Tundra Green 72 3.0 CS - no reserve auction

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice color. Current bid is a mere $78. The car seems very rough, but may have some available parts. Or maybe even a saver for a skilled owner? I'll be curious to see where this lands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BMW-3-...ash=item3aebee66cf:g:RS4AAOSwwn9ZeijI&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn I was just out bid. $100 was my high water mark. I figured I'd need $1,000 to tow it home and another $2,000 in apology flowers for my wife.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I kicked it up a few dollars from your high bidder though I didn't top his bid. My bidding list is so much shorter than my watching list. It will be interesting to see where it ends up, it's pretty rough. But I could fix it, if it sells for a low enough price.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would imagine that there might be 1000 worth of parts on the car ... but a lot of work to get to them

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm not sure i would go that far Stan ... a lot of the pieces look pretty marginal. the bumpers, belt trim, front grilles and rear chrome panel look decent. body panels mostly look iffy.

scottd

Reaction score
Ummm.... Someone thinks like Stan. It's $6600 now. Aren't the tail lights, bumpers, wheels and clamshell pretty pricey these days?

Scott

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ummm.... Someone thinks like Stan. It's $6600 now. Aren't the tail lights, bumpers, wheels and clamshell pretty pricey these days?

Scott

It's not all that hard to squeeze every last drop out of a parts car if you are willing. It's a lot of work but just about everything on the car is worth something.

The interior looks like it was originally red. It makes me second guess that Tundra is the original color. It used to be easy to validate with the VIN but I won't bother the BMW archivists these days.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I always wonder when I see these how a car that was once so beautiful and desirable can be left to deteriorate to such a condition. Wow that trunk and hood look very crusty. Will be interesting to see where it ends up nonetheless.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems that the "reasonable" parts value has now been exceeded by some aggressive bidding. I remain a fan of saving these cars (even crusty ones). For me, it becomes a balance (or is it a struggle) between the amount of metal work to make it solid again, and the completeness of parts you have to start with. When the car needs a lot from both categories, the road gets mighty long. But is it insurmountable...?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Argh - I guess that's an option too. Do they ever actually sell the overpriced (sorry, top dollar) crusty cars they list? I had a very one dimensional conversation with a sales person over there once about a car they were listing as a 3.0CS, but the VIN was from a 2800CS. I thought I was helping them out by informing them of a listing error, but they didn't seem to care. I guess my question is, who is the client/buyer that over pays for a car that may not even be what it is listed as? Someone with a lot more spare cash than me, I guess. ;)

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I suppose they must sell those pigs at some point or they would be out of business. It's not uncommon to see cars in poor condition listed for more than they are worth, look at almost any used car lot in any city. Uneducated buyers abound.

I was helping a friend buy a daily driver just after having moved to Austin myself and had a hard time finding a quality Previa to buy for myself, and the task of finding him a clean car for a reasonable price wasn't any easier. Shoddy or nonexistent maintenance that was obvious to me at a glance would be overlooked by a majority of buyers. Or I'm sure that's what the lot owners would hope. They certainly didn't seem too concerned about the flaws I pointed out. Private sales are the only way to go.

BHCC deals with collectable cars, ones that have curb appeal and collector status and I suppose some people don't like the hunt for that right car. I have bought cars in worse shape than some of the BHCC cars, but I paid very little for them, allowing me to buy the parts and invest the time needed to get them on the road. Paying their 'finder's fee' via their high prices and then having to restore the cars is just nuts. But for the check book restoration crowd, it's a way of getting the car that they want. For some, paying a lot for something just gives them something else to brag about.

Ian

Last edited: