Turn Signal/Hazard Relay

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've tried 2 used OE relays. Mine looks like this...

IMG_4310.jpeg

They will both flash all 4 lights when the hazard button is out. They will both flash the correct front and rear lights when the turn signal stalk is moved either right or left.

However, #1 turns the dash indicator light on solid (no blink) as soon as the key is turned on. It stays that way when the turn signal arm is moved and flashing the proper exterior lights or in the neutral position. #2 will blink the dash indicator a couple of times when the turn signal arm is moved then no blink even though the exterior lights are blinking just fine.

I just hate to pay $100-200 for a new OE relay. (It's an E3, not an E9 ;) )

Has anyone tried the NAPA EL-13 Electronic Flasher Upgrade? It looks like it gets somewhat mixed reviews, but maybe worth $10 to try?

jmackro

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the NAPA EL-13 Electronic Flasher Upgrade? It looks like it gets somewhat mixed reviews, but maybe worth $10 to try?

I have been using an EL13 (I have the Carquest equivalent, the FSH7312) in my e9 for the past 10 or so years. Works great! My old flasher worked like your #2; the dash indicator would flash once and then stop. The electronic flashers are quite reliable and will tolerate variations in bulb wattage, resistance caused by socket oxidation, etc. I see no reason to use the old, mechanical flasher. They are sort of like tube-type tires or single viscosity oil - they worked OK back when, but are outdated technology today.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just did this "upgrade" for 11 bucks for my E9 and going to do this for my E3 which I just got out of storage today. Get yourself one of these H4 extensions and crack open the male pin end to free up the male pins. Follow the post you found.

1589641689192.png

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Question; is your car running when trying the hazards and turn signals?
Same symptoms if the key is on the first (accessory) position, on the ignition on position, or with the car running.

I have been using an EL13 (I have the Carquest equivalent, the FSH7312) in my e9 for the past 10 or so years. Works great! My old flasher worked like your #2; the dash indicator would flash once and then stop. The electronic flashers are quite reliable and will tolerate variations in bulb wattage, resistance caused by socket oxidation, etc. I see no reason to use the old, mechanical flasher. They are sort of like tube-type tires or single viscosity oil - they worked OK back when, but are outdated technology today.
Thanks!

I just did this "upgrade" for 11 bucks for my E9 and going to do this for my E3 which I just got out of storage today. Get yourself one of these H4 extensions and crack open the male pin end to free up the male pins. Follow the post you found.
Great tip on the headlight connector extension!
(and congrats on getting the E3 out of storage)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Where did you get your alternator?
Every where I looked the ones offered needed a wiring change. Even Mesa did not have one that was plug and play wiring. Not that the wiring change would be difficult. It was to essentially bypass the stock VR since the alternators offered were internally regulated. These alternators were all over $200

As a last resort, I brought my alternator into my local auto electric store. They looked up their inventory and said they had one on the shelf $105 or the same price to rebuild mine. :)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought the EL-13 today from my local NAPA. It was less expensive at the store than on line or from eBay.

I hooked it up temporarily while waiting for one of these (thanks again for the tip, Bob)...

s-l500.jpg

Works perfect!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Boy, you get on stuff asap, remind me of myself! This is one of those massively gratifying things.