Two tone turn signal lenses?

lloyd

Reaction score
While gassing up at a petrol station, I was approached by a passerby who asked a number of questions about the coupe. He volunteered that his neighbor (somewhere in Virginia) had two that were from Italy. I asked how he knew they were from Italy and he responded by telling me that they both had "two tone turn signals."

I know that Italiano 2002's had amber and clear lenses that are evidently much sought after, but I have never seen or heard of these multicolored lenses on e9s. (I did have some extremely light amber (sun faded) lenses - but they lived most of their lives in Koln.)

Fact, Fiction or somewhere in between?

TIA

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
The parts catalog refers to specific lenses and housings for Italian delivery coupes and I have seen a photograph of them.

lloyd

Reaction score
Danke, for the fotos. After posting, I did check the REALOEM site to answer my own question, but I also thank you Tilla. I am somewhat surprised in that I have looked at several "alleged" Italian delivery coupes and none of them had the two colored lenses.

Realoem indicates they are no longer produced and/or unavailable. Are they available? What is the going rate?

Danke, again.

lloyd

Reaction score
Question for Tilla

I read elsewhere that you drive an Italian delivery model. Just curious, what happened to your "two tone" directional lenses?

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe did not have the two tone lenses when I acquired it, I does have the European bases which provide for a single filament bulb which differs from the US spec which has a dual filament bulb to provide turn signal / marker lighting. Also US version turn signal lens protrudes out more than the European version.

lloyd

Reaction score
There seems to be quite a number of Italian-delivery versions in North America. I have no basis for this conclusion other than when I looked for a coupe on the West Coast of the US, it "seemed" that every other car on the market (1990's) was supposedly a gray-market version from Italy. None that I recall had the two tone lenses and some were even retrofitted with the US larger turn signal lens assembly of which you spoke.

I wonder what happened to all of those Italian market lenses? Could it be that those importers responsible for making gray market cars compliant with US regs, tossed them?':wink:'

Malc

Reaction score
E9's imported to the US from Italy in the 80's -90's...
Makes sense
Less rust
cheap, when remembering the US Dollar/Italian Lira exchange rates

I suspect the parts the importers had to change ended up in the bin.
Malc

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1972 CSi had European lenses that were solid amber, perhaps the laws in Italy changed and the two-tone lamps were no longer required by then.