Under Hood Sound Insulation

JimV

Site Donor
Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin, Northeastern Indiana - sma
The original three piece sound insulation for e3 is NLA from BMW but I recently came across a fellow BMW guy in Texas who has sourced material which is a near perfect match. He had patterns for 2002, CS and others but not e3, so we worked together to come up with one. I have to add my wife to the mix too, as she came up with the idea of using freezer paper for the initial pattern which we then transferred to poster board.

I'm pleased with the end result which was just installed yesterday. It looks original, I like the contrast to the expanse of under hood paint and most importantly, it does reduce the noise level. I can still hear the music of the glorious M30 out front, but hard edges are now softened a bit which is exactly what I was seeking.

They were made by Anthony Werre and his (very) part-time venture is called Squatch Pads. Email is [email protected] He has an established presence on the 2002FAQ forum - For Sale section/parts.

I have no affiliation with Anthony other than my satisfaction with his product and that he was a pleasure to work with. The set is $125 + $17 shipping via UPS in continental US.

Cheers,
Jim

Here's what they look like:

IMG_7243-XL.jpg

Last edited: