(UK) Distributor wanted for 2800cs

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I believe according to my internet sleuthing the correct Bosch model number is 0231162002 (please chime in to confirm / challenge - I am not where the car is right now so can't go and look and in any case it could have been changed at some point in its history I guess).

The reason I'm looking for one: My car has been rather crudely converted to unleaded fuel by the previous owner welding a blob on the base plate to prevent the ignition advancing as far as it should(!) - Therefore the base plate (at least) is scrap and I'd like to either change out the entire distributor or else canabalise one for the necessary parts.

Has anyone got one lying around they don't want silly money for?

Thanks.

dj_efk

Reaction score
You know what, I was looking at that conversion. I do have an expensive Lumenition optronic setup already installed however so was planning to go with that rather than chuck several times more money.

But then.... Shiny.....

Is it THAT much of a dramatic improvement in timing accuracy over the standard distributor converted to optical electronic ignition?! And does the standard 123 come with the optimal advance curve choices for UK / Euro fuel? Or better to go with the Tune version?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is it THAT much of a dramatic improvement in timing accuracy over the standard distributor converted to optical electronic ignition?

Yes it is, specially if you’ve been having trouble before. You will also have to change the coil and ideally a complete set of spark plugs and wires.
But yes, it doesn’t get better than the 123 (personally speaking). You can get the standard type or the one in which you can pre set the curves. Either way, it’s a one time investment and peace of mind for the future.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have an OE one from a 3.5 block engine that was removed by the Previous Owner who installed a Petronix system. Shipping might be too expensive, however.

Gary

dj_efk

Reaction score
Get the Tune version - worth the extra money

Hi Steve, thanks for the comment - I’m wondering if it’s worth it if my car is stock (albeit with a Spanish copy head and k&n filter elements in the original housing)?

I guess the real questions are for you, @Keshav and anyone else with experience of this setup (especially on an otherwise stock engine) are:

1) What are the pre-programmed advance curve profiles the standard / non-tune version comes with
2) Knowing there are more than one, does at least one exactly match the OEM for my 2800 engine? Where does 123 get these from?
3) Will I really get circa €90-100 worth of extra value out of the tune version (for which surely you’d want the slightly pricier Bluetooth version if you’re going there), with my almost-standard engine? I get the attraction for modified engines....

Gary - Thanks for the offer, as you say the shipping may be prohibitive.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you’ll get all your answers by speaking to a 123 distributor agency local to where you are. They are well versed on the subject and should/ will have all the answers. The ‘simple’ version does have pre set curves for your specific engine.......
As Steve pointed out, a tune version has more options and will ‘fine tune’ even further than the standard curves. Whether that’s what you need is an individual choice. There’s plenty you can read and lots of comments.

brettsul

Reaction score
im running the Bluetooth 123 on a 1970 2800cs - stock engine. I put in a new coil, sparks and spark leads at the time. Had it for about a year - timing is spot on in fact checked it all with a timing gun today at various RPM. The non programmable versions I believe come with some presets to choose from. On this Bluetooth version you can program your own curves - it doesn't come with any curves installed and you can't load them (maybe you can now?). The good thing about Bluetooth is you can sit in the car and watch everything as you drive. I dug into the BMW manual to get the recommended curves and entered them. Tweak from there. I've experimented on the curves but generally have come back to stock!. Just note the 123 does it's curves as crankshaft, the BMW manual is camshaft - so double everything. Im based in London.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, so you’ve kept the curve as per factory spec?

Have you noticed any performance or economy improvement?

brettsul

Reaction score
Thanks for posting, so you’ve kept the curve as per factory spec?

Have you noticed any performance or economy improvement?
Curve is factory spec at the moment but I'll tweak in due course to see if there is any 'improvement'. I was originally just going to convert the original distrib to electronic ignition which would have done the same thing to be honest - ie resulted in rock solid timing (no points to tweak with every 6 months); stable idle; easy start, more efficient economy? - maybe but these cars are not efficient anyway. Not that those things are entirely reliant on the distributor but it helps. The 123 is a bit of indulgence to 'see' what is happening and tweak and experiment to your driving style. ie. you can set up profiles for hill climb style driving with more advance in lower end, versus motorway driving. And so forth. Would I recommend? Yes, for reliability. The immobiliser alone is useful.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I believe according to my internet sleuthing the correct Bosch model number is 0231162002 (please chime in to confirm / challenge - I am not where the car is right now so can't go and look and in any case it could have been changed at some point in its history I guess).

The reason I'm looking for one: My car has been rather crudely converted to unleaded fuel by the previous owner welding a blob on the base plate to prevent the ignition advancing as far as it should(!) - Therefore the base plate (at least) is scrap and I'd like to either change out the entire distributor or else canabalise one for the necessary parts.

Has anyone got one lying around they don't want silly money for?

Thanks.

Going through some rough running issues with my 2800CS, it seems that my distributor might be the culprit. So I checked and it is a slightly different Bosch part number from what you mentioned: 0231162001 (JFUDR 6)... Which is right?

1588014432924.png