.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks!

I still question the purpose but nonetheless I will install it. Maybe it is designed to keep pencils from rolling off the side and falling behind the jack?! Maybe it is part of the rust acceleration program and intended to help trap water and moisture behind the rear rocker panel. Or maybe it could also be used to create a little compartment for one of the European reflective hazard triangle.... :p

Does anyone know if it just sits there or if it is supposed to be afixed to the cover in some way? There don't seem to be any screws shown in the diagram.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
A far as I remenber, it IS screwed.

I'll check on mine this week-end.
Concerning the use, it seems it is just the width of an old 2 liters oil can (?)
rgds

D-jetronic

Reaction score
A far as I remenber, it IS screwed.

I'll check on mine this week-end.
Concerning the use, it seems it is just the width of an old 2 liters oil can (?)
rgds

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Thanks, - I just removed the the old (filthy) vinyl and found the screw holes. I guess this also explains the cut out in the re-pro carpet!

Why would a coupe need to carry oil? 8)

Maybe I should adjust the spacing to for cans of POR-15! :oops:

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Thanks, - I just removed the the old (filthy) vinyl and found the screw holes. I guess this also explains the cut out in the re-pro carpet!

Why would a coupe need to carry oil? 8)

Maybe I should adjust the spacing to for cans of POR-15! :oops:

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Why would a coupe need to carry oil?

You must be joking !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't tell me you never heard about the oil-consumer reputation of the old BMW engines !!!!!

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Why would a coupe need to carry oil?

You must be joking !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't tell me you never heard about the oil-consumer reputation of the old BMW engines !!!!!

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rhino/Elephant skin source

Heya,
The trunk looks great! Where did you get the fabric for re-do?
Regards,
Kingman

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rhino/Elephant skin source

Heya,
The trunk looks great! Where did you get the fabric for re-do?
Regards,
Kingman