Trying to find info on my csi

bryson

Reaction score
I bought this car awhile ago from someone who had very little info on it. I tried tracing the line of owners, only to find out that the car had been sold from a man's estate (the one who did all the work). From what I can gather, the car had been stripped down to nothing and repainted, and the engine had been built and mated to the close ratio CSL transmission. I have a paper from 1997 from the man selling the car for his friend's father's estate (and asking 20,000 :shock: ). The specifications given to me were:

Single turbocharger with water/air intercooler
Cylinder head rebuilt by Quicksilver with lightweight, heavy-duty valve springs
Schrick camshaft
Carillo connecting rods
Balanced engine
Custom exhaust system
Suspension Technics sway bars and bushings, coil springs
Bilstein sport shock absorbers
Roll cage
"CSL" close ratio 5 speed transmission
Custom heavy duty driveshaft

The turbocharger hadn't been installed yet, and the car was in the process of being restored. It's a 1974 3.0CSi. Does this car ring a bell for anyone? I would like to find out some more info without tearing down the engine. I'll try to get a picture of the intake manifold -- it looks to be a custom cast part, so I imagine it may be a distinguishing feature. Thanks!

bryson

Reaction score
I will -- I'm heading up to the shop in a bit. I am most interested to know stuff such as the displacement and compression ratio, as well as cam specs. I searched for a Schrick cam for the 3.0csi online, but couldn't come up with anything. I couldn't find anything about Quicksilver cylinder heads either -- only exhausts.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Somebody sunk some serious cash into that car; it sounds like it will be a screamer. You have to get an engine bay picture for everyone to see. :)

bryson

Reaction score
I'll post one up, but don't get too excited :lol: There's still a whole lot of cleaning up to be done. It looks like the guy died in the middle of the resoration, and in order to get the car sold a lot of stuff was just thrown together in order to make the car run on it's own power.

corsachili

Reaction score
Curious what a "close ratio" CSL transmission is. Perhaps you're referring to the later dogleg pattern 5spd? As far as I'm aware, CSLs had the same 4spd gearbox as every other CS/CSi.

bryson

Reaction score
I believe it is a dogleg (if by that, you mean first is where you would expect to find second). It's tough to find the gears in the car sometimes. I think you have to pull up or push down on the shifter, though I don't remember which. I took a few pictures today; my buddy is supposed to email them to me tonight (I used his camera). The car is in Charleston, SC, if that rings a bell for anyone.

Malc

Reaction score
It could be a later dog-leg box, ie 1st and reverse are in the same plane

R 2 4
| | |
----- <-Sort of bad drawing!
| | |
1 3 5

and you have to push (RHD) or pull (LHD) it quite hard to get it in the R - 1 plane, and yes I agree it's a bit of a bugg*r when your used to the "standard" 5 speed box pattern fitted to most cars....

Malc

bryson

Reaction score
Here are a few pictrues -- sorry for the poor lighting.

The car:
[Broken External Image]:http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1857/carparts40088yc.jpg

The interior (my attempt at showing the roll cage):
[Broken External Image]:http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1412/carparts40122ue.jpg

The engine:
[Broken External Image]:http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5918/carparts40182iq.jpg
[Broken External Image]:http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6653/carparts40151wp.jpg

The transmission also seems very loud. I may pull it to check the TOB and clutch. There is a tag on it that says "Getrag," then a model number (I think -- it's a metal tag though). I'll post up what it says, or possibly a picture.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
your CSi with Bilstein Sport shocks

There is a valid cautionary as to the use of Bilstein Sport shocks on any CS/CSi/CSL.

Unless someone has done a lot of reinforcement--especially in the vulnerable rear upper shock mounts the use of sport shocks has proven to be detrimental to durability of this less than strong mount as it came from the factory. Coupe folks with years of CS experience--Carl Nelson, Peter S., etc have all recommended Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks for front and rear--but not the Sport version--and the ride is VERY harsh--read uncomfortable--with Sport Shocks. FWIW