UK members - anyone got a passenger side rear quarter waistline trim strip?

69_2800cs

Reaction score
I’m after one of these in good / better condition to replace the one that got scratched up by an altercation with a garage wall - Does anyone have a lead on where I can get one? BMW is out of stock.

I’d need some help getting it sent to my parents place also, happy to pay a little extra if someone has the time to lash up something to protect the shape ready for a courier.

Thanks!

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m after one of these in good / better condition to replace the one that got scratched up by an altercation with a garage wall - Does anyone have a lead on where I can get one? BMW is out of stock.

I’d need some help getting it sent to my parents place also, happy to pay a little extra if someone has the time to lash up something to protect the shape ready for a courier.

Thanks!

Good afternoon

I see that Walloth & Nesch still list this part (51131810545) at 176.60 euros.

I have just checked my parts bin. Unfortunately the left rear strip I have is in one piece but is corroded and would need re-finishing.
I don't think this is what you are looking for but if you are desperate let me know.

By chance the right rear strip is in good shape - isn't that always the way!!!

Good luck.

Marco

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recall that W&N waistline trim (Belt line) is reproduction, and not at all fitting especially the contour wrapping around the rear corner to the trunk/bootlid. Just heard it, not seen it myself.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Get the old one re-polished. Simple and cost effective.

Where are you based?

Yes if the gouge isn’t bad you can do this. Even if it is kind of “deep” you can still probably sand it out.

I have both sides. I am willing to ship to the UK if you are in a bind. They would still need to be polished though so start with Rek’s suggestion.

dj_efk

Reaction score
The car is in Berkshire.

If the trim is anodised aluminium then polishing will go through the anodised layer - can this be redone by a polishing shop? I have zero knowledge here but as I too have heard the repro trims don’t fit correctly then if it’s possible, I’m up for trying it. Just wondered what others have done.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You want to get it to a smooth mahoney polished finish. From there you can do the following:

Chromic Anodising (uk spelling)

or

Ceramic Coated

I know folks that prefer one or the other. With polishing/dipping/plating you usually deal with a minimum batch size. It may be the time to redo the whole belt-line.

Since you are headed down the path of removing your trim... Review the subjects on belt-line bolts and nuts as well.

dj_efk

Reaction score
So does the rest of the set of trims need to be done at the same time to match the finish on this piece I wonder...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So does the rest of the set of trims need to be done at the same time to match the finish on this piece I wonder...

Whether others see the difference or not is difficult to know. You will surely see the difference. :D

pat cooks

Reaction score
I may have a good used trim in the UK (Essex) will remessage if I find one, Pat

pat cooks

Reaction score
Ok, I have found a genuine NOS left trim in my stash, let me know if you are interested, as I have two E9's it won't be cheap but I hope good value! if you are interested I will pull it out of the polythene sleeve to check actual condition, if you can work out how contact me directly, Pat

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree with Markos! Go for the old stock , used or new if sanding and polishing didn’t remove the scratch. New ones even BMW made are thicker and don’t fit properly specially for the rear quarter panel which you need.
If you end up having to polish it I suggest doing the complete belt line like Markos suguested. proper steps after removal of all of the belt lines are:
1- having the anodized finish removed . There are a lot of places that can do that for you. Any shop that does anodising or plating should be able to do that. Call them first. This should be relatively cheap for all of them they shouldn’t charge you but $50. Most often you can wait 20 min while they get it done for you.
2- sand and polish to shine. After this stage the surface is relatively soft and can easily be scuffed or scratched. So protect them properly while you prepare to go to the next step.
3- have a proper shop do what Marco suggested, Chromic Anodizing, or anodising Type 1.

Then all of the belt line will have the same sheen and they look better than new.

Last edited: