Trunk Roundel Gasket

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am thinking about having a batch of gaskets made to fit under the trunk roundel for those who have the original three piece unit.

Would anyone be interested in these; I am guessing the cost will be around $25 each?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i remember buying one of these a while back. i need to find it ... i know i have a used one lying around.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Scott - I have a used one that I am planning to send to a die cutter to use as a pattern. Given that they are not perfectly round, I would not attempt this without a pattern.

From talking with the die cutter I found, they believe that they can make something like a CAD drawing from the used part. They make automotive parts (for the Corvette guys) and seemed knowledgeable about using an appropriate material for a part exposed to the elements.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought they were originally black and the graying was due to age.

Chris -- is black a no-go?

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Years ago, I had w/wiper and door handle gaskets made for some Jags. The die is called a steel rule die and at that time cost me $35 for each different gasket die. Unless a very complex shape is needed it is a no brainer to make the die and toto stamp out flat gaskets and should be a fair price. I also had some complex rubber pieces made for E24s that had to be extruded. That was done, at a reasonable price by Karr Rubber supply in El Segundo. He was an old guy and whether or not he is still there, I don't know.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the new one that i have (somewhere) is gray. the old one that i have from a 2800cs is also gray. they are both smaller than the trim base.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i recall some NOS in a box somewhere
the gasket is light grey and it is not flat, it has a 2mm lip to let the emblem fit and thus the lip protrudes from surface
if you reproduce this make sure to make the lip otherwise gasket will dissapear under emblem here and there or it will be ridiculously large

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The one I have is gray as well, for some reason I had thought it was faded. I will explore a color match and see (1) if that is possible and (2) what it may cost. My view is that flat black is not a bad alternative, but I have numerous black accents on my car, and while I love her madly, Annabelle is not going to win best of show against many of the other cars here.

As to sizing, my thought was that the gasket needed to be larger than the base for the Roundel, roughly 2mm as DeQ notes. (I am working with the original BMW base which is a separate part from the Roundel itself. Perhaps the sizing on the integrated replacement part that BMW is now selling is a slightly different size?) On the other hand, I had thought that the "lip" arose because the base caused a depression in the gasket when it was tightened down during installation. I did not explore the possibility of having a raised lip incorporated into the design; I am guessing a simple die cut process would not allow for this. What do folks think about the flat v. lip issue?

Bert -- are you saying I am way off on the pricing? The vendor estimated $125 in setup, and $125 to run 20 of them (20 was a SWAG). I added in taxes and shipping to me and rounded to $25.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original has a lip and I fear it may shrink over time so that is why it is needed. The current replacement was from another model and did not fit. I think grey would look best too, it will blend with the chrome.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i know that the new one i bought a few years ago was also small ... i was thinking it had to be heated and stretched to get it to fit ... but that seemed problematic to get it to stay in place.