Trunk skin

84E24

Reaction score
Re-doing the the trunk and need to know if the
skin was orginally glued to the inside of the
rear fenders or was there panels there? or
was there any skin on them at all or just painted?

I can't find any pic's of how they were shipped
from the factory.

Thanks,

PaulinPa

Reaction score
There were formed, thin,fragile plastic panels glued to the sides of the wheel humps in the trunk.They were on both inside and outside of hump and joined at the seam by a white, metal reinforced vinyl u-shaped strip.There might be pictures of a trunk interior in the Gallery section and cars that are on E-bay usually have trunk interior pics.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Trunk interior

The insides of the rear quarter panels were covered by "elephant skin" pieces which were glued on with something like contact cement.

The parts PaulinPa mentions which cover the rear shock towers I had long thought to be NLA, but they are available now. Look here:
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-onlin...el=3435&mospid=47811&btnr=51_3467&hg=51&fg=65
parts 1 & 2.
The new parts seem to be a softer, more flexible plastic than the originals. I have not tried them for fit yet though.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Bill
how is the texture and color of the replacements?
Let us know about the fit when you install them.
Would be a great "tech info". And I personally would like to have info, and recommendations. Another piece I would like to re-pair.
Oh, does the list ever end?
steve

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Plastic wheel arch covers were not originally "glued&qu

place--they were partially underlaid with thin foam to isolate those hard plastic covers from the wheel well arches--luggage, junk in the trunk and spare parts have taken their toll on many of the original pieces--

Blumax still has his originals intact and in excellent condition--albeit I did remove the thin foam backing--then used adhesive backed aluminum tape on the underside to strengthen its structural integrity--it has worked now for the past 16 years since said treatment--just one hairline crack that has been stopped by this treatment.

HTH