Turkis on BAT

ajwicks

Reaction score
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-3-0cs-24/

IMG_20170129_180835_098.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I very much agree with you Chuck ... this is going to be a fun one to watch. no a/c + vinyl seats ... but a great color in what seems to be (at a quick look) a very nice coupe.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow!
As we used to say:”Turkis is a complexion that makes a connection”

Wonder how much this color will add to the final result?

I think it’s at least worth 10% to the right person.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks nice, but not liking that weather stripping on the front fender seams. Also, why the cracks near the strut tower stud/nut?

1973_bmw_3-0cs_15542707359f98764daIMG_20190401_1719450.jpg

Not enough pics of the underside IMHO.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just took a stab at merging 4 excited threads into one. The first 8 posts might read a little silly but I didn't want anyone to lose anything. @scottevest I deleted your thread without moving the post since you already replied to this one.

Willem Tell

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also, why the cracks near the strut tower stud/nut?

Very good question... almost like somebody spread a layer of butter over toast (and i'm not even touching those wrinkle-filler cosmetics)...;)
There's normally a lot of structural joins there.
Mine does not have the isolation panels stuck n it, but I like it that way.
O'zaal Beauty Shots  (36).jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
notice the difference in the color between these 2 coupes ... William's is a bit more green of a turquoise and the one for sale is more blue. might just be the lighting. i also notice the cracking of the paint at the strut tops, i was guessing that the filler on top of the inner fenders cracked due to the loading of the suspension. doesn't look to be a real issue, just a visual nuisance. its a pretty car ... its gone up by 7500 in a few hours. i am guessing that the color is going to push it up above $85k.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since it was painted over 20 years ago by a prior owner it looks to have held up well, just wish the PO had masked the engine bay, see the wiper motor and other areas. I agree the buttered strut tops could be a concern and I hope the battery has a chassis ground somewhere, not just to the motor. It should do well.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the car. My advice to the owner before listing was to pay $500 - $1,000 and get a pro / semi-pro photo shoot. He has some pics from the Petrolicous article but he went with smart phone pics in the driveway for the rest. Even so, the color is garnering so much positive attention.

In my opinion, they key to a successful BaT auction is to generate lust, which in turn fosters impulsive buying habits. I obviously don’t have the data to back it up, but for certain cars in certain colors, I would seriously put a $10K+ ROI on a pro photo shoot.

I referenced this ugly duckling turned swan:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-bmw-2000cs-7/

My private guess on the Riviera highwater a was low by $20K. I put a premium on the rarity of the color that I don’t think panned out. I also think that the pictures didn’t showcase the car well at all. Since Turkis is metallic, you can put little into the photography and still have them look ok.

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks nice, but not liking that weather stripping on the front fender seams. Also, why the cracks near the strut tower stud/nut?

1973_bmw_3-0cs_15542707359f98764daIMG_20190401_1719450.jpg

Not enough pics of the underside IMHO.
I Am guessing the cracks are bondo filler underneath when they last painted the car and wanted to fill the pitted rust spots caused by the insulation material ! Nonetheless it can be an alarming photo!
Beautiful car indeed! Not enough photos of typical rust spots!

Cheers and best of luck to the seller !

Tony P.