Tygaboy's '74 - An Update/Improve Effort

tygaboy

Reaction score
Seems best to start with a bit of a detailed intro.

Hi all, I'm Chris, a long time E9 lover and forum lurker. I've always been a Porsche guy but my best buddy had a '73 back in the '80s and I've loved them since then. Just ended up sticking with Porsches as the cars I favored. I was in the tech business in the '90s and one of my customers bought a '74 E9 to go with his 2002 collection. He ended up hiring me and was my boss for about 6 years. His E9 was a CA car until about 10 years ago when he moved to VA but it was always a Sunday driver so avoided the wet. Anyway, I told him if he ever sold it, I demanded first right of refusal. He called about a month ago, said he was ready to sell and we were able to agree on a price. It was shipped out and arrived on Oct. 16.

It's been maintained but has its issues; primarily those big bumpers and an automatic trans, IMHO. The driver floor has some minor rust, the engine is tired, it needs shocks and tires... Sounds perfect for what I'm calling an "update/improvement" effort. But before I get into that, maybe some background on me:

I have a (bad?) habit of going a little overboard modifying my cars. I'm the final throws of building a 914 V8 with an LS3/Boxster 6-speed and a TON of custom fabrication. Things like I stamped my own firewall panels and moved it forward 1.5" in the chassis so I could move the drive train forward and reduce CV axle angles. I eliminated all switches and operate all the electronics from a wireless steering wheel panel, I plasma cut a set of hood vents... the list goes on. And on. If you want to waste hours and hours reviewing a 5-year, 180+ page build, here's the link to the build on 914 World.

Then there's the Mercedes endurance racer build: a 2001 CL500 with Corvette suspension, converted to mid engine (another LS but this time a Cayman PDK trans) and best of all, central seating! A ways to go on this one but it's getting there. The build thread is on Grassroots Motorsports.

At this point, I can imagine you might be getting worried that I'm about to cut up an E9 and do something really bad to it. But fear not. I understand how special these cars are and that we're simply their current custodians. I do plan some mods but only things like euro bumpers, a 5-speed, and a suspension/wheel upgrade. An interior refresh is in order, as is some paint work. It'll stay the factory color.

I'm new to these wonderful autos and will apologize in advance for what will likely be many newbie questions. Thanks for your patience and support as I get up to speed.

So anyway, that's me. More importantly, here's my car! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4289.JPG
    IMG_4289.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 260

tygaboy

Reaction score
Barn find? I'll show you barn find! These Recaro LS seats were in my buddy's actual country barn. His old, gaps-in-the-walls-and-floors, rustic and falling down barn. Where feral cats and probably racoons and opossums lived - and slept on these. They were COVERED in animal hair. :oops: They must have been there for, oh, maybe 15 years. He had them in his 911 but chucked them in the barn until we were poking around the other day, looking for something. I see them in the corner and ask "what the heck are those and do you want to sell them?" No headrests but those look to be available. Yes, they'll get rebuilt and recovered in something matchy-match to the car's interior. And they're certainly comfy!

The real question is: Do I think they'd look appropriate in the car?

Anyone have these installed? Do you like them/do they look good? Can you share pics?

Attachments

• IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 211

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing work and congrats on acquiring your e9. You are going down the same path as Paul Cain with his 74 but his will retain stock seats.

tygaboy

Reaction score
Amazing work and congrats on acquiring your e9. You are going down the same path as Paul Cain with his 74 but his will retain stock seats.

Thanks and yep, I've been following Paul's thread, particularly after watching the BAT auction for that car. I'm not set on moving to those seats. I'll likely just set them in the car to see if I like how they look, assuming I can get past the current upholstery. I actually love that material, just not in my particular car!

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good luck with the rebuild.

Mine was a ‘74 with the big bumpers. You won’t regret filling in all of those bumper holes for a clean look.

RP

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone have these installed? Do you like them/do they look good? Can you share pics?
I had Recaro LS in my previous coupe. All black though. I absolutely loved the comfort and snug feel of them. But, to be honest, to me they did not fit the character of the car. Now this is an entirely subjective thing of course. Anyone should do what they are happiest with. But they felt a little too "racer" and not "Grand Tourer" to me. They were much more at home in my Tii. They are also a bit more difficult to get in and out of. But I was uncomfortable with the stock seats so for the current car I went with something that was much more adjustable and in a -somewhat- similar style with the e92 seats.

Bottom line: To each his own but, since you asked for opinions from those who had those particular Recaros in their coupe....

tygaboy

Reaction score
I had Recaro LS in my previous coupe. All black though. I absolutely loved the comfort and snug feel of them. But, to be honest, to me they did not fit the character of the car. Now this is an entirely subjective thing of course. Anyone should do what they are happiest with. But they felt a little too "racer" and not "Grand Tourer" to me. They were much more at home in my Tii. They are also a bit more difficult to get in and out of. But I was uncomfortable with the stock seats so for the current car I went with something that was much more adjustable and in a -somewhat- similar style with the e92 seats.

Bottom line: To each his own but, since you asked for opinions from those who had those particular Recaros in their coupe....
Bo - That's my initial sort of feeling too. I know they're great seats, just not sure they're great for this car. Thanks for your perspective.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think these seat by GTS would look fantastic in a coupe. Not sure how they would feel but they are sexy. Chrome plate the side covers and you're golden...

Attachments

• 20211101_170128.jpg
    20211101_170128.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 20211101_170105.jpg
    20211101_170105.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 162

tygaboy

Reaction score
Ha! Pillar-less seats! Much as I am too often motivated by "mine is different", those may be just that little bit too much, even for me. And that's saying something!
That said, if something like that had come in the car from the factory? We'd all think they were the best ever...

tygaboy

Reaction score
Getting to know the car and?
Shoot. Oh well... spare tire well, that is! :p Thanks, I'm here all week!
And the driver side floors, both front and rear areas, have some rust pin holes so they'll need a bit of love, too.
I've done a fair bit of panel replacement in my 914, and none of the things I've discovered are so bad that they need immediate fixing. But fixed they shall be! Just maybe not right away.
The joys of E9 ownership, eh?

IMG_4379.JPG

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think these seat by GTS would look fantastic in a coupe. Not sure how they would feel but they are sexy. Chrome plate the side covers and you're golden...
reminiscent of Alfa's flying buttress seats (1969 Sprint GT), but sportier.
To my eye they don't fit the E9 cabin as well as those Recaro's. For an E9, I like a seat that's a bit wider in the upper back (hence my preference for a Scheel-Mann) or a Recaro Ideal-C

John

tygaboy

Reaction score
I figured that since I have them, I may as well see how they fit and how I like them. So I measured things, whipped up a quick CAD drawing, and plasma cut some adaptor plates.
Pardon the horrid condition of the seats. As I said, I just wanted to make sure I like them before I refurb these or buy new ones. Anyway, they fit well in the car and after taking it out for a quick drive, I really like how they feel. They don't sit me too high, either.
Note the adaptor pictured is "version 1". After seeing it in the car, I updated the design so the seat sits further back on the adaptor. This caused the sliding rails to be more appropriately situated over the base mount. As pictured, the assembly sits too far back.
Any way, so far, so good.
IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you plan to attend events by driving there, those seats will treat your body much better than the stock seats. I rather like being able to stand up straight when I first arrive at an event, as opposed to wondering how long it will be until I can do so.

tygaboy

Reaction score
I suggest you take some measurements and photos of the accelerator pedal location because it looks like you are going to need a new bracket and the floor below. This will ensure it is in the original position.
Thanks for the reminder! I've ordered floor panels from Mike Pelly so the fun and games will begin soon.

tygaboy

Reaction score
Well, well... The world never ceases to amaze. Turns out my brother has an '88 735i. Or should I say "had"! It's now sitting in my driveway, happily donating its 3.5 to my E9!
And on a related note, I realized I have too many projects and decided to hand off my coupe to Don (sfdon) and his team. It's getting a 5-speed, this 3.5 and a few other things done while it's there. Feels a little weird to have someone else doing "my work", but this way, it'll get done, done right and done sooner. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Attachments

• TJGV8268.JPG
    TJGV8268.JPG
    504.8 KB · Views: 143

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If they're going to pull the engine, maybe have it (the body) sent out and get the whole engine compartment painted and blasted?

Can do the rest of the exterior later after you've had fun with it for awhile from Don's retrofitting.