Twin-Turbocharged 1972 BMW 3.0CS 5-Speed (NMNA)

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
new listing on BaT. There is a lot to like here (paint, dash, interior), but missing critical pictures of the floors, trunk floors and under-dash. I think that twin turbo excitement is fueling the early bidding which is very strong.

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks like he bought it for 86k in The Before Times and it was already modified. Don't imagine it would do any worse?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very passive seller and many unanswered questions on the turbos.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seller is getting skewered for the poor driving video. I can't say I blame the crowd in this particular case as the car is quite unique and the video has several big misses IMHO. First off, it looks/sounds like he starts in 2nd gear. Have no idea why, but it's not a great look. He poodles along without getting into any boost whatsoever. The whistle of twin screws is intoxicating and could have a material effect here. On top of those "issues" the seller hasn't answered any number of valid questions posed by seemingly interested parties and appears to be just sitting back and letting the auction run its course. Perhaps a case of him telling the wife "I tried to sell it but had no serious buyers!"

@HB Chris - He's not doing himself any favors if he really wants to get some level of return on his investment. Is he seriously trying to sell it?

shanon

Reaction score
So...regarding the 5spd (starting in 2nd gear) comments...could this have a C/R dogleg tranny?
As someone has new 'enhanced' power and a C/R box, my builder suggested that I go easy on my C/R box ("No drag race launches until the bearings are replaced").

Maybe the seller is in a similar situation and going easy on it. I wouldn't wanna bust it while trying to sell it...

Just a thought....GLWS!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So...regarding the 5spd (starting in 2nd gear) comments...could this have a C/R dogleg tranny?
As someone has new 'enhanced' power and a C/R box, my builder suggested that I go easy on my C/R box ("No drag race launches until the bearings are replaced").

Maybe the seller is in a similar situation and going easy on it. I wouldn't wanna bust it while trying to sell it...

Just a thought....GLWS!
I thought about that but it seems the rpm’s don’t indicate a CR?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Just a thought....GLWS!
The listing says it is a ZF transmission. I guess that would make it a ZF S5-31 (?) which I don't think is a dog leg. I'm no expert. In any case, there can't be much left of that clutch. The owner needs an automatic. :(

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
The listing says it is a ZF transmission. I guess that would make it a ZF S5-31 (?) which I don't think is a dog leg. I'm no expert. In any case, there can't be much left of that clutch. The owner needs an automatic. :(

I can smell that poor clutch from here. I'm not sure he's comfortable with a manual.. He has a hard time finding 3rd a couple of times. Thank God it's not an older 911. He'd still be at that stoplight trying to find a gear...

Tim D

Reaction score
BaT wouldn’t let me contact the seller. If anyone knows him - and he would be interested in talking about a sale - please ask him to send me a PM here. Thanks.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Throw a flag for piling on, but that driving video was truly awful. I think my record on driving videos is clear by now: if it ain't got drone footage of the car sitting in a parking lot or of its garage, it ain't (ahem) fit.

Kidding of course. I prefer driving videos where they "give it the beans." As long as the driver isn't thrashing it or crossing double yellow lines on a blind corner, it gets the thumbs up from me. I realize this opinion reflects my lack of interest in cars with 32 miles that can't be driven. It's probably also related to the fact that I'm not a gazillionaire so such a purchase never even enters my mind. If I were, I'd like to think I'd be a Nick Mason sort of collector. "Hello, love. Your turn for a romp around."

I turned the sound down on the video because it was so annoying. Watching him shift I just assumed it was a dog leg. Hah! Anyway, regardless of my preferences for driving videos, anybody considering buying a twin-turbo E9 is probably not terribly interested in provenance or just tootling around. What's the point? The twin turbos don't add much value, if any, unless they're actually used. Otherwise why bother?

Perhaps the "but honey, I really tried to sell it," theory is true.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Twin turbos don't add value unless used, but I suspect that if you use them you would quickly find the limits of the car's structure.
True, and I didn't mean to suggest it was a good idea. It's like Chekhov's old maxim: if you introduce a gun in a story, you better use it.